Interesting Article Re Yamaha V Etecs

netic

Interesting article

http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/hot_news/in...?hotnews_ma.asp

Article below

Yamaha Blasts The E-TEC Myth

DATE: 18-Oct-2007

Much has been claimed recently about BRP’s E-TEC technology with dazzling claims of alleged product superiority. Yamaha decided it was time to put the record straight so conducted testing on four 150 hp outboard engines… the, Yamaha 150hp carburettor two stroke, Yamaha VMAX 150, Yamaha F150 four stroke outboard and BRP E-TEC 150

In effect Yamaha pitted all of its three technology platforms against the E-TEC. And the results sure came back different to what the E-TEC marketing people have been spruiking.

“At Yamaha we have the luxury of manufacturing three technology platforms,” said Brett Hampson, National Sales and Marketing Manager for Marine Products at Yamaha Motor Australia.

“Rather than being locked into just one form of engine system, at Yamaha we can take a broad objective look at two stroke, four stroke and our High Pressure Direct Injection VMAX engines and make head to head comparisons.”

For the E-TEC test program a single hull (Haines Hunter 6M Breeze) was in turn rigged with each of the four outboard engines. Through the test procedure, each engine was propped for optimum performance. Only then was the test process rigorously documented under controlled conditions.

With electronic and manual recording equipment on hand, each engine was put through its paces. Data was collated to deliver irrefutable information in the five key categories that are of real interest to boaters… speed, economy, km travelled per litre of fuel, best cruise consumption and distance travelled per 200 litre tank.

Speed

Not surprisingly there was very little difference between the four outboards in terms of outright speed. All engines deliver 150hp at the prop, so not surprisingly, the speed right through the rpm range proved to be very similar if not nearly identical for every engine. In the speed category there are no winners and no losers.

Economy

Fuel economy is an area of key interest for boaters. Put simply boaters want to go further on less fuel. As expected the 2 stroke Yamaha used a little more fuel than the later technology engines.

Generally… that is except for the 4100 rpm to 5100 rpm where the E-TEC consumed a fraction more fuel than Yamaha’s 2-stroke 150hp outboard. Who would have thought that the E-TEC was a less fuel efficient outboard than Yamaha’s trust conventional 2-stroke?

Above 3500 rpm Yamaha’s VMAX 150hp model consumed less fuel than E-TEC and above 4500 rpm Yamaha’s 4-stroke F150 consumed less fuel than E-TEC.

In the economy stakes E-TEC is certainly not the tearaway fuel miser that some would have you believe. Depending on what rpm range you operate your engine, Yamaha VMAX, 2 stroke and 4-stroke engines are definitely less thirsty than E-TEC.

Kilometers Per Litre

Fuel consumption figures are one thing, but ‘how much fuel it takes to travel a given distance’ is the real world translation of the fuel data.

In the bottom end of the rev range, particularly around idle, E-TEC returns okay figures. But once the throttle pushes engine RPM above 1500 rpm, Yamaha’s 4-stroke F150 leads the way. From 1500 rpm to 3500 rpm, the F150 delivers more distance for less fuel than E-TEC. From about 3500 rpm to wide open throttle, Yamaha’s VMAX 150 outguns the E-TEC again delivering greater distance travelled on less fuel.

If the majority of your boating is sub 3500 rpm, then Yamaha’s 4 stroke F150 will deliver greater distance travelled than E-TEC. If you are more of a full throttle boater, then clearly Yamaha’s VMAX 150 is the fuel efficiency choice.

So how does this data translate to a day on the water? Yamaha took each rig and found the sweet spot; the performance criteria where best cruise speed consumption was achieved.

Best Cruise Consumption

Under this test situation, the Yamaha 4-stroke F150 travelled 1.89 kilometres per litre of fuel consumed. Second best was the Yamaha VMAX 150 outboard that travelled 1.67 kilometres on a litre of fuel. E-TEC came in a clear third, travelling 1.6 kilometres on a litre of fuel. Even under cruise conditions where E-TEC is supposed to be superior, Yamaha holds a distinct advantage with both its 4-stroke and VMAX technology.

Distance Travelled Per 200 Litre Tank

This is the ultimate test for any serious blue water angler. Given a 200 litre tank of fuel on board, how far can I travel – what is my cruise range?

