Narra Lakes Nice Flattys

yakfishing

Some nice flattys in there at the moment. Went for a sesh in the yak on sat. Drifted with some HB prawns on the handline and flicked a squidgy around during the runup between pipeclay pt and deep ck. I missed a couple of decent ones on the handline - first spat the hook 2nd busted me off (resolved to get stronger line next time) so switched the squidgy for a prawn on the rod and landed a nice 48cm specimen. Got another on SP at the top of the tide around some weedbeds, and a couple of skeric over legal breamies on the prawns(was hoping for some bigger ones but thats narra for you).post-4457-1197887262_thumb.jpg

Edited by yakfishing

Nice feed of beer battered flattie fillets there YF.

I went for a wade at pipeclay point on friday after some flatties and hardly got a touch in the 2

hours I was there.

It looked very fishy but no one home then.

I didn't take my usual waders and was wading in shorts and a pair of crocs

and almost stepped on the biggest, ugliest, meanest looking stingray I have

ever seen in the lake. It was buried in the mud and just his eyes showing...one more step

and he would have got me a beauty.

I left soon after...not worth getting jabbed for a flattie.

Next time..it's waders (with very thick lugged soles).

Cheers,

Pete.

I didn't take my usual waders and was wading in shorts and a pair of crocs

and almost stepped on the biggest, ugliest, meanest looking stingray I have

ever seen in the lake. It was buried in the mud and just his eyes showing...one more step

and he would have got me a beauty.

I left soon after...not worth getting jabbed for a flattie.

Next time..it's waders (with very thick lugged soles).

Cheers,

Pete.

Yep I almost did that before I had the yak. I didnt see it but my mate yelled "holy shit look out!". I almost stepped right on it - barefoot too! I wore some old shoes in the lake after that.

Pete maybe they saw your legs :074::074:

nice catch Yakfishing Pete's sure right about battered Flatty

fillets and BBQ whole Bream :thumbup:

Good point you've brought up about the Stingrays especially

now when flats fishing numbers increases with the water temp

better to invest in a pair of waders than be hit with a spike or

the dreaded pelican ich

Chris

nice feed there yakfishing

theres been some nice fish coming from the lake recently,looks like its gonna be a great place for all during xmass time holidays :biggrin2: .....

as for those rays :1badmood: it gives me the heeby geebers whenever i walk in the water as i nearly trod on a huge one pumping nippers at mainbar as a kid so got taught to slide/drag feet so as not to step on em.but use my rock fishing boots with hard sole and spikes thesedays :biggrin2: ...

anyway well done.... steve....

Edited by roosterman

Better to be careful and safe then be almost caught out even. Sounds like an extremely close call pete, same with a couple of you fellas.

Excellent few fish you managed and nice work on changing your technique and style I think there mate, hopefully you can keep producing the goods after that one :D Nice day to be out on the water too. :1fishing1:

play it safe alllways wear shoes when wading the lake rays glass and oyster shells are there also :ranting2:

now is the best time for flattys around pipeclay and west of it should be some school jew in there as well as bream especially using live mullet ,tailor,herring or slabs of same

big hard body lures seem to catch bigger flathead

peter :1fishing1:

watch out for biiiiiiig pike eels as well biggest ive had on was as long as my dinghy[8ft] scared the life out of me

Edited by luderick59

Well done on some great fish! The waterways should be getting very busy from this weekend ..... if I go out, it will have to be early from now on, I think! :(

Roberta

Yeah there were a lot of windsurfers right in the middle of my favorite drift and theres sure to more comming, but its a big enough lake with plenty of other spots, I'll find the fish. I'd like to start getting out there earlier too. I'm going to get a trailer for the yak so I can just pick up and go at whatever time (also to save my crook back) cuz at the moment the yak is on the garage roof at my mums and its a noisy 2 person ordeal to get the thing off.