Botany Bay 20 Nov

Handyman

Hi Handyman and :1welcomeani: to the site.

Nice flatty. :thumbup:

What was it caught on bait or lure?

Stephen

:1fishing1:

Ye it was caught on a gulp 4 inch watermelon pearl soft plastic.

And also i would just like to thank everyone for their support and great comments, I was almost going to remove the post because of the few negative comments, after all the positive posts and thinking about what netic said I am going to leave the post, and bugger it I may as well enter it in the catch of the month.

Cheers

Handyman

Edited by Handyman

Ye it was caught on a gulp 4 inch watermelon pearl soft plastic.

And also i would just like to thank everyone for their support and great comments, I was almost going to remove the post because of the few negative comments, after all the positive posts and thinking about what netic said I am going to leave the post, and bugger it I may as well enter it in the catch of the month.

Cheers

Handyman

That's the spirit!

Good luck to you I say

PGB

Nice work Handyman - glad to see that after having "taken alot of these big breeders for the roe" you decided to check to see if it is illegal or not. You are of course allowed one over 70cm.

Just to play devil's advocate, I have been told that 60-70cm female flatties have a much higher fertility rate than the 70cm plus models, even though they do not produce as many eggs as the big ones. Whether this is true or not, in no way do I see this as a reason to change the 1 over 70cm rule, but interesting none the less.

Handyman - as for your other question "are their any other fishraiders with opinions on this matter?" - I'm sure there are...

Wakd I do know the regulations on breeding females and have caught many many many of them,

When i made that comment about it being illegal I was a bit upset and what I said was sarcastic.

Sorry if i confused you with that comment.

Handyman

Edited by Handyman

Hi Handyman

Nice fish mate!!! I don't blame you for a nice feed of roe... it's delicious!!! As a kid I used to have roe and chips from the fish & chip shop in England.

What really narks me is not the fact that we take fish to eat but the mistreatment of some of the fish in the photos that are posted!!! Fish that are to be returned to the water (catch and release) need gentle treatment so as not to damage the slime coating that protects them from disease yet I see photos of fish being held by the mouth... dropped on the bottom of the boat, ground or even on concrete!!! Even if you are to kill your catch for a feed I would much rather see you holding your catch in a way that shows the fish for what it is and show it some respect!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

................and bugger it I may as well enter it in the catch of the month.

Cheers

Handyman

Good onya. :thumbup:

I'll vote for it.

Good fish, good feed. That's why we spend good money on fishing gear and watercraft to feed ourselves some fresh fish. :thumbup:

BTW, This thread is a great example as to why I don't bother putting up fishing reports anymore. :(

Hi Handyman

Nice fish mate!!! I don't blame you for a nice feed of roe... it's delicious!!! As a kid I used to have roe and chips from the fish & chip shop in England.

What really narks me is not the fact that we take fish to eat but the mistreatment of some of the fish in the photos that are posted!!! Fish that are to be returned to the water (catch and release) need gentle treatment so as not to damage the slime coating that protects them from disease yet I see photos of fish being held by the mouth... dropped on the bottom of the boat, ground or even on concrete!!! Even if you are to kill your catch for a feed I would much rather see you holding your catch in a way that shows the fish for what it is and show it some respect!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

To be honest PJ just before I had the photo taken I had given her a little tap on the head with my little donger, which I think even to you is the most humane way of putting this fish down, and also after the photo was taken the fish was put straight on ice, so I beleive I treated the ole girl with alot of respect.

Handyman

To be honest PJ just before I had the photo taken I had given her a little tap on the head with my little donger, which I think even to you is the most humane way of putting this fish down, and also after the photo was taken the fish was put straight on ice, so I beleive I treated the ole girl with alot of respect.

Handyman

Handyman

I was not having a shot at you personally... I was talking generally about many photos on the site!!! I think the time is right to try and change our fishing ways and show more respect for the fish, fishery and general environment too... so one day the fish will be there for my grandchildren and yours!!! We all have a part to play!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Handyman

I was not having a shot at you personally... I was talking generally about many photos on the site!!! I think the time is right to try and change our fishing ways and show more respect for the fish, fishery and general environment too... so one day the fish will be there for my grandchildren and yours!!! We all have a part to play!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I didn't take your comments personally I know you weren't having a go at me, I just wanna let people know I do have respect for fish I have been fishing a long time and I completely agree with your comments.