Boaters will go further with both Yamaha 4-stroke and VMAX power than E-TEC. The Yamaha F150 delivered a cruise range of 378 km, the Yamaha VMAX 334 km. The E-TEC 150 will take boaters just 320 km on 200 litres of fuel at optimum cruise speed.

The simple answer for blue water boaters who want to go way offshore and come home again, is to choose Yamaha 4-stroke or Yamaha VMAX ahead of E-TEC. You will benefit from going further on less fuel.

Summary.

Sometimes things don’t quite line up the way the marketing gurus would have you believe. Yamaha’s testing under Australian conditions on an Australian built hull clearly demonstrates that Yamaha 4 stroke and VMAX technology in the main delivers superior fuel consumption and performance figures to E-TEC.

With three technology platforms on offer to customers (2-stroke, 4-stroke and VMAX) Yamaha is able to provide the most appropriate power choice to suit the customer’s style of boating. BRP offers a single technology platform - E-TEC.

Yamaha outboards are available through an Australia-wide network of authorised Yamaha outboard dealers. The Yamaha range comprises trusty and dependable two stroke models from 2hp to 200hp, High Pressure Direct Injection VMAX models from 150hp to 200hp and low emission fuel efficient four stroke models from 2.5hp to the world’s largest production outboard- the 350hp V8 Yamaha F350.

Edited by netic

Good read also and it was about time the other guys came out with their own testing on the same boat. I am sure all the Yamaha 150HP they tested all performed well and according to their own in house tests the Yamaha came out on top, no surprises there. I am sure the Yamaha are good engines and even if the fuel economy on a certain boat and propped correctly are better with Yamaha the cost of ownership will still be more with the 4-Stroke, Carby or HPDI.

I do not belive that the E-TEC used more fuel than a carby engine at 4100-5100RPM, but of course I can not prove it, but something does not add up there because in the real world where we have taken carby engines off boats and put E-TEC on the fuel usage has decreased.

All I can say is that BRP have doubled there market share in the last year and I am sure Yamaha would have liked to done that and they say they cover all bases, but to me you could say that Yamaha are hedging their bets a bit, while BRP, weather rightly or wrongly have decided to go the way they believe is best.

I still would buy an E-TEc personally over a Yamaha, but that is my choice and everyone has that ability to choose for themselves and just like BRPs marketting the guys at the Yamaha Marketting department can focus on what makes their engines better than the opposition.

Just my thoughts on this interesting topic and I look forward to more testing in coming years for all the brands.

Huey.

Thanks Netic

The most crucial thing about test by both manufacturers is that they are not independent or audited so either can skew it to their own advantage. I note the one thing missing in this test is the mid range speeds and confirmation that the same prop and setup was used on every test. What fuel was used? Torque curves? I won't even start on the methodolgy of the BRP tests and the way the marketers have used them. It is a bit of a black art. Good to see that it was Yamaha Australia dong the testing and not relying on overseas tests that can't be challenged as easily.

The only real results are fully independent ones that release every part of process and data and are documented properly not ones done for marketing.

Glad to see some more info out there but it also highlights the problem with the boating media especially in Australia. There doesn't ever seem to be the funding or expertise to do a propper job that isn't tied to the advertising dollars they receive so rarely are critical accurate results published. Sea medias stuff is at least reasonably consistant but still you rely on the manufacturers for some details and many incomplete tables that don't allow full comparison.

All this is ok if you are a govt dept and have a strong contractual position which guarantees warranty and servicable engines for x days a year and are replaced at 18 months or 1500hours at no additional cost but for us Joe Blo's on the street we really want to know how many hours we will get if we use it weekends , maintain it and need to resell it many years later.

I would really like figures like you get with deisel motors where it gives longevity in hours at certain stress and maintainance levels and a standardised manner of coming to those numbers along with real HP and torque readings.

I guess with the new ECU in motors a lot more real life data could be got if the manufacturers could be bothered

Pel

I've steered away from these types of posts in the past but I can't resist, here is a brief marketing 101 lesson for you.

1. Always pitch your products strength

2. To deminish your products weaknesses use stats (that you choose) to give the appearance that you are superior.

Let me use the market share one, note this is an example and does not relate to any outboard or manufacturer or product it's just to get people to look deeper into marketing claims.

