Optimax 115

arkedup

Hi and welcome to Fishraider. We sell the OPTI range and yes they are good engines, just be aware that on a heavy glass boat like your Ventura I think the 3 cylinder OPTI might be a bit light on HP. If the company that is selling you the outboard is saying it will perform well, tell them that if it does not easily plane the boat with 3-4 adults in it and cruise at its ideal RPM range of 3500 RPM than you want the option of being able to give it back to them.

If I was personally putting a new outboard on that boat the V4 115HP E-TEC easily outperfoms the 115HP OPTI and is a much quieter engine without things like compressors and compressor belts, two injectors per cylinder and expensive spark plugs. Also with the 3 year service intervals the E-TEC will save you about $1500 in servicing costs. Do not forget also that the XL 115HP E-TEC runs the V6 gearbox that is never stressed running 115HP thru it because it is the same g/box they use on the 250HP E-TEC and also having the ratio and prop size of the V6 box is much better for heavy glass boats in terms of planing it.

Two weeks ago at Club E-TEC, BRP did the same performance test as they did last year with the 115HP and a 115HP 4-Stroke, but this year the E-TEC went head to head against the 115HP OPTI and let me tell you the 4-Stroke last year out performed the OPTI this year. Before anyone cries foul, both engines were reaching their WOT RPM and in fact the OPTI was bouncing on its rev limiter with both engines running, so they were correctly propped, but just like last year the E-TEC could plane the 6.5M Haines Hunter with 5 adults on board, while the OPTI did not even come close to planing the boat by itself-it all has to do with the bigger cubic capacity of the E-TEC and the torque it producing, which is the most important thing when it comes to getting boats on the plane. The 115HP E-TEC used in these teats was only the longshaft version, so it did not have the advantage of a the bigger gearbox like the XL V4 on your boat will also have. Other things like the fact that the OPTI was a bigger and noiser engine also would make me choose the V4 E-tec over ANY other 115HP on the makret today.

That said, if you want an OPTI and you trust the dealer go for it, just be aware of what I believe are the down sides of the 115HP OPTI.

I wish you the best of luck with your desicion, but you should at least price up the 115HP E-TEC, which will probably cost more, but you get what you pay for in life and as you can guess I believe the V4 E-TEC is unbeatable.

Cheers,

Huey.

hi sammy i was currios how long u have had your opti for and what size and sort of boat it is on

Hi.

I've got the 90 Opti too. On a Stacer 5.25 Bowrider. Brilliand motor. But. Possibly a bit light on power wise for a glass boat. Mine does 31knots flat on glass out water. You'd do less.

I'd go a Yammie or the new Merc 4 str. be4 an E'Tec. They not all that popular up here. Some have problems with dropping into Limp home mode. And all our foshing is wide. Minimum 40km. Quite often a lot more.(60 to 70km each way). Straight out. Apart from the islands. 15km

If those new Merc 4str, had been out, I reckon I'd have got one of those over the 2 str. Nearly bought a Suzi/Johnno 4 str.

Evinrude good strong motors.

But I've done a round world trip twice in last 4 yrs. Canada States Both say same thing. Still got problem with fuel System.

Brother in law. Johnno Service in Canada. says to me.There's always a lot in wksp. Look elsewhere or the 4 strokes.. I did.

Macka17

hi Macka

thanks for your reply i had a johnson 90 on it till it did a ring and lost all compession in 1 cylinder and yes it was a bit of a slug I could only get just above 30 mph or so from it I decided to go the merc 2 stroke because my last merc was unbreakable

i m hoping that the extra 25 hp from the new 115 opti will give it enough power to keep me happy without breaking the bank for fuel like the old v6 merc did on the boat before this 1

I hope to pickup the boat from the workshop tommorow or tuesday so i will see how it goes then I will let u know

It was a hard decision with so many motors to choose from now only time will tell if it was the right choice

but i think it was a good decision to go this what I trust and not to base my choice on hype and marketing

regads

arked

Hi.

I've got the 90 Opti too. On a Stacer 5.25 Bowrider. Brilliand motor. But. Possibly a bit light on power wise for a glass boat. Mine does 31knots flat on glass out water. You'd do less.