G'day Handyman,

Welcome to Fishraider. We all have our opinions be that many,but as you will see this is a great site and most of us express our views fairly.Our members ages vary greatly and we are mostly passionate about our fishing.Those of us who prefer to send the big flatties back are thinking more about the future than the big feed. I myself,prefer the smaller fish for eating .On several occasions when I was your age I would catch and eat the Biggies.Not any more as I believe they have a job to do down below. But that is my opinion.

Once again welcome mate and hope to see many more posts from you.

CHEERS BART :1fishing1:

Edited by bart

Sorry all for not seeing this earlier. I just got in from work. :1badmood:

To the members who saw it as fair game to enforce their opinions on this capture here is site rule 15.

" No criticism of legal catches and/or inappropriate imposing of C&R views in fishing reports"

Pretty simple really. Please stick to it.

Nice fish Handyman. :thumbup:

Cheers,

Grant.

Sorry all for not seeing this earlier. I just got in from work. :1badmood:

To the members who saw it as fair game to enforce their opinions on this capture here is site rule 15.

" No criticism of legal catches and/or inappropriate imposing of C&R views in fishing reports"

Pretty simple really. Please stick to it.

Nice fish Handyman. :thumbup:

Cheers,

Grant.

Thanks Jewhunter, appreciate your comment.

Edited by Handyman

PJ- i would love it if you were to write a short post on how to handle big fish with care to insure no damage is done to them

I am one of those idiots you talked about in photos holding by the mouth.

What does this do, and what is the best way to hold em????Thanks heaps, and very sorry for not taking a bit more care

Shan

:1welcomeani: Handyman

Good report and nice Flatty :thumbup:

Glad to see that you have revised your request to have the post deleted

I don't see any mention of length only that it weighed in at 4.2 kg and

like people some fish are better conditioned than others (no remarks about

the baldy fat guy will be accepted) so what was the approx length

Yes, the current politically correct thing to do would be to release any

large Flathead as they are special :thumbup:

You are quiet entitled to keep the fish and the fact that not only the fillets were

used but the roe also shows that you wasted less that those that would have

disposed of the roe with the frame and guts

Everyone is different and the reasons they fish are varied but accepting the difference

is what brings us together ......... after all life's pretty straight whitout a twistie :biggrin2:

Keep the reports coming and hope to see you on the Bay :1fishing1:

Chris

OK..FINAL WARNING TO KEEP ON TOPIC.

This is a fishing report thread...Not the place for discussing

the merits of C&R.

The rules are there for a reason.

The next member who breaks it will face being suspended! :1badmood:

Pete.

:1welcomeani: Handyman

Good report and nice Flatty :thumbup:

Glad to see that you have revised your request to have the post deleted

I don't see any mention of length only that it weighed in at 4.2 kg and

like people some fish are better conditioned than others (no remarks about

the baldy fat guy will be accepted) so what was the approx length

Yes, the current politically correct thing to do would be to release any

large Flathead as they are special :thumbup:

You are quiet entitled to keep the fish and the fact that not only the fillets were

used but the roe also shows that you wasted less that those that would have

disposed of the roe with the frame and guts

Everyone is different and the reasons they fish are varied but accepting the difference

is what brings us together ......... after all life's pretty straight whitout a twistie :biggrin2:

Keep the reports coming and hope to see you on the Bay :1fishing1:

Chris

No I didn't measure it actually, although I have the frame and the head in the freezer because we are having a dinner party on the weekend and I use them to make a pretty tasty fish soup (it makes a great entree), once i take it outta the freezer I could get a measurement for you. Nothing is wasted from the flatty, I even feed the guts to my cat.

And I will not even comment about the post from Nick3 (not funny)

Cheers

Handyman

Edited by Handyman

Russ,

Im pretty sure the reddish/black caviar u get from the shops comes from the Sturgeon fish caught in the Caspian Sea Around Russia/Iran?? Someone correct me if im wrong - but i think theyre meant to be the most prized fish with the most expensive caviar(the smell of that caviar could kill a donkey). I've had roe from various fish before - it tastes more plain, but is meant to be very healthy for you - packed full of protein. Prerparing the food - umm, i think u just cook it in a bit of oil..goes well with a bit of garlic and lemon.

Hope this helps,

aloosh