Cuttle Fish As Bait?

stan

Do Cuttle fish make a good live bait for kings?

Been catching a few and throwing them back as I didn't know.

Thanks for any advice.

Damn good as long as they arent to small to hook..... im sure many others will agree! They seem to produce more ink for their size to which can turn the kings onto feeding mode!!!

I recon cuttlefish are an awsum bait, they are like the squids evil brother they have a shit load of ink and they are as tough as nails which is good when you are trawling them because they don't die easily and I recon that a kingy would hit a cuttlefish just as much as a squid if it is in front of them

Jack

cuttles will out fish squid in my opinion, kings will smash em...

i hate the buggers thou, the worse part of it is pinning them with the sliding rig

there bloody UGLY as anything and just WEIRD...

but AWESOME kingy candys...

CAREFULL THEY INK ALOT HEHEHE... aww and they stay alive for ever haha very tough critters!!

cheers steve

Do they bite..... :1wallbash:

Yeah they bite.... :nono: <<<< See that dude.... He only has one finger left :)

It's like getting your finger caught in the base of a pair of pliers :1onono:

They are aggressive little buggars, kickin and fussin, squirting shot after shot of ink every where and any where. They are harder to handle than squid because the tentacles are faster and they are just plain angry. :1prop:

Maybe that's why they will get hit before a Squid?

As for rigging them, same as a squid just make sure the hook goes through the cuttle bone not the flap of flesh at the pointy end.

Robbie.

Edited by Robbielites

We have caught plenty of cuttles upto about 5-7 kgs, their beak is more like a pair of bolt cutters than pliers a real nasty piece of work, the trick is to gaff 'em in the mantle and hang 'em OUTSIDE !!!!!!!! the boat until they have exhausted the gallons of ink they produce.

Not only are they tasty buggers ,but smart as , next time you get one watch him as he comes to the boat,they will look you straight in the eye just before the bastards ink you.

Bruce :beersmile:

Hey Stan,

Yes they bite. I have devised a method for pinning the small ones which makes them easy to pin. I have a small 15cm deep square tupperware container and I put the squid in that then I tip it over so the squid lies in one of the side corners with the his tentacles facing the bottom of the container and the top of his cuttle poking out the top of the container. I then pin the top hook without having to tought touch the cuttle then lift him out to put in the second hook. Saves me having to hold him as unlike squid they can turn there bodies around and bite you while you are holding them by the mantle. As was previously said, nasty buggers!

Kings love em so I can put up with a little bit of nasty.

David

Mate I was using strips of frozen cuttle on the weekend and I was hooking up kings while fishing next to guys who were using fresh squid.

So I guess thats proof they are great bait then :thumbup:

agreed, they were going off with the frozen strips of cuttle.

tom

Edited by pro fisher

Love the cuttles particulary if Im fishing in a area with alot of peckers.

Just last weekend I was on another raiders boat he had a live squid(southern) and I had a small cuttle down... It was the cuttle that got smashed by a 62cm kingys within 10mins of being in the water whereas the squid got ripped apart by peckers! :1badmood:

Dan

D&G

• 2 years later...

Good to know others have been caught by these guys. I had a beautiful one for bait this morning, and it gave my thumb one hell of a bite when I tried to put it on the hook.

Do they have some kind of venom? My thumb still feels all tingly, about 8 hours after the nip.

Just to make things worse, I lost the cuttle when it bit me, so had to resort to mullet strips. One really got smashed - but on a rod with only 8lb line. After a really long fight (I was thinking jewfish) up came a 1 meter+ port jackson.

I think the cuttle had the last laugh.

Well i have seen a cuttle bite one of my mates and ink at the same time... It has left him with a blue natural tatooo.... It was soo funny couldnt stop laughing...

But in relation to kings... Ive never managed to get a hit on cuttles in the Pittwater only calis... But hey maybe i havent given them as much of a chance...

I also heard from someone the otherday that you should take the cuttle out of them before baiting them up....Is this a gd thing to do or not...

Cheers SquidKing Combo