I'd go a Yammie or the new Merc 4 str. be4 an E'Tec. They not all that popular up here. Some have problems with dropping into Limp home mode. And all our foshing is wide. Minimum 40km. Quite often a lot more.(60 to 70km each way). Straight out. Apart from the islands. 15km

If those new Merc 4str, had been out, I reckon I'd have got one of those over the 2 str. Nearly bought a Suzi/Johnno 4 str.

But I've done a round world trip twice in last 4 yrs. Canada States Both say same thing. Still got problem with fuel System.

Brother in law. Johnno Service in Canada. says to me.There's always a lot in wksp. Look elsewhere or the 4 strokes.. I did.

Macka17

Hi.

Macka17

Only 31 knots? i get around 36kn in my 5.3m runabout in calm conditions!! how much does your stacer weigh?

[

Only 31 knots? i get around 36kn in my 5.3m runabout in calm conditions!! how much does your stacer weigh?

You Ain't seen what I carry.

2 or 3 large people (I'm 110kg) 100ltr underfloor tank. Plus 60ltr in bows All fishing tackle for three. and Scotty takes the shop with him. . Icebox. ice. bait.Auxhiliary motor. Swags. food/drink.

We go out overnight.40/70 km. Plus hours of trolling at 6 to 8 knots.

17in prop. I reckon she does well considering. Spends most of her life at 3.9/4.100 anyway. plus trolling. Open her up occasionally when a bit late for sunup.

She's a great seaboat for her size though. Come back safely quite a few times when it blows up out there. 20/25/30knots on stern quarter. Sitting on the 16/18 knots. Riding the backs of. She doesn't dig her nose in and veer off like the Quinnie's do.

Cuddy cabin would be safer. But I use this boat on the dams for Barra. That lovely open foredeck (Bowrider) is to good to miss out on, and towing grandkids on Tyre too. It's a compromise.

Oh. I carry two commercial 1 1/2 in bore bilge pumps for trawlers under floor too. Plus a fitted bow cover when travelling out wide.

Regards

Macka17

• 3 weeks later...

Macka...

out of curiosity what RPM do you reach at WOT?

Sorry i'm late. Been out doing a green zone fishing survey for last two weeks.

I get about 5.400revs. flat. That's in a Slight sea though. Not on flat water. That only happens about three days a year up here.

We live with the S.E Trades. or 20+kn Northerlies. most of the year. I've been out wide 4 times since last chistmas..

Out of interest. We did survey on mates new 6.6 Trailcraft centre cabin. W/Around. 225 Verado on back of.

Motor. Brilliant. Boat. Great fishing platform. If you could borrow a Glass boat to get out there and back..

Mind you we travelled everywhere at 23 to 31 knots. in seas with 15 to 25 kn winds Mainly the 25kn end of spectrum. Not one day wind under 20 knots till last Friday. (And I didn't go. Crook neck)

Great fishing platform. But. we had whole boat out of water quite a lot. Prop as well. When travelling into it.

Running at 23/26kn. Don't they come down with a bang..

NOTHING beats that Deep V. when in a seaway....

See ya.

Macka17

Buy yourself the OPTIMAX forget about all the free E-TEC DVD'S if they were that good you wouldn' be getting those CD's in your cornflakes box as well.All those yanks cant be wrong.

Tony.

Hi Tony, thanks for your post, very good informative info you gave everyone.

Cheers,

Huey.

hi Macka

thanks for your reply i had a johnson 90 on it till it did a ring and lost all compession in 1 cylinder and yes it was a bit of a slug I could only get just above 30 mph or so from it I decided to go the merc 2 stroke because my last merc was unbreakable

i m hoping that the extra 25 hp from the new 115 opti will give it enough power to keep me happy without breaking the bank for fuel like the old v6 merc did on the boat before this 1

I hope to pickup the boat from the workshop tommorow or tuesday so i will see how it goes then I will let u know

It was a hard decision with so many motors to choose from now only time will tell if it was the right choice

but i think it was a good decision to go this what I trust and not to base my choice on hype and marketing

regads

arked

Hi.

if your 90 2 stroke did 30. The Opti will do a little more. on half the fuel consumption. Less than E'Tec's too.

Realistically. How often do you fly round at full throttle. I do most travelling at 3.900/4100 revs. 19/21 knots. Fuel consumption av. 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 km per ltr. Depending on seas.