For example: I currently have 1% of the market, if I increase it to 2% claiming I now have 2% of market share dose'nt sound too good but if I say I have doubled my market share, you the consumer will think gee everyone must be buying that I guess I should too.

All marketing hype, make your choice, understand what the advertising is saying stick to facts and critique the claims from all manufacturers and users. Ask yourself what is their interest in producing this data?

Hi Ant, your wish may come true, because I have spoken to BRP about this Yamaha test and they are aware of it because it was sent out to mags as a press release a while ago, and most dismissed it because it was not independantly done and very vague in detail.

Anyway talking to BRP this morning they are working on doing exactly what I think alot of people will be interested in and that is a test done independantly.

I am hoping this will come about because it will be the only way to prove once and for all who offers the best value for money when fuel economy, oil usage and service costs are factored in and performance especailly low down torque are all measured. (I personally, as mentioned, have seen and experienced the benefit of BRP product for my own two eyes and ears on an Oz made boat and both engines were propped correctly-but again it is only my word)

Just my 2 cents and I am hoping Yamaha and Merc and who ever else wants to supplies engines for this testing.

Cheers,

Huey.

Its definately true that until an independant test is done we will never know the truth but it is good to see Yamaha finally do some of its own test as BRP as been doing alot of testing for a while and we have never been able to verify there results.

I have mates who are sponsored by BRP and they swear by them but they have a financial interest in them and so you cant believe anything they say.....I recently got an offer to be sponsored by walker downriggers but part of the deal was i had to remove my scoptty riggers and i had to promote there stuff and demote Scotty and other brands.....couldnt do it as i felt like a hypocrte after preaching scotty for years...and i know that after using all brands of riggers that scotty are the best.

My point is that once you have been sponsored you must preach that product.....may it be Yamaha or Etec...even if you dont agree it is the best on the market. So what we read and see on DVD/TV aint always the truth.

Anthony, how does Iain go for fuel on Reel Addiction....i know he has a Yamaha four Stroke on it, Its smaller then your rig but i would still be interested to know.....

Hi Ant, your wish may come true, because I have spoken to BRP about this Yamaha test and they are aware of it because it was sent out to mags as a press release a while ago, and most dismissed it because it was not independantly done and very vague in detail.

Anyway talking to BRP this morning they are working on doing exactly what I think alot of people will be interested in and that is a test done independantly.

I am hoping this will come about because it will be the only way to prove once and for all who offers the best value for money when fuel economy, oil usage and service costs are factored in and performance especailly low down torque are all measured. (I personally, as mentioned, have seen and experienced the benefit of BRP product for my own two eyes and ears on an Oz made boat and both engines were propped correctly-but again it is only my word)

Just my 2 cents and I am hoping Yamaha and Merc and who ever else wants to supplies engines for this testing.

Cheers,

Huey.

Huey...who will be funding the tests???

Edited by netic

Hi Gonewishin, I understand your point of view and yes I know you were probably not referring to my statement about BRP doubling market share, but let me put it another way. BRP went from being 4th in "clean" engine sales last year to second this year, only 2% behind the market leader and BRP do not even have small E-TEC yet, while the other guys have clean engines below 40HP. When BRP get small E-TEC by about this time next year I think they are easily going to be number 1 in any way you look at it.

Not having a go at you and you are right about marketting, I take every thing I read with a grain of salt and I beleive I have been around long enough to make a decision on what I believe.

I will bow out of this now, because everyone know which I prefer and I wish every one good luck in what ever outbard engine they buy because at the end of the day all this competetion is only go for one person and that is us the "boaters"

Cheers,

Huey.

I've steered away from these types of posts in the past but I can't resist, here is a brief marketing 101 lesson for you.

1. Always pitch your products strength

2. To deminish your products weaknesses use stats (that you choose) to give the appearance that you are superior.

Let me use the market share one, note this is an example and does not relate to any outboard or manufacturer or product it's just to get people to look deeper into marketing claims.

For example: I currently have 1% of the market, if I increase it to 2% claiming I now have 2% of market share dose'nt sound too good but if I say I have doubled my market share, you the consumer will think gee everyone must be buying that I guess I should too.

All marketing hype, make your choice, understand what the advertising is saying stick to facts and critique the claims from all manufacturers and users. Ask yourself what is their interest in producing this data?

