Two Transducers

aussie big bob

I have 2 transducers at the back - quadbeam and widescan. They are connected to the same unit so I don't run them at the same time - have a switch on the dashboard. No issues.

Hi all

Quick question.

I have finally received my humminbird 717 and my cannon link to run both my mag 20 downriggers.

What I wanted to know.

Will running 2 transducer off the boat give me false readings.

Does anyone have 2 transducer running, and do both sounders work ok.

Cheers

Bob

I have 2 transducers at the back - quadbeam and widescan. They are connected to the same unit so I don't run them at the same time - have a switch on the dashboard. No issues.

prob should have mention that they are two diff system one being a navman and other being humminbird

cheers

bob

Edited by aussie big bob

Hi Bob, good question, and I do not know the answer. I would be guessing and say that you should be fine especially if the transducers are on either side of the outboard, but hopefully someone who has fitted two different makes of sounder can answer this.

What I would do mate, to be certain, is take the boat out with the Humminbird in the boat but not fitted, and at rest have the Humminbird transducer in the water at the same time as the Navman is going and see if you get the bottom on both screens.

It will be interesting to see what you find,

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Bob, good question, and I do not know the answer. I would be guessing and say that you should be fine especially if the transducers are on either side of the outboard, but hopefully someone who has fitted two different makes of sounder can answer this.

What I would do mate, to be certain, is take the boat out with the Humminbird in the boat but not fitted, and at rest have the Humminbird transducer in the water at the same time as the Navman is going and see if you get the bottom on both screens.

It will be interesting to see what you find,

Cheers,

Huey.

Thanks Huey will give this ago.

cheers

bob

I run 2 sounders from my boat.

One is at the front on the Minn Kota and the other is at the back.

Current one has a LCX20C on the front and a LCX110C on the back.

My last 4 boats have had 2 and never have had a problem with readings.

Most have had duel Lowrance sounders/GPS and my Nitro had Lowrance on the back and a Humminbird side scan on the front. Both worked fine.

Cheers

Greg

Hi all

Quick question.

I have finally received my humminbird 717 and my cannon link to run both my mag 20 downriggers.

What I wanted to know.

Will running 2 transducer off the boat give me false readings.

Does anyone have 2 transducer running, and do both sounders work ok.

Cheers

Bob

Gday mate,

Im running 2 tranducers at the moment, a lowrance and a furuno. I have found that when their both running at same frequence eg both at 200khz they arnt as accurate but if one is 50 and the other 200 then theres no problem.

Running 2 sounders can sometimes cause interference to each other.

Thanks

LUke

Cheer

• 2 weeks later...

Ok raiders

Here is the result of my attempt of running two transducer and two different sounders.

The reason to ensure that both system where accurate is that i want to run two electric

cannon downriggers.

When the riggers are hooked up to a hummingbird sounder with a Cannon link control unit it allows you to set them to do a number of things in auto.

The main function that interested me was the ability to set the downriggers to track the bottom.

So now after all the input from raider and huey the decision was made to fix the other transducer to the boat and head for Botany Bay for test run.

Ok it’s now the Sunday the 27/01 and the weather is not all that good on the bay.The wind was blowing hard from the north west and the bay was choppy (and I mean choppy) :thumbdown: and the drift was about 5kms to the south west.

So with all this in mind decide to first test that both sounders where reading properly

by switching one off to see if the depth changed, well this was not the case. both sounder read no different when either one was switched on or off. :thumbup:

So now it was time to try the riggers out with both sounders running.

First test was to set rigger to track 20 feet from the bottom whilst we were drifting across the bay at 5km.The rigger tracked perfectly, :thumbup: if the sounder said 50 feet the rigger counter read 30 feet. I could see the bomb on the other sounder at 20 feet from the bottom, and this was over a variable depth range.

So now happy with this it was time to put the only slimey i had caught on and try for my first kingie on a downrigger.

This was going great as started trolling from just west of mollies point which was about 12 mt of water to to the east of mollies point which has a depth of 19 mt and the riggers where tracking fine. :yahoo:

So pleased with all of this was not paying a great deal of attention to what I was doing and managed to get to close to another boats anchor rope and well you can guest what happen from here. That's right 300 feet of cable with 10lb bomb still attached hand drag back into the boat and two hours to sort out the mess. :05::mad3:

So conclusion is that the two sounders work well together but if running self tracking downriggers do not get to cocky as it can cost you a lot of time and effort.

So next test is schedule for a much more focused and less windy day

Cheers

bob

Edited by aussie big bob

Ok raiders

Here is the result of my attempt of running two transducer and two different sounders.

