Tassie Devils In The Salt?

Davemmm

Iv got a coupla tassies.....havnt been used in over 3 years as im a saltwater fisho....would also be keen to see how they go.

I personally think they would take flathead, tailor MAYBE bream and whiting and flounder.

Only one way to find out.....GO WET A LINE and let us know how you go.

cheers james

Hi guys, wigstons actually make tassie devils for use in saltwater, from 15g up to around 65g. The dedicated saltwater models have metal wings not hard plastic. There is no reason why the smaller trout style tassies wouldnt work, give it a try you might be pleasantly surprised. cheers troutboy :1fishing1:

I did throw some around many many years ago down on the South Coast. Usual suspects would hit them (Tailor, Salmon, Bonito etc). Any of the pelagic species will have a go at them and Flathead of course will eat anything that swims past them.

Give them a shot, you never know until you give 'em a go :thumbup:

Cheers

Windy

• 13 years later...

Tassie devil actually make salt water versions of the fresh water lures-

https://wigstonslures.com.au/product-category/lures/salty-devils/

I guess you have to look at what "action" salt water species are attracted to or if your chasing surface fish then you can pretty much catch then on anything in the tackle box that has a bit of glitter.

1 hour ago, motiondave said:

Old topic I know......I got some tassie devil lures from a good friend, and yet to toss them in salt water, so will be interesting t see what takes them

Try them in the Lanecove river on shallow ground about a meter or less at about 1.6 km/h need to get a slow pulsating action in the rod tip, should work for flatties 

12 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Tassie devil actually make salt water versions of the fresh water lures

Have used them & caught pelagics mainly tailor but have Als caught flatties 

Are they still available, from memory silver with either blue or red body & made of metal, have also caught flatties on them

12 hours ago, motiondave said:

Yep, thanks for the tip, I will work out how fast to retrieve once I get them out there.

I found a few shops online that sell them, but I will see what I have, how they go.

I'm thinking , next time I go beach fishing, to cast them out into the surf. 

The ones you got from Frank would be good in the estuaries, the salt water version should go alright in the surf, I did catch a rat once (salt version) casting at a bust up in the lower harbour, but mainly tailor wouldn’t be surprised that other pelagics would like them

I have caught quiet a few Flathead and Flounder using the larger version Devil, never used the smaller 13 gram devils in Salt water but will be giving them a try next time I get the boat in the water.

I might have a go at making some stainless steel versions and try them, can't see why they wouldn't work.

Frank

On 11/26/2021 at 5:12 PM, motiondave said:

Old topic I know......I got some tassie devil lures from a good friend, and yet to toss them in salt water, so will be interesting t see what takes them. 

Hey, I just bought some too (but for fresh water fishing), I noticed after buying them that the lure is detached from the hooks they come with so I'm actually thinking of trying them on with a different hook to what they come with.

You can use price match to price match the hooks and maybe even the lures (looks like you were at the place I bought from which I cant seem to name here)

Edited by Denisfisho

• 2 weeks later...