Bait Gathering Session

Red

Hi Raiders,

Had some free time so went out gathering bait. It was now midday when i arrived at Yarra Bay hoping to nail 3 or 4 nice ones however somehow managed my bag limit of 20 calamari in an hour or so. The buggers ranged from tiddlers to monsters with 42cm hoods and went crazy for the new Duel Pheromone Skin jig in size 4.0 The usual jigs received little attention and were given their marching orders on the spot :074: .

Needless to say i'm a happy chappy with some fresh stocks in the freezer, bagged up and ready to feed to a jewfish or two. Now just got to keep them away from the good wife who has other ideas :1prop:

Cheers

Red

Dave, i was in a boat, trying to get out of the wind. Was casting quite close to shore.

Only had two colours onboard, yellow/pink and brown/orange. Both jigs did the damage.

One of the big buggers lined me up good and proper and didn't miss his mark getting me in the head with considerable force from close range :mad3: Lucky i had sunnies on :074:

Cheers

Red

Edited by Red

Wildfish, lucky no one was around to witness this. It was a humiliating moment :074:

I've squidded for years and never been nailed with such precision :mad3: .

Anyhow, tipped a bucket of water over my melon and wiped myself with a rag. Thought all of it was gone until i got home and looked in the mirror :074:

My right ear, inside and out was totally black :074: Pissed myself laughing :074::074:

Guess which squid is going to end up in strips first :1prop:

Cheers

Red

hi Red,

well done on the cephs..... those pheremones are a great jig... the southerns just smash em ive found... maybe its the color change or something but using other jigs they were more finicky and painfully fussy at times up pittwater way.....

one thing though..last week we got heaps of arrows at the spit but my pheremone went untouched as they preferred small orange yamashitas over any others.... have you encountered this at all or was this just one of those things........

to keep my :wife: away i put them in freezer amongst other yucky burly bait bits :biggrin2:.. if this doesnt work i remind her how much better she likes jew an kingy for dinner.......

cheers... steve.....

Roosterman, where my squidding is done, i'd be lucky to come across 2 Arrows a year. Perhaps the size of my jigs scare them off however i don't think they live in clear water kelp beds. I don't particularly like Arrows as a bait, especially for jewfish. Others may love them and thats the beauty of fishing.

The southerns are the go in my opinion and i love targetting them, especially the large models. You get about 7 good baits from a real big southern :thumbup: .

Cheers

Red

yeh i prefer the southerns also... gotta love those big green eyes.. makes a great jew bait...... do you know where you get southerns in syd harbour.. ive only fished spit as has produced enough arrows without too much drama but would prefer green eyed beauties....

Mate, the harbour is not my home ground. Haven't squidded there for more than 7 years. Hopefully other members can come to the rescue.

I've caught them in the past at Middle Head, Manly, Quarantine Head and Shack Bay. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Red

Wildfish, lucky no one was around to witness this. It was a humiliating moment :074:

I've squidded for years and never been nailed with such precision :mad3: .

Anyhow, tipped a bucket of water over my melon and wiped myself with a rag. Thought all of it was gone until i got home and looked in the mirror :074:

My right ear, inside and out was totally black :074: Pissed myself laughing :074::074:

Guess which squid is going to end up in strips first :1prop:

Cheers

Red

Now that would have been a top photo Red! :074:

Well done on the squid & thanks for sharing info on the jigs.

Good luck on the Jewies.

Cheers,

Grant.

Nice haul off cephs red!!!! Have you got a picture or a link for these dual pheremone jigs??? what brand are they?

I think the calamari's are definitely a better bait but if you are only using the arrows as strips i dont think you would get to many rejections based on species!!! Could be an interesting one to put to the test thought!

I recently got some new yamashita jigs which have proved very succesful for me. If anyones interestead they are a cloth jig but the whole body glows similar to those lumo hard plastic ones not just the eyes and the tail strip above the barb that most of the jigs have.... Havent found them in any tackle stores near me though. If anyone is keen to get some pm me for the shop.

Also dont waste your money on the squidgy jigs!!!! The light inside idea is good but in practise it turns on and off when ever it pleases and the squid seem to hit were the light is anyway and miss the barbs! I thought i might have had a fauty jig but i bought to more and at nearly $20 a jig i was un impressed when the light had a mind of its own on the new ones as well!!!! :ranting2:

Sorry to hijack the thread red, just wanted to warn people before they do themselves out of some hard earned money as i am still waiting to hear back from squidgy after i lodged a complaint about 2 months ago!

Funny that!

Once again well done on the haul of cephs!!!!! :thumbup:

would anyone be able to enlighten me as to where you get squid around quarantine head? and do you fish the jigs on a paternoster rig or just cast and retrieve?

Hey mate you can get them all around north head using both methods, also try in around the skiff club in manly and out towards the end of that point there! Caught some monsters round there in the last few months!