Wind it up to 4600/5000 on long trips out wide. Weather permitting. Still quite economical.

These people go on about quietness. It's a two stroke for christ sake. Does it matter if there's a bit of noise. It's all behind you anyway.

ALso. these new models have SmartCraft built in. in price of boat. Would have Cost me $2 1/2 k extra.

I want to go faster. Mates have 21-25 ft boats with 200+ hp's on backs of. I go out with them and pay juice bill.

Just make sure you get a spare compressor belt in deal. and I carry a replacement hub bush too. Just in case.

I played with props too. 16/17/19 in. settled on 17in for my boat. Your dealer should do same.

I got one of those Plastic, replacable blade props too. As a spare. ( $350 with spare blade.) Seems to work ok. Think I'd go Ally next time though.

If you go above 115. Look at the 135 Opti. V6 2.5 ltr. I think they take that one out 175hp.. So it's a well detuned donk.

Macka17

Buy yourself the OPTIMAX forget about all the free E-TEC DVD'S if they were that good you wouldn' be getting those CD's in your cornflakes box as well.All those yanks cant be wrong.

Tony.

No worrys Huey, dont tell me you thought I was a bit one sided did you?

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents worth.

I have a 115 Etec and have had it for just over 12 months. It sits on the back of a 530 Haines.

All I will say if that if I was to buy another outboard tomorrow I would ensure it was an etec regardless of size.

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents worth.

I have a 115 Etec and have had it for just over 12 months. It sits on the back of a 530 Haines.

All I will say if that if I was to buy another outboard tomorrow I would ensure it was an etec regardless of size.

You really cant go wrong with any of the top four brands.

I am also running a 115 etec on my 5.5m platey.

I think that its a great engine, it pushes me along at 35kts in calm and gets on plane easily enough with 5 on board.Last trip out we travelled wide of kiama canyons at 4500rpm trolled 7hrs and back at 3700 total of 100km and used 80lts of fuel.

I am running rebel prop.

I have heard nothing but good reports with optis though.

Hope this helps.

Luke

There must be a lot of good 115hp outboards out there, but personally I would be careful trusting the marketing hype of both American (yes I know OMC is Canadian owned but American manufucatured) manufacturers. In the case with Mercury, I hope their newer outboards are better than their older outboards, as they have made some terribly unreliable ones in years gone by.

If you are after a 115hp 4 stroke, the Suzuki 115hp is best in class. The Suzuki 115hp leads the field in lowest profile (ie, much smaller size than all other 115hp outboards due to their excellent design, helped by use of offset crankshafts), they have the highest cc and greatest torque in their class, and to top this off, they are also one of the lightest. OMC's Etec and Tohatsu's DFI are lightest. Just look at the truly independent tests out there. A good starting point is boatpoint, Andrew Norton has been doing independent outboard tests and reviews for many years and I believe he is unbiased. You can get the boatpoint tests for free on boatpoint.com.au . NZ propeller magazine is onother good source for independant boat tests. Beware that there are alot of boating journalists out there who are not truly independant, because they have a financial/commercial relationship with certain manufacturers. Even Huey from Huett Marine who does not sell Suzuki outboards will admit that Suzuki make some 'brilliant' 4 stroke outboards. I know this because he has told me so.

Good luck with it. And try to get truly independant research. Don't be swayed by all the clever marketing from the manufacturers.

Hi Stringray, thank-you for your input on this never ending subject. You are correct most 115HP are great engines and as I tell alot of people if I was forced to buy a 4-Stroke the Suzuki and when made the 4-Stroke Johnson would be my choice and I have run them all. In fact I have all the 4-Strokes reps coming to visit wanting us to sell their range of 4-Stroke outboards, and even though they are all good engines not one rep can give me a good reason why I should buy a 4-Stroke over a DFI 2-Stroke. They all compare their engines to carby 2-Strokes and yes I am the first to admit that I would buy a 4-Stroke B4 a Carby but that is not a fair and accurate comparision. They all use the sales pitch that 4-Strokes are better for the dealer to sell becasue I make more money in servicing, which is true, but I just do not like the way a 4-Stroke will perform compared to the same size 2-Stroke, that is why we recommend the brand we do, even though I do myself out of about $1500 in servicing.

