Sydney Harbour

joshg_888

First time report on the site

We had a really bad day on the hawkesbury a few days earlier and contemplated never fishing again...

But we did...Me, my brother and my cousin took the boat out n were on the water at about 6am..we flew out to the wedding cakes just abit before high tide to see how we could go for some kingies

Was abit slow so we moved to a faithful spot that almost always produces..started catching a fair few trevally and ended up with about 15 of em and some good bream too..

We had some livies out on the bigger rods waiting for some kingies to munch into em..wasnt having much luck though

Then my brothers rod starts movin around abit looked like his livie was scared outta its life..

"I think my livie is scared of something" he says as he lifts his rod up to have a feel...then all of a sudden it doubled over and he was on..

After a few screams of happiness and runnin around the boat to get the net he was getting abit closer to the boat.."Oh S*** i think its a big ray"

But it wasnt...it got abit closer and we realised it was a big fat flattie

We were alot happier knowing it wasnt a ray haha and after a good few minutes and a bit of trouble she gave us near the boat we got it in the net and in the boat

Took some pics after abit of screaming and laughing

post-3422-1198551059_thumb.jpg

Went 80cms and just under 4kgs

This was the catch for the whole day..

post-3422-1198551122_thumb.jpg

Was a nice day out on the water..

We will be trying again 2moro on the harbour

So stay tuned.....haha

Hi and welcome to the site. Great report and some very nice fish there, those cowan young are huge. Thats a ripper flathead, be interested to see what you think of it on the plate, I find the big ones very dry so choose to release them these days. 40-50cm seems to be the sweet spot for flathead on the plate, anything bigger and it goes back.

Let us all know how you go tomorrow.

David

Thanks Dave..yeha we were going to release it because of its size but once it was in the boat and all the blood everywhere it was ready to kick the bucket...so we kept it

We thought it was going to be abit dry on the plate but we must have cooked it beautifully because it tasted awesome!

great catch mate,

the harbours infested with flatheads at the moment which is awesome! The past 2 weeks of fishin the harbour flatheads have been the main catch everywhere, includin myself. Keep up the good work, and good luck being able to anchor somewhere today with the sydney-hobart lol.

aloosh