The reason to ensure that both system where accurate is that i want to run two electric

cannon downriggers.

When the riggers are hooked up to a hummingbird sounder with a Cannon link control unit it allows you to set them to do a number of things in auto.

The main function that interested me was the ability to set the downriggers to track the bottom.

So now after all the input from raider and huey the decision was made to fix the other transducer to the boat and head for Botany Bay for test run.

Ok it’s now the Sunday the 27/01 and the weather is not all that good on the bay.The wind was blowing hard from the north west and the bay was choppy (and I mean choppy) :thumbdown: and the drift was about 5kms to the south west.

So with all this in mind decide to first test that both sounders where reading properly

by switching one off to see if the depth changed, well this was not the case. both sounder read no different when either one was switched on or off. :thumbup:

So now it was time to try the riggers out with both sounders running.

First test was to set rigger to track 20 feet from the bottom whilst we were drifting across the bay at 5km.The rigger tracked perfectly, :thumbup: if the sounder said 50 feet the rigger counter read 30 feet. I could see the bomb on the other sounder at 20 feet from the bottom, and this was over a variable depth range.

So now happy with this it was time to put the only slimey i had caught on and try for my first kingie on a downrigger.

This was going great as started trolling from just west of mollies point which was about 12 mt of water to to the east of mollies point which has a depth of 19 mt and the riggers where tracking fine. :yahoo:

So pleased with all of this was not paying a great deal of attention to what I was doing and managed to get to close to another boats anchor rope and well you can guest what happen from here. That's right 300 feet of cable with 10lb bomb still attached hand drag back into the boat and two hours to sort out the mess. :05::mad3:

So conclusion is that the two sounders work well together but if running self tracking downriggers do not get to cocky as it can cost you a lot of time and effort.

So next test is schedule for a much more focused and less windy day

Cheers

bob

Then why are you selling them on another fishing site :thumbdown:

KF

Ok kingyfisher and bluefin

For your information the sale of my two downriggers have no bearing on the original posted question.

The question was do ( two transducer work on the same boat and at the same time ) and in my opinion yes they do and work fine. And as stated in the post the riggers worked fine.

Now for the sale of my riggers if you looked hard enough you would have seen that they are for sale on fishraider as well, and the riggers are only being sold for one reason which is clearly stated if you had read the post 5.4mt boat for sale

I have seen no where in the site rule that stops me from reading and being a member of another site

and I don't think it would ever be the site owners intention.

I have not tried to hide the fact that I am a member of more than one site except for the fact that I do not mention ( other site names ) on fishraider site as this is against the site rule, and I think that is quite fair too.

This reply is in no way intended to start a slanging match but to clear up the misunderstanding of what the post was all about.

cheers

bob

This post was submitted to me by Bob first and I have allowed Bob to clear the air

Cheers Swordfisherman

Then why are you selling them on another fishing site :thumbdown:

KF

I guess I'm a glass half full kind of guy, (explaination = look on the bright side)

Bob, I think it's great that even though you have the items for sale you're taking the time ensure everthing works :thumbup:

Shows the character of person. I hate nothing worse than going to buy something and the seller saying "you just have to add this, bend that and it will be fine"

If its that easy then why didn't they do it before selling?

Anyway getting back on topic, Bob it sounds amazing to see two downriggers fully automated, I have a single manual type and I feel like henry the octopus trying to keep it tracking against the bottom. You could run your system single handed! :1clap:

I guess I'm a glass half full kind of guy, (explaination = look on the bright side)

Bob, I think it's great that even though you have the items for sale you're taking the time ensure everthing works :thumbup:

Shows the character of person. I hate nothing worse than going to buy something and the seller saying "you just have to add this, bend that and it will be fine"

If its that easy then why didn't they do it before selling?

Anyway getting back on topic, Bob it sounds amazing to see two downriggers fully automated, I have a single manual type and I feel like henry the octopus trying to keep it tracking against the bottom. You could run your system single handed! :1clap:

Thank’s Gone_wishin

I could not have put it better. When I go to sell something to someone, I first of all want to know if it’s going to work the way that it should do.

I truly do not want to sell my riggers, :( I love them and I want to keep them after my trials in the bay.

But if it has to be to help me sell my boat and get the upgrade I want then so be it :05:

I will miss them. :( But they will be something that I can replace in time and the one thing that I will replace.

I would also like to say that I have had the manual rigger as one lucky raider can testified as he bought it from me at a good price. But once you have gone electric you will never turn back

But i suppose the best thing of all. I have found the answer to my question. That it is possible to run two different brand sounders at the same time and get the exact readings on both sounders.

Cheers

bob

Edited by aussie big bob