Yes there is alot of hype out there, but I tell people, and have done so myself, to goto each manufacturers website and they all have performance reports done "in house" (so they all make them as good as posssible) and you can often compare the same boat with the different brands of outboards on the back of the boat.

I am sure Arked is more than happy with his OPTI and as mentioned all major brands are good outboard today.

One little thing mate, there is no such thing as OMC anymore. It is now BRP and in our 45 years of continual operation they are the best company we have ever dealt with and we have dealt with them all.

Cheers,

Huey.

Sorry Huey, yes off course its BRP these days. One thing I will add is that Huey is a damn nice bloke and I found him to be honest and diligent. I just wish he sold Suzuki 4 strokes and then I would have bought not one but 2 x new Suzuki 4 strokes off him in recent years. He is sticking with his BRP DFI engines and he has his reasons. I can see DFI having an advantage in skiing applications, but I doubt they will match 4 strokes for longevity and 4 strokes are nearly always quieter. And with BRP Etec's there is often a weight saving, with Mercury DFI tending to be heavier. But what I really struggle to understand is how people can put there hard earned cash into a Mercury Verado 4 stroke. Despite having tiny displacements (granted these are aided by a supercharger) these motors are absolutely HUGE in overall size and they are all overweight. And the independent performance reports suggest they do not make up for these shortcomings in the performance stakes either. Suzuki 4 strokes just leave these Verados for dead IMO !

Hi Stingray, I wish you all the best with your Suzuki and as I have said they are good engines, and Suzuki are wanting us to sell their product but until someone can show me a 30 year old 4-Stroke outboard still running it is a bit hard for someone to say that a 4-Stroke will outlive a 2-Stroke, when I can show you ALOT of 30 year old 2-Stroke still happily running- I am not saying that they will not last this long, but no one can prove it yet. What the DFI technology has done is to take a proven design in the marine environment and made it clean, quiet and fuel efficient. I say to people all the time, if a 4-Stroke powerhead makes a better power soucre for an outboard, why were they not made 20 years ago. The reason is that without any emission regualtions there was no reason to make a heavier and more complicated engine compared to what has been around since 1909. This goes the same for DFI technology and even though the EPA has made 4-Stroke and DFI 2-Stroke come about it is the best thing that has happened to outboards from the end users point of view. Outboards today are so much better than the older "dirty" design that once people have experienced a new outboard you would never want to go bakc to an old tech outboard, and this is been bakced up in the sales figures, where dirty engines are really struggling to sell, even though they cost less.

As for noise I would also disagree and an E-TEC at idle will be a little noiser than the best 4-Stroke, but on the plane at cruising speed it is the opposite because the E-TEC does not have to work as hard and therefore is quieter than any 4-Stroke at the same speed, I have experienced this many times.

I agree with you about the Verado, they are a good design, but they need to add the supercahrger to produce and engine that will match what the OPTIMAX does already without the complication of a supercharger, valves, camshafts, valve return springs, timing chain, valve seals and mcuh more. They are nice engines in terms of quietness, especially the 6 cylinder engines, but they are huge, heavy and very complicated even for a 4-Stroke, but I honestly rate them and I would not say that the Suzuki leave them for dead-I rate them No.1 and 2 in the 4-Stroke market.

As I have said many times this discussion can go on for ever and the best thing is that people can make the own desecion when it comes time to re-power their boat or buy a new boat and all the main players make good engine today and they are all much more reliable than outboard were even 10 years ago.

Cheers,

Huey.

[

You Ain't seen what I carry.

2 or 3 large people (I'm 110kg) 100ltr underfloor tank. Plus 60ltr in bows All fishing tackle for three. and Scotty takes the shop with him. . Icebox. ice. bait.Auxhiliary motor. Swags. food/drink.

We go out overnight.40/70 km. Plus hours of trolling at 6 to 8 knots.

17in prop. I reckon she does well considering. Spends most of her life at 3.9/4.100 anyway. plus trolling. Open her up occasionally when a bit late for sunup.

She's a great seaboat for her size though. Come back safely quite a few times when it blows up out there. 20/25/30knots on stern quarter. Sitting on the 16/18 knots. Riding the backs of. She doesn't dig her nose in and veer off like the Quinnie's do.