Also dont waste your money on the squidgy jigs!!!! The light inside idea is good but in practise it turns on and off when ever it pleases and the squid seem to hit were the light is anyway and miss the barbs! I thought i might have had a fauty jig but i bought to more and at nearly $20 a jig i was un impressed when the light had a mind of its own on the new ones as well!!!! :ranting2:

Sorry to hijack the thread red, just wanted to warn people before they do themselves out of some hard earned money as i am still waiting to hear back from squidgy after i lodged a complaint about 2 months ago!

Funny that!

Once again well done on the haul of cephs!!!!! :thumbup:

I have bought a couple of these jigs recently and have had the same problem with the light inside.

However, with or without the light they are still doing the trick on the arrow squid at the Spit out squiding my mates fav jigs. I bought the 2.5 in brown and orange, and I think this combined with the rubber body has done the trick.

I have bought a couple of these jigs recently and have had the same problem with the light inside.

However, with or without the light they are still doing the trick on the arrow squid at the Spit out squiding my mates fav jigs. I bought the 2.5 in brown and orange, and I think this combined with the rubber body has done the trick.

Yeah the will still catch squid, but with the new yamashita i mentioned i out fished one of my other mates 16 squid to1 under the spit when he was using a squidgy jig and the other guy on the boat got 5 using a yozuri's, of course this isnt saying much as there is many variables but more just my experience with the jig. Not saying those jigs are a crock but i was just annoyed that they released a product that obviously was faulty. I already own more squid jigs than id care to tally the money for so the light was the only reason for the purchase so didnt want other raiders to get stung!!!! Good to see the jigs are working for you!!!!

Edited by fishlexic

Hey mate you can get them all around north head using both methods, also try in around the skiff club in manly and out towards the end of that point there! Caught some monsters round there in the last few months!

thanks for that fishlexic! are they in close to the rocks or a bit further out? and does it produce best at night or is it also a good spot during the day? sorry to be picking your brains mate but i just never realised you could get them there

thanks for that fishlexic! are they in close to the rocks or a bit further out? and does it produce best at night or is it also a good spot during the day? sorry to be picking your brains mate but i just never realised you could get them there

Mate im no expert at this but i have caught them from almost as far round as the sewage works all the way in till the no mouring jetty at quarentine but i prefer the more sheltered areas such as in near manly skiff club or around the aquarium. I know west head is also a good spot to try although ive havent given it enough time to get any results.

As with most bait gathering i think the early hours of the morning and dusk are better than midday but you can still get them later they are just usually in deeper water. the depth isnt usually the most crucial part its more the structure and weed that you are after. I dont have any favourite spots in the harbour apart from under the spit the rest is more decided by conditions as to where i will try. The wind seems to put them off more than anything though!

Hope that helps!!! There is plenty of other threads on this subject to as before this year i have never caught any squid so ive been asking alot of questions !!!!! Im sure there will be at least one thread with my name on it asking about squid with many other raiders giving good advice to me!!!!!

Tight inky lines :1fishing1:

P.s Red you have my full permision to completely hijack any threads that i post up for a while, cause ive killed this one for you!!!!!! Sorry

Edited by fishlexic

:074::074: we are all guilty of hijacking from time to time however your effort was very informative :thumbup: I certainly won't be buying those squidgie jigs.....not at that price.

Jewhunter, a photo of this incident would've been nice in the photo album. I still giggle like a schoolgirl when i think about it :074: It all happened too quickly with no chance of ducking out of the way.

Cheers

Red

Jewhunter, a photo of this incident would've been nice in the photo album. I still giggle like a schoolgirl when i think about it :074: It all happened too quickly with no chance of ducking out of the way.

I got smashed 3 times last time we went out, they all shot me while they were still in the water, thankfully it was mostly water not ink as one of them got me straight in the eye!!!!! My mate copped one in the face and had ink in his ear!!! :074:

Edited by fishlexic

• 3 weeks later...

How many of you boys actually have a dedicated squidding rod ? :D

IS the best squidding rod be fast or slow action & fibreglass or graphite ?

I have only used a graphite rod in the past but want to put my older uglystik to use. I used 8lb leader and 8lb fireline before but have read that it may be wise to up it to a 15lb leader or so so that you can save those expensive jigs.

Personaly i use a hand reel under the spit with weighted jigs but if im casting for calamari i prefer a light carbon rod because you want all the feel you can get the same as when your fishing soft plastics.... occasionaly you will get a small squid take the side of a jig but not hook up and if you cant feel that you might never know to cast back into the same spot for a second go or even to just leave the jig there a little longer..... I do have a crappy fibreglass rod which i use as my bait jig rod though as yakkas and the like dont need the same finness as squid. Hope that helps stylo!

Edited by fishlexic

That sure does fishlexic ! So it looks like my crappy fibreglass rod won't be useful for much then except for the g/f to hold and catch yakkas for me !

What bout the leader strength .. I am guessing the squiddies get spooked with the heavier lines too, like fish .. ?