Hawkesbury/pittwater 3/2/08

inhlanzi

G'day

After some recent success in the Harbour in Kings we decided to put the same methods to test in the Hawkesbury and the Pittwater.

The weather was really good, cloudy with a slight drissle and very little wind.

We sounded out a few different spots and at some of them that looked likely we sent down some live yakka and squid. We only had one hit which I saw happen just under the boat when a smallish Kingie came up and very gently and quickley took the livie off the hook!!

By lunch time we gave up on the Kings and went in search of bait for Jewies. We tracked down a school of BIG yakka. They are good fun on light gear. Pillie pieces and squid bits were the go. Soon had an esky full and proceeded to a run in (car park ) spot.

Decided to set some livies and a few cut baits

One of the livies takes a good short sharp run and then nothing. Decided to leave the bait and see if another hit would evnentuate. After a few mins I decided to retrieve the livie ... hang on somethng on the line here! After a tussle and some interesting landing techniques out came a nice crock of 90cm. My mate took this photo on his phone .

post-1963-1202119001_thumb.jpg

After a great day out with good company and decent weather we packed up at about 3 and went home.

Moral of the story - if you are after Kings go to the Harbour.

Cheers

inhlanzi

Edited by inhlanzi

Welcome to the Pittwater inhlanzi- i like your morale to the story, it is unfortuanately very true. someone once told me that it's not called BARRENjoey for nothing!

The few kings that are around seem to be very cautious. They will go on the chew from time to time but it's bloody hard work.

I don't know if it's seasonal or it has something to do with the commercial fishing practices. I've only been fishing for kings in pittwater for the last 2 years, so i don't know what it should be like over several years.

I'm either a crap fisherman looking for an excuse or there's something else going on. Anyone else have an opinion & some longer term experience in the area???

G'day

After some recent success in the Harbour in Kings we decided to put the same methods to test in the Hawkesbury and the Pittwater.

The weather was really good, cloudy with a slight drissle and very little wind.

We sounded out a few different spots and at some of them that looked likely we sent down some live yakka and squid. We only had one hit which I saw happen just under the boat when a smallish Kingie came up and very gently and quickley took the livie off the hook!!

By lunch time we gave up on the Kings and went in search of bait for Jewies. We tracked down a school of BIG yakka. They are good fun on light gear. Pillie pieces and squid bits were the go. Soon had an esky full and proceeded to a run in (car park ) spot.

Decided to set some livies and a few cut baits

One of the livies takes a good short sharp run and then nothing. Decided to leave the bait and see if another hit would evnentuate. After a few mins I decided to retrieve the livie ... hang on somethng on the line here! After a tussle and some interesting landing techniques out came a nice crock of 90cm. My mate took photos on his phone so if I get them I will post.

After a great day out with good company and decent weather we packed up at about 3 and went home.

Moral of the story - if you are after Kings go to the Harbour.

Cheers

inhlanzi

I'm with both you guys!

I just bought a runabout 3 months ago, after doing a lot of years kayaking in Pitty. I though the boat would give me a lot better chance at the Pittwater kings. However, it's been zilch so far after quite a few outings.

From what i've heard if you don't downrig with live squid it's going to be tuff, and so far that seems to be true. I've had the odd follow on slug-os around markers but that's it.

I've heard of "the supermarket" and "Kingfish Alley" but don't know exactly where these are. Plus i've heard it's all about the wrecks and I've tried dsounding for these but haven't found any yet. I think these spots are mainly around Clareville.

Can anyone tell me where these spots are???!!! It will save me a LOT of time.

Also, I use to catch a lot of bonito, salmon, tailor and frigates out of the yak and they seem to have dissapeared this summer. Maybe all the commercial fisherman who had to leave Sydney Harbour have netted out Pitty.

I don't profess to be much of a Kingey fisho so when you get over 25 fish in a morning session it tells you there is a BIG difference in the systems.

Every week you will read a report of someone being smoked in the Harbour by Hoodlums - what does that say? There is lots of food for them in the Harbour.

My Kingey ratio ( Harbour vs Pittwater ) is 20 to 1 this season. 20 being Harbour and 1 being Pittwater . Bear in mind I fish the Hawkesbury Pittwater much more than the Harbour.

You very rarely see birds working in the Hawkesbury basin any more. That tells you the bait fish are not there and or the birds get a better feed from the trawlers or people tossing unused bait at the boat ramps.

There are far less baitballs around than in the last 4-5 years.

I have only caught a few salmon this season ( under 10 ) and not one frigate or bonito.

I think this season is however very different to the normal season. I figure everything is about 2 months late. There have also been a lot of southerlies.

All my Jewfishing buddies are down on catch numbers in the Hawkesbury this season.

It may be just me but I think the fish are smarter as well ... see one of my reports about catching yakka. I have had a lot of baits taken just behind the hook ( especially small bronzies or hammers ).

This year I have been catching many tiny tailor like 5 cm in the Cowan - that would mean they are breeding in the system - Possibly the Tailor are so dominant that they kill most of the other fish.

The Hawkesbury has far less traffic than the Harbour but there are far less fish. WHY?

It would be really interesting to have a "comp" say where one weekend one group fishes the Hawkesbury and the other fishes the Harbour. Then the following weekend they swop over and see which place produces more fish. ( Target say - Kingfish, Jewfish, Bream, Tailor, Flathead, Squid, Salmon, Snapper, Whiting, Eels, Sharks ) there would be experts in a particular species who could go hard for their species and see which place comes out on top.

I think I know which place would win but by how much would be interesting.

cheers

inhlanzi

I agree with all of that inhlanzi.

I alo think the fact that Pitty is such a clear and reasonably shallow system causes the fish to be a lot more shy than the harbour fish.

It would be interesting to compare fish diaries of sydney harbour before the commercial guys left and Pitty at the same time - say 3-4 years ago. I reckon the catch rates would be a lot more similar back then, than they are today.

I agree though about the bait fish situation - that shouldn't be affected as much by the commercial guys should it? I use to see a lot more bait fish, especially in the bays on the eastern side than i do these days.

Any tips on the the wrecks or kingy spots i talked about. Or is this hush hush - if so that's fair enough i reckon.

Cheers

Plastic

I read somewhere that the large amount of fresh water that comes out of the hawkesburys upper reaches everyday tends to put the pelagics off abit and they might not be as prolific as in places places like the harbour where the fresh water catchments are smaller and the water clearer. But the jewies have always liked environments like the hawkesbury and have had it over the harbour in numbers.

Saying that pittwater still fished well for kingfish but the pros are having a negative effect on it. Since the pros left sydney harbour, last season was hailed as the best run of kingfish that anyone could remember. Coincidence?.This year the size limit was upped to 65cm for kings and people were worried that the majority of fish would have to go back. What they have found this season is the average size of fish caught is way up and that 65cm limit is not an issue plus the numbers are there like the previous season. I was out the habour on the weekend and the kings were literally everywhere. To top it off the harbour is now fishing better than ever for jewfish, probably better than the hawkesbury. It cops alot of pressure from rec fisherman but the system handles cause we dont take more than we need.(most of us anyway). The effect of all those rec fishos is not a nat on a dogs dick as opposed as the pressure commercial fishing puts on a system.

Pittwater suffered before the harbour pros had to move there. I remember reading an article in the manly daily afew years ago about pros complaining it was hardly worth it being a commercial fisherman in pittwater cause it was getting so barren. Gee i wonder why?

Edited by oldsalty

I could'nt agree more with all that has been said.But just like to piont out what Plastic Man said

............. Pitty is such a clear and reasonably shallow system causes the fish to be a lot more shy than the harbour fish.

I strongly agree with this and i was thinking of the same thing when i was fishing for bream at barrenjoey.the whole intrance to pittwater is 2-3m and a little channel on the west side only being a couple of meters.

I was fishing yesterday from 4am to 6am and we caught 2 whiting 35-36cm,8 bream all over size biggest going 34cm and three flathead one 90cm,50cm and one 45cm.

When the sun came up (only for 10mins) the fish shut off.When i pulled up the anchor it was amazing seeing how clear the water was.....3meters and i could see everything i mean it was so clear i could see little shells and everything on the bottom,Bream... they dont like this they well get spoked from noise and all.

Harbour bream have plenty of cover and deeper water everywhere.

Back to Pitty

We moved to an old school spot infront of Palm Beach Ferry wharf and caught 2 over size snapper a kingfish and we seen his buddies hanging around chassing our baits.Crabs were plentyful with each drop resulting in a crab but we lost them on the side of the boat and only managed to get 1.

I also noticed a boat with a big fish/crab trap dropping down in front of Palm Beach ferry wharf and on some occasions i see trawlers in the mornings

But for kingfish go to the harbour as it is firing.

I personally prefer to fish pitty for bream and whitting as i dont like eating harbour fish.

i'm glad i'm not the only one!

not so much this year, but last season we spent a lot of time downrigging around pittwater - i found the dusk session very productive. liive squid on the downrigger produced kings on 9 of 10 outings. most of these fish came out of kingy highway ie. stokes point & southward along foreshore. i think that without a downrigger & live squid your chances are limited. yakkas are not as effective but we find they get the bigger fish.

best way to locate a wreck is to look around clareville moorings for a boat anchored up with 10 rods out & the likelihood is there is some type of structure under them other than sandy flat bottom! (which makes it impossible to troll past). i don't have the coords & would probably be beaten for saying but keep your eye out.

commercial fishing seems to be the common thread. wasn't sydney harbour pretty ordinary a few years back until all commercial licencing ended?

i'm from up the river a bit & i've heard from a reliable source about pro mullet fishos last year netting over 2 tonne of mullet in one night in one creek ! tell me that won't put a dent in the biomass.

maybe bag & size limits on recreational fishos will solve the problem!

its no bloody wonder with all the netting. A great river like that down the drain for a such minute commerce aye?!

Good work on the flathead in all that desert

I agree re comments above.

I have given the Pittwater a serious go over the last few months with only 1 to show for it.

Mind you the one I caught (no joke) was missing one eye!!!

I think the squid situation is part of the problem. I dont ever recal it being so hard to catch a squid. Too hard spending 2-3 hours for 2-3 squid. I recall last year always getting good results when chaising the sqewid.

Thinking of jumping ship and fishing the harbour.

Flute

It's just as I suspected!

There doesn't appear to be too many raiders catching fish in the Hawkesbury/Pittwater area at all this season.

For 25 years I've mainly fished the river, but the last 5 outings have produced one 50cm jew - we weren't even catching any pesky pinkies or small fish of ANY kind!!

We've tried everything - trolling, anchored and berlied up, lures, fresh bait, soft plastics, live bait, right tides, known fish-producing locations....for nothing. I gotta say it is really disheartneing.

I know there are some experienced fishos on this forum that know exactly when and where to fish the river, and good luck to them, they put the hours in and they deserve it.

Their results on this forum speak for themselves, but while they were catching big fish, my mate and I were also catching flatties, bream, flounder etc. Not huge, but we were getting a feed, having fun and we were releasing what we didn't need.

This season has been NOTHING!

And I agree, it does seem to coincide with the banning of the pros on Sydney harbour.

I know a few people who live on Pittwater, and their claim is the river is netted 24x7 by the pros. Don't know how true that is, and it will probably put a few peoples noses out of joint, but I think this seasons results are telling. (I ain't seen too many prawns around....no prawns, no fish)

I will keep trying though, and with a bit of luck might get a half decent fish before the summer is over!!!

Sorry for the rant!!! Just frustrated.

Rod

ive downrigger pitty a few times for not even a hit of a touch. cant get squid or anything else in there for that matter. the last fish i caught in pitty was over a year ago and i think it was just a stray sambo looking for food in there which is non existant.

you'd better believe they fish the hell out of pittwater & hawkesbury. the trawlers drag the broken bay & hawkesbury bottom constantly during the week & the by catch definately outweighs the catch.

squid has been especially scarce this year & that's definately what the kings are after. lets hope it just the rain or something keeping the squid away/kings away.

really gives me the sh*t* when i finally snag a 64.5cm kingy & bloody fisheries force us to throw it back (even if it's gill hooked).

where's the sense gone?

it's good to hear i'm not the only whinging disheartened fisho out there.

ive downrigger pitty a few times for not even a hit of a touch. cant get squid or anything else in there for that matter. the last fish i caught in pitty was over a year ago and i think it was just a stray sambo looking for food in there which is non existant.

Don't like to be a voice of dissent... in fact I agree with almost everything said. I particularly agree with the commercial fishing and fresh water theories and Sydney Harbour is certainly a much better option this season but the kings are in Pittwater.

I haven't done much fishing up there this season but I've caught kings on both outings up there. A 74cm model on a slimey and BrettP pinned a small one on a squid, and I had another bait smacked without hooking up. We've had no problem catching plenty of squid in the area.

There has certainly been a lot less surface activity this year but it's the same in the Harbour.... can anyone remember the massive schools of Bonnies/Kingies/Tailor that seemed to be everywhere last year from about October till March???

I think that it's just part of the natural cycle where the weather patterns and stuff change everything on us constantly, but some good fish are still in there. Don't get me wrong though, with the way the harbour is fishing, that's where I'll be spending most of my time.

Cheers, Slinky

G'day all,

I have been fishing the Hawkesbury for the last eight years and have seen some dramatic changes in the way the river fishes. This last weekend I took my youngest daughter fishing and opted for an area that is not fished by many. Had good successes. This area of the river is very shallow and is not trawled commercially. I will be trying these areas a bit more as i beleive the fish will move to quiter areas if the presure on the system gets to much.

Interesting point Inhlanzi made about the taylor cleaning up on juvenile fish, maybe the amount of eels and sharks is in the system is also not healthy.

Good or bad, fishing is not called catching for very good reasons. It does not matter how bad it gets, the regeneration of the batteries i get to face another week in the concrete jungle is worth the effort on the water. Like my old man always said, if beer was $100 a slab it will still be a bargain.

I liked the idea of a tourney between the river and the harbour and a swap around to see the results

cheers

Reel-em-in

fishing at wisemans ferry on weekend.....any tips on where

Hi Jarad

I think there may well be a lot of murky water up there by the weekend and a shortage of baitfish because of that. I would be inclined to go all the same.

If you don't do any good in the shallows for flathead near the top of the tide and I don't think you will, try the mouth of the McDonald River on the way back. Jew like a bit of murky water after rains and to jew in the conditions your bait will be as good as a baitfish.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi Jarad

I think there may well be a lot of murky water up there by the weekend and a shortage of baitfish because of that. I would be inclined to go all the same.

If you don't do any good in the shallows for flathead near the top of the tide and I don't think you will, try the mouth of the McDonald River on the way back. Jew like a bit of murky water after rains and to jew in the conditions your bait will be as good as a baitfish.

Cheers

what sort of bait jewgaffer

are there any crabs there

are there any crabs there

HI Jarad welcome to Fishraider :1fishing1: My reporter on the job, the guy who owns the old take away food shop just up into the old highway from Mooney, has been living at Bar Point for over forty years and goes home every night by boat. He told me a couple of days ago that there were heaps of big mud crabs up that way at the moment but sorry I'm sworn to secrecy about there being a lot of big jew caught up there in the last week or so ;):lol:

As to bait I believe large Hawkesbury prawns peeled around the neck and gut area, showing the orange leaving the rear shells intact will give you the results in deep water up there due to the fresh coming down. You could also buy some whole mullet from a retail fish shop, not from a bait shop as they like to add aniseed to their mullet. Use the mullet in the form of full size fillets. Whiting fillets would go well up there in those conditions too, it's a bit more expensive than mullet tho but I think using whiting fillets may well be money well spent for jew and unless the river deteriorates, you may get a reasonable bi catch using a pair of 5/0s however part of the bi catch may well be the famous Hawkesbury eel.

Hope this helps

Cheers

HI Jarad welcome to Fishraider :1fishing1: My reporter on the job, the guy who owns the old take away food shop just up into the old highway from Mooney, has been living at Bar Point for over forty years and goes home every night by boat. He told me a couple of days ago that there were heaps of big mud crabs up that way at the moment but sorry I'm sworn to secrecy about there being a lot of big jew caught up there in the last week or so ;):lol:

As to bait I believe large Hawkesbury prawns peeled around the neck and gut area, showing the orange leaving the rear shells intact will give you the results in deep water up there due to the fresh coming down. You could also buy some whole mullet from a retail fish shop, not from a bait shop as they like to add aniseed to their mullet. Use the mullet in the form of