Cuddy cabin would be safer. But I use this boat on the dams for Barra. That lovely open foredeck (Bowrider) is to good to miss out on, and towing grandkids on Tyre too. It's a compromise.

Oh. I carry two commercial 1 1/2 in bore bilge pumps for trawlers under floor too. Plus a fitted bow cover when travelling out wide.

Regards

Macka17

Macka, you've turned that poor stacer into a barge! :1yikes::1yikes::074:

Hi Ant, the point I am making is that there are 30 year old 2-Strokes still running and can be reliable if they have been maintained well. I agree with you that the newer engines are much better as I said, but I can guarentee you that the reasons the manufacturers starting making 4-Strokes and DFI is to meet emissions. Customer might not see this as the top reason to buy the engines, but it is why they exisit. I personally would put performance in a No.2 if I was ranking what I look for in an outboard, but other that that you list is pretty spot on with ease of ownership also high up on the list.

Cheers.

Huey.

Huey, I would not take a 30 Year old 2 stroke out to sea. Sure they are easier to fix and maintain which is why there are 30YO 2 strokes, but they are definitely not as reliable. Which is why I believe 4 strokes AND Di's came about. People wanted the following in order of IMPORTANCE.

1. Reliabilty

2. Fuel Efficiency

3. Quiteness

4. Less emissions

Just my opinion, and you are still the best in the business in my book, but I differ on the opinions of why this new technology came about.

Anthony

Modern motors are great but look at their initial purchase price.

I think all manufacturers have been very lucky that thre is still some old carby motors around as it gives them a point of difference to argue about. When you compare like for like modern motors it isn't a easy choice.

If carby didn't still exist there is no way the manufacturers would be getting the margins they must be making now. Several manufacturers have adapted car and motorbike blocks as a starting base and haven't had the development costs previously associated with new product and many other maufacturers are sharing models. I know factories have to research new gear and then change production at factory but the premium they are now charging can not be justified long term with the volume they are making now.

Without the carby jobs on the scene in out marketplace I think the price will drop as the marketing can no longer hold water that you pay a premium for new technology. All the technology in most 4 strokers has been around for 15 years in it's current format of electronics and is directly related to cars and bikes.

BRP got etec for a bargain and some risk so they haven't had huge developmentt.

All of them are doing lots of marketing and promotion and that is where the dollars are going.

I know someone is going to say 15 years ago a 100hp cost $8600 or something and now it only costs $10000 but they are now mass producing them in very effecient production lines etc etc.

BRP have an opportunity at some stage to be the price leader as they don't have the overheads and parts to stock etc and must have a cheaper base manufacturing cost. It will be interesting if they do or will all the majors not seriously compete. The 4 stroke guys are reliant on services and spare parts and the BRP dealers don't get that- only oil. Interesting to wonder why BRP dealers will keep selling if they don't get better margins as they won't get the upgrade path like the 4 strokes are as they wear. BRP parts for critical items out of warranty like all outboard manufacturers is out of control- computer brains are second mortgage material and totally unservicable.

Next couple of years will be interesting. Once BRP cements its reputation and reliability they will have lot of power in this Aussie market if they choose to exert it with a full product range. If they lowered the price the others would have to compete and the quickest way i to use poorer quality metal in castings- the other manufacturers reliability and corrosion problems would surface very quickly and BRP would gain large market share fast

Last point is warranty- the one place we fall behind is the warranty being offerred to us here in OZ. With such expensive spares and initial cost of motors it would be good to see hour based or 5 year warranty as with the ECU on the modern outboards the dealers can check for abuse and with so many rev limiters and electronics they should either work or not. What about reasonably priced extended warranties. .They could be priced on how good the engines actually are in different usage like salt / fresh water

There will be a lot of trade practice suits of just how long a product you purchase should be servicable outside warranty periods - is it a 5 year product or should a motor and it's electronics last 10 years???15???

A computer dieing in year 4 as an example is not good enough regadless or 1 or 2 years warranty and the manufacturers will be forced to supply replacements. There have been cases in other products of "built in redundancy" and with electronics this will always be a problem and relies on great trust by consumers when the product failure could cause death on the ocean. Manufacturers will start to have to issue lifecycle duration details like they do with deisel motors for industrial purposes or even Honda industrial motors. Light load 8000 hours etc etc

Edited by pelican