Hi Netic, I do not know this, but if it is like in the States, the magazine will approach a boat guy for a boat and then the outboard guys for outboards. Then each outboard guy is allowed to set-up the boat to its best potential and then they test.

Cheers and all the best with this topic,

Huey.

I would love to see an independent test done on all the brands, but to be fair, in particular a Vmax v Optimax V Etec. These are the premium DI engines on the market and the most popular. The problem is, none of the companies in question would endorse or sponsor such a test, simply because as Huey mentioned, they would not have the ability to promote their products winnings in the results of the testing. They will all be better then the other in at least one way, and that is what that particluar company would want to promote.

I am waiting for the day when one of the various boating magazines are going to bite the bullet and set up 3 engines and do the test. Sure, it will cost them some money, but I guarantee it would sell a damn lot of magazines. But as with most Publications, the danger of offending Major Sponsors is a good enough reason for them to steer clear of potentially defaming ANY of them.

We just need a rich Kid to do some testing.

There have been tests like this done.

They are on other sites on the web.

"Walleye boats" ;)

Greg

But then Mercury Verado claim they are "best" too......

http://www.mercurymarine.com/look_deeper/h...57&Filter=3

Far to much "smoke and mirrors" and "lies, damn lies and statistics" for me :wacko:

At the end of the day, ALL of the modern DI 2 strokes and 4 strokes are great, fuel efficient, quiet and reliable engines. The way you use, look after and maintain the engine (and your fuel) will probably have more impact on its operation that any of these claims and counter-claims.

My new boat will have a 175HP Suzuki on the back.

Reasons:

1. Largest displacement in its class - low stress on the engine

2. Variable Valve Timing to improve torque over RPM range whilst maintaining fuel efficiency

3. Frightened of low CC supercharging - too much stress on the engine...

4. Total lack of 2-stroke smell even when trolling downwind (even the e-Tec has a "whiff" of oil)

5. It swings a large prop (through double reduction in gears) thereby improving economy

6. It's a nice colour :tease:

Interesting that in the mercury tests the etec was last for fuel economy and that the Yamaha 4 stroke and Etec were nearly identical for accelaration..........thanks for the link

Edited by netic

Cheers,

Huey.

Be nice if all the motors ,3 of each, were bought retail, run in for 30 hours and then the test was done only with props etc that we can all buy. Three different hulls as well. Dyno them etc and only let a tech near them with normal gear, no special gearbox oils, no porting, no carbon reeds, no modified exhausts etc etc and at the end confirmation they meet the pollution tests. Then I'd like to see the motors on a real life boat and run daily , cold starts etc till they dropped with some wear and corrosion test every 100 or so hours. A list of parts , labour costs, failures and maintainance that I would have to fork out inc the hours it takes. I don't like the chance of this sort of testing ever happening due to the cost and reputations at stake but it sure would get rid of a few myths and shut the door on the marketing departments sprouting crap for every brand.

Bass boat tests - well when I own a 1000 pound carbon fibre bass boat and want to run 70mph with a quick holeshot on flat water I'll look at them but what I need is a motor that can produce enough torque at low enough revs to be fuel effecient at 25-30 knots in big swell pushing 2 ton on the plane and when it gets rough I want it to still push at 15 knots and be responsive. Holeshot- well the extra litre used or 2 seconds don't matter a lot as long as the motor can get it up without having to redline to produce it's horsepower. Different horses for different courses but apart from propping maybe manufacturers should have different cam options and computer mapping to actually tune it to 1000 pound bass boats or 2 ton sports boats. That goes for hull manufacturers as well to actually publish the coeffecient tables to you can power accordingly for your use. Amazing the difference when a boat has the right motor on the right hull as it produces a everyday useable sweetspot that makes a day on the water so much more enjoyable let alone the lower maintainance and longevity of the complete rig.

Can't wait to see those tests but think I'll be waiting a while as they ae going to cost a bit and no tech or marketing department will let it happen in case they don't come out on top.

