First Fish

autocad

Hi All,

I don't know if you remember my first report of my failed attempts to catch fish for my son a few months back to get him hooked into fishing.

Well over Christmas, I was able to convince him to go out with me again for an early morning session at IC near home.

It was a cool morning and the tide was about half way in. The no.2 son was still asleep at home with the :wife: and my no.1 son was full of expectation of a monster shark we had seen on Nemo the day before.

As we arrived at our destination, there were people jogging down the path on their morning exercise and we set up our rods and my son's thomas bag full of snacks and drinks my :wife: had prepared for us.

I set up my son's rod which I had bought for him a few week earlier with a sabiki rig with salted pilchards for bait. I was about to cast it out for him but he would have none of it. He wanted to do it himself. So with great fear I let him have the rod. He just walked over to the edge of the water and was content with just letting the sinker sit in the water. So I let him be.

I then got my SP rod rigged up for hopefully a flatty or 2. I threw out a few casts under the boat shed and on the 3rd cast there was a great hit in only a foot of water, but missed the fish. So I cast it over to the same spot again, but this time i was on. It was a short but welcome fight and I lifted the fish to the delight of my son, who had never seen me catch a fish before. This felt like a ton of bricks had been taken off my shoulders. I was able to catch a fish for my son!!!! :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: finally...... My son had a play with the fish for a while and after a few snaps the flatty was released for him to catch next time. It went 48cm not huge but welcome and looked very healthy.

post-3319-1200003739_thumb.jpg

While my son was playing with the flatty I cast his rig into deeper water with fresh bait and a few handfuls of burly. Not even 5 minutes later my son who was holding onto the rod screams out 'dad, dad'...I look over and see his rod bent over and almost about to fall in the water. I quickly rush over and help my son reel in his fish. He did most of the work, I just held onto the rod. The look of concentration was priceless on his face.

As the fish neared I could see it was a good one. We lifted it onto the grass and I was amazed, it was huge!!!. I took out the paper tape measure we borrowed from IKEA and it went 38cm to the fork. My son was jumping up and down and a crowed of joggers had gathered, amazed to see a fish this big pulled out of such dirty water.

After letting the fish sit in the bucket full of water with my son being so proud of himself, I told him that the bream's mum was waiting for him so we had to let him go..without hesitation, my son pickled it up and dropped him in the water.

post-3319-1200003792_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the long post, but I'm just over the moon.....I now have a fishing buddy for life.....

Just a few more months now and son number 2 should be able to start to walk....

Congratulations to you and your son and what a milestone in your fishing lives. :thumbup:

Its great to see father and son out together bonding with each other.

Cheers Stewy

What a beautifully written report autocad :thumbup:

I had a tear in my eye as I read it and the pics of the little man show all the joy :thumbup:

This is what this forum is all about, sharing experiences and helping others. To me that is a fish of the month!!! Tell Thomas well done from us all.

Good on you and I look forward to reading about further fishing adventures that you and your family take.

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

Well done AutoCad!

Not only did you redeem your masculinity in front of your son - you had an audiance to admire your great fishing skills, and even better - your fathering skills!

You're a hero to your son - and isn't that awesome!

Well done!

I have a kid due soon (5 weeks!) - and I'm hoping to be bringing up my son/daughter in the art of fishing :-). I'm wondering what age I can start - I'm thinking of getting a front pouch thing (Baby Bjorn) to take the baby out in the boat - my wife has said it's OK so long as I don't go out to the banks!

Mike

WOW!!! That is fantastic!! :yahoo:

I dunno about most fishos, but I get a real kick out of seeing first time young fellas and girls

fishing and the look on their faces when they get something is just priceless.

I can still remember the very first fish I caught with my Dad..It's something that stays with you

forever and seemed like a monster fish at the time.

So glad you posted that Autocad...It made my day.

Cheers and thanks,

Pete.

thanks for all the great replies.

Just to add, my son's name is Jayden...He loves Thomas so much I call him thomas...

He is just over 2 years old...and should be able to out fish his old man soon. I too can still remember my first fish from 25 years ago....clear as day. hopefully it will be the same for jayden.

I just hope I can get away from work enough while the weather is still warm to take him out some more this year.

scott

Greta thrill for you and your son. What being a dad is all about.

Well done AutoCad!

Not only did you redeem your masculinity in front of your son - you had an audiance to admire your great fishing skills, and even better - your fathering skills!

You're a hero to your son - and isn't that awesome!

Well done!

I have a kid due soon (5 weeks!) - and I'm hoping to be bringing up my son/daughter in the art of fishing :-). I'm wondering what age I can start - I'm thinking of getting a front pouch thing (Baby Bjorn) to take the baby out in the boat - my wife has said it's OK so long as I don't go out to the banks!

Mike

Hi Mike

Just be aware that you must have a seperate correctly fitting life jacket for babies as well when out on your boat. Some companies do them PDF1 in very small sizes and the waterways are very strict in that regard. they seem expensive and you will need a few as they grow up but worth every dollar and can be used for guests as your kid grows. By the time they can move around the boat with friends children I always force the issue and make them wear a jacket at all times as you can never keep an eye on them all the time and there is no lifeguards.

great work autocad.

my 2year old daughter caught her first last year. its in the fly and lure section under the post "pumpkinseeds first fish on plastics" (not sure how to put up the link if someone can do it) whiting on plastics and on a pink shakespere barbie rod down at gladesville. its great when they get their first fish and is un explainable how proud you are when you love fishing yourself hey.........

keep it up.

maybe we should have a junior reports section on here for the kiddies?????

Edited by nargse1