Kings On Squidgies

yakfishing

I was fishing this morning local in Nth Sydney just flicking some squidgies. Things were a bit slow and I saw a blue swimmer crab in front of me so I decided to see if he'd grab my lure. Started winding in the SP not fast not slow and :1yikes: theres a couple of kingfish following it right up to within a couple of metres from me. They looked like large rats. I've never caught a kingfish, never even seen one so my heart was pounding real hard. Has anyone ever gotten one on a squidgy before?

They certainly take soft plastics.

First time I caught them was in about 40m of water on a paternoster rig. The top hook had a double tail soft plastic on it. It caught the majority of the kingies that day.

I've also caught them on sluggos and sluggo imitations in the Harbour and at West Head/ Barrenjoey.

So I guess the answer to your question is YES.

Alot of kingys that we catch we seem to get them on the soft plastics, most of the time we catch them on the soft plastics when we see them follow up another of there mates but we also catch them when we are downrigging and see the fish on the sounder and drop a soft plastic on there nose....

Jack

Better hang on if you do hook one? They are renowned for smoking angles on light gear... :thumbup:

Oh he would have blitzed me and my light flatty gear for sure! I was glad and disappointed and the same time that he didnt grab. There was a wharf and boats right in front of me I'm sure he would have dashed in there and tied a bloodknot around the pylons with my line.