Pel

PS good to see a clean discussion rather than spruiking marketing crap and interesting to see that companies still can't produce what consumers need to make a decision and rely on their product. Consumers caught in the usual marketing snowstorm

Yamaha certainly make good motors, but it is very easy to read between the lines in the speed component of the test. If all motors offered similar performance then I have no doubt the etec out performed the other two. If either of the yamahas were ahead in the speed department, they would have jumped at the chance to advertise it, considering yamaha were the ones doing the testing. So in a nut shell you could run the etec at a lower rpm to achieve the same spped and thus use less fuel.

I think this article is a very good advertisement for the etec :1prop:

The closest to independant testing is found on the bass and walleye boat site, where the manufactuers set the boats up prior to testing.

Edited by Mick

All interesting comments. Would have been nice to see the weights of the 4 motors inc in the Yamaha test.

Perhaps also , the difference in purchase price between the 4

Geoff

A lot of tests done by manufacturers of heavier motors years ago used to add ballast to the test boats so they all weighed the same. Hmm Hardly a test but that's marketing for you.

Even walleye boats had had so many issues and had to be vigilant with the manufacturers as they have regularly found non production motors sent / brought in for testing. Manufacturers refuse full teardown and measurement and have been caught out with porting and exhausts that are not standard for their retail products that possibly wouldn't meet the pollution standards.

Shame they don't believe in their products enough to be honest.

I can tell you stories of bathtub racing where the factory teams have used illegal motors so they get the win. The whole point of that level of racing is fun and honesty but one firm wanted it for marketing. The following year at great hassle scrutineering was done and all but a couple of manufacturers motors faiiled. We were talking motors bored out oversize etc etc let alone the fuel they doctored.

After all the testing it would also be good to have a JD powers style survey so purchasers could show how the goods did compared to expectations and how dealers and manufacturers performed on warranty.

If you guys check out the August /September 2007 edition of Propeller it has a 150hp shoot out between

1. Evinrude Etec

2. Mercury Optimax 2 stroke

3. Yamaha HPDI 2 stroke

4. Honda BF 4 stroke

5. Mercury Verado 4 stroke

6. Suzuki 4 stroke

7. Yamaha 4 stroke

The test was done in New Zealand. To make the test as even as possible they tested each engine on the same boat. The test boat was a Fi Glass Warrior (6.4m) fibre glass boat. The boat was then given to each engine distributor so that they could rig their own engines and test before handing over. The set up instructions were to set the boat up as an all rounder. Then each engine was tested in the same water conditions with 3 passengers on board and the same fuel load. The testers noted fuel useage right through the whole rev range.

and the results were...............

The Yamaha HPDI had the fastest top speed. 53.3 MPH Yamaha 4 stroke was 2nd with 53.1MPH and the ETEC was 2nd last with 50.9MPH.

At 3000rpm the Yamaha HPDI was again on top for Nautical miles per litre travelling 1.33 Nm per litre, the ETEC came in 4th travelling 1.26 NM per litre, the Yamaha 4 stroke came in last at this rev range 1.22 NM per litre.

At WOT the Yamaha HPDI again came out on top with 0.91NM per litre, the Yamaha 4 stroke came in 3rd with 0.86 NM per litre and the ETEC 4th with0.84 NM per litre.

Over all there was only a bee's you know what between all 7 engines, although for Fuel economy (Nautical miles per litre) v's Boat Speed, the Yamaha HPDI came out clearly on top when the boat was travelling at speed between 30 MPH to 50 MPH.

The only time the ETEC was near the front for this test category was at a speed of 14-15MPH. It actually came in worst for fuel ecconomy when travelling between 27-33MPH (probably the average speed most of us travel.)

Perhaps ETEC have been the masters of selling the sizzle and not the sausage???

Stay tuned I will scan the pages and post tomorrow.

These test results are all well and good , as long as you realise that each manufacturer will put their own spin on any given set of figures.

Then , the figures themselves. Fractions of a knot , or 200 millilitres difference in fuel consumption , tenths of a second in an acceleration curve. Two star or three star emission ratings. Would you purchase an outboard because it emitted 10% less CO2 than the next cheapest brand? Or goes 3/10ths of a second faster than the other one?

I purchased my engine based on many factors , price being only one of them ( although I did get a deal that could not be beaten). I did a lot of research , comparing different brands , horsepower ratings , warranty periods etc. I paid my money and made my choice. Am I happy with what I got ? Try asking me one time , if you have the time to spare ! :074:

So far , with about 70 hours on the clock , everything the manufacturer claimed has been true , it does what they said it would do . I still havent finished the first 2.8 litre bottle of oil I got with it , I might add , this boat is used every weekend , sometimes on both days. Service costs thus far : $0.00 .

As Huey mentioned , all of this advertising and marketing is making for more informed decision by the most important people , US! Im sure in the past , you bought an outboard because it looked good , was affordable , or someone you knew owned one. Now , we are more interested in torque curves , maintenance intervals and warranty periods ! So , the manufacturers HAVE to produce motors that will fill these requirements. All 4 of the major outboard manufacturers are doing this , and the winner at the end of the day is , you guessed it... US !

I personally know members who have new outboards from every manufacturer. 98% of them are very happy with them , and would not hesitate to purchase another from the same manufacturer. I also know some members who are very dissatisfied with their engines and are looking to " hop ship " :074: at the first opportunity.

So , if you are in the market for a new donk , do your research , make comparisons , ask questions in forums just like this one , and base your decision on the answers you get. Chances are , you will make the right choice.

Here endeth the rant!!

Ross

If you guys check out the August /September 2007 edition of Propeller it has a 150hp shoot out between

1. Evinrude Etec

2. Mercury Optimax 2 stroke

3. Yamaha HPDI 2 stroke

4. Honda BF 4 stroke

5. Mercury Verado 4 stroke

6. Suzuki 4 stroke

7. Yamaha 4 stroke

The test was done in New Zealand. To make the test as even as possible they tested each engine on the same boat. The test boat was a Fi Glass Warrior (6.4m) fibre glass boat. The boat was then given to each engine distributor so that they could rig their own engines and test before handing over. The set up instructions were to set the boat up as an all rounder. Then each engine was tested in the same water conditions with 3 passengers on board and the same fuel load. The testers noted fuel useage right through the whole rev range.

and the results were...............

The Yamaha HPDI had the fastest top speed. 53.3 MPH Yamaha 4 stroke was 2nd with 53.1MPH and the ETEC was 2nd last with 50.9MPH.

At 3000rpm the Yamaha HPDI was again on top for Nautical miles per litre travelling 1.33 Nm per litre, the ETEC came in 4th travelling 1.26 NM per litre, the Yamaha 4 stroke came in last at this rev range 1.22 NM per litre.

At WOT the Yamaha HPDI again came out on top with 0.91NM per litre, the Yamaha 4 stroke came in 3rd with 0.86 NM per litre and the ETEC 4th with0.84 NM per litre.

Over all there was only a bee's you know what between all 7 engines, although for Fuel economy (Nautical miles per litre) v's Boat Speed, the Yamaha HPDI came out clearly on top when the boat was travelling at speed between 30 MPH to 50 MPH.

The only time the ETEC was near the front for this test category was at a speed of 14-15MPH. It actually came in worst for fuel ecconomy when travelling between 27-33MPH (probably the average speed most of us travel.)

Perhaps ETEC have been the masters of selling the sizzle and not the sausage???

Stay tuned I will scan the pages and post tomorrow.

When these testors in NZ did their tests on these motors, did

they make sure that the air temp, air pressure, humidity, wind direction, water current direction

and speed,and location etc be exactly the same for each and every motor tested?

I think thats near to imposible.

I believe that the best motor out there on the market today, is the one thats on the back of my boat.

Wanna know why?

Because its the motor that Im happy with and is serving me well, and im sure that there

are a huge number of Raiders on this site that own one of these outboards to, if u know what I mean :thumbup:

penguin

I believe that the best motor out there on the market today, is the one thats on the back of my boat.

Wanna know why?

Because its the motor that Im happy with and is serving me well, and im sure that there

are a huge number of Raiders on this site that own one of these outboards to, if u know what I mean :thumbup:

penguin

Based on your photo of "your boat", it has a massive inboard. Some "Riviera" from memory. Have you now put on a few outboards? :1prop:

Based on your photo of "your boat", it has a massive inboard. Some "Riviera" from memory. Have you now put on a few outboards? :1prop:

That would look funny or wrong :1yikes:

Netic is right, I couldnt let go of my Quiny when I bought the other boat, and what

I was trying to get across in my reply, was that the best motor out there, is the one

that is serving its owner well, and doing the job it was intended for with no dramas. :biggrin2:

penguin