Land Based Report - No Pics

ianoc69

Took the youngest bloke (Pearce 9 yo) out to IC yesterday morning 5.45am till 8.15am and we threw a heap of casts around the place - mainly Gulp Sandworms and Grubs etc.

Managed a small bream, 6x flathead and a couple of chopper tailor. The young bloke outfished me again (6 to 3) with his largest flathead being approx 48cm - I might be better off being his casting caddy.

With High Tide at approx 8.30am we moved to Hen & Chicken about 8.20am to fish the first hour of run out.

I almost squared the ledger with a 4-1 Flathead count - largest still only mid 40cm mark.

Slow on bream - I couldn't find them.

As a side note we came across a nice Chilean Gentleman who was Bait Fishing with a very large rod + a smaller rod - he was throwing granade size sinkers out into the middle of the bay using pilchards - he told me he had started at 5AM and not had a touch. I landed a flathead within 10 metres of him and he approached me and I showed him a cut down rubber lure (sandworm) to which he bought back a mixed pack of SP's that had gathered some dust in the tackle box.

Armed with firleine on his smaller rod I mentioned a couple of small tips and proceeded to tie him up a rig via a swivel (he was ready to tie the fireline straight to a 1/8 size Jig Head). He handed me a 40cm piece of mono leader that was maybe 8lb or so and a bright yellow basic 1/8th ball jig head.

I tied up hos rig and modified a dark ribbed style worm he had with bright orange tail and spoke about a jerky lift and drop style retrive with 3 second pauses.

It took 5 mins and he had landed a 38cm Flathead and he shook my hand for 2 mins.

The son and I left 30 mins after as we covered ground back to the car. I stopped to wish him all the best and that Chliean accent again said "thank you very much - thank you very much" as he pointed to the gutter where there wer 2x more 40-45cm ish sized flatheads landed.

It felt good to help out a senior carpenter who was a genuiune nice bloke.

Thanks Ian, you dredged up a golden childhood memory for me. As an 8yo jetty rat I showed an elderly Italian gent with very poor english how to brain em at this particular spot. For the next hour he had this priceless grin & kept saying over and over you good piscatore, you good piscatore

That was before microwave ovens and Betamax, lol :biggrin2: