First Kings For '08'

RodHolder

Hi all,

Back at work on Monday, took Wednesday off for a fish :D

On the water at 5am, spent the first hour casting topwater lures at markers.

Got a few follows, and eventually hooked up only to loose the $17 lure to the chain...I had forgotten to tighten up the drag... :ranting2:

When the sun came up, the fish went down so off to the squid grounds for a few for the dinner plate & hopefully Mr king fish.

Spent 90min for 8 squid, the majority lollipops, great size for kings in my opinion.

Back to the runway, rigged the Zillion/ Starlo stix combo, 20pb braid & trace with 8/0 gama & running sinker, put it through the squid and down she goes.

5 min later im on to a undersize rat, which is quickly released .

Next squid in, Im humbing the spool so i can feed the fish and make sure its well down its gob, i then turned the handle to engage the spool & was nearly pulled overboard from the force of the pull....love these fish!!!!

After a great fight i eventually netted a 76cm specimen.

Next squid gets me a 87cm fat King that managed to turn my 5mtrs fibreglass boat around went it tried to make for the rocks.

This guy had me constantly humbing the locked up drag for the hole fight...was to tired to lift him in the net.

Well and truly happy & sore I called it a day.

Like to wish all, a Happy, Safe & Healthy New Year.

cheers

post-392-1199922997_thumb.jpg

post-392-1199923015_thumb.jpg

Edited by RodHolder

Awesome catch mate just thought id be a annoying little bugger and ask if u could post a photo up of ur rig you used to catch those king fish im having alot of trouble with catching anything really i'm not sure what im doing wrong im going to the right areas i think i went out around lion island and flint n steel and a reef i got gps coods for acouple of kms off lion island and there isnt much i was using squid i bought at the shop in dural and still no luck im thinkin it might have something to do with my rig maybe the weights are to close or the leader i use is too thick or something so any1 with a good rig please post up a photo of it cheers

happy new year to all! :)

Awesome catch mate just thought id be a annoying little bugger and ask if u could post a photo up of ur rig you used to catch those king fish im having alot of trouble with catching anything really i'm not sure what im doing wrong im going to the right areas i think i went out around lion island and flint n steel and a reef i got gps coods for acouple of kms off lion island and there isnt much i was using squid i bought at the shop in dural and still no luck im thinkin it might have something to do with my rig maybe the weights are to close or the leader i use is too thick or something so any1 with a good rig please post up a photo of it cheers

happy new year to all! :)

My kingy rig is a Daiwa Zillion with 20pb braid tied directly to 20pb flurocarbon Nitlon leader.

The rod is a Max cast Starlo Pro stick with the spiral guides...love this rod, caught my 20kg jewie on it last year.

I use a running sinker straight to the hook to make sure the live squid goes down.

Reading you comment, i think made youre bait might be the problem....I catch my own bait, if I dont catch it, I dont use it.

hope this helps

Well Done Steve,

The first runway so often gets overlooked when it comes to decent kings ! glad you showed them who's boss !

Chris

Lets keep that little secret between us, mate

Edited by RodHolder

thanks mate...

its taken awhile but im starting to get back into it....see ya soon

Indeed ,we will hook up for a session soon.

PS Hows the new rig going ? and wack a pic up in members boats.

Cheers Stewy