Flint And Steel Tuesday 13th

HookemDano

Hi Team Raiders,

First time fish report.

Have been waiting to get a weekday off for a while and after receiving a call on Sunday while at a christening to be told by my usual fishing buddy that he just landed a 7 kilo jewie and then a 5 kilo in the space of an hour and lose the biggest of the two at the boat was definitely confidence boosting for my first time skipper, owner, Tuesday outing. (quite a few times passanger though)

Started off badly 2 hours behind schedule thanx to 2 accidents coming from Sydney on the Newcastle freeway, anyway hit the water at 1pm got to Flint and Steel, anchored, cast all 3 baits out, all fresh squid. Within 30 minutes we had landed 2 shovel nose sharks they went straight back in and after realising we had drifted way off the mark we up anchored and went back to spot x. First bait out and baiting up number two when the slightest of tap, tap , tap hits bait number 1 within 5 minutes of cast, being a bream fisherman I lifted the rod slowly out of the rod holder and kept lifting the rod way back over my head until I felt weight keeping tension I reeled in slowly while dropping the tip of the rod and then striked setting the hooks, at first I thought small fish not much wait and no pull in the other direction until half way to the boat and then bang zzzzzzzzzzzz, zzzzzzzz, 3 solid runs rod tip facing the water obviously the fish seen the boat and bolted a couple of minutes and I finally saw colour and mission 1 was accomplished (seeing the fish) now mission 2 (land the fish) and that was simpler then I thought, hand gaff through the bottom lip and lifted into the boat without fuss.

That was my first Jew in my first boat on it's first outing to F & S not a bad start and heading out again on Saturday!! hopefully will report again, stay tuned.

Here is a pic of the fish fully cleaned, cleaned it weighed 8.45 kg so im only guessing it weighed 10 kg....

post-4305-1195088655_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bream_Snapper_Jew

:1welcomeani: Nice report and a great jew on your first go at Flint &Steel. :thumbup: The warm currents have hit us well and truly over the last week or so and I reckon were in for a terrific season this year !!!

There could be nothing better than to get a phone call at a Sunday Christening to talk about jewfish results !! You must be a Greek ay, using the word Christening and happening on a Sunday

Edit :- I just changed it from Geek to Greek - you'd never call a Greek fisherman who lands a 10 kilo jew at Flint and Steel a Geek !! :D

Cheers

jewgaffer (Temporary Geek ! :lol: ) :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

great jewie there mate, ill be out on saturday myself hoping to land a decent jewie too. may see you out there mate whats your boat name?

No name to the boat yet, but it blue and white with a blue bimeny ( don't know if i spelt that right)

Went out Saturday with a first timer, got to the spot, it took 20 minutes to hold bottom, first bait in and my mate was gone, on his back and sick as a dog, feeling bad i took him back to the ramp, by the time I got back to spot X the swell had picked up and once again it was very hard to hold bottom all in all an awful day for me with only 40 minutes of fishing before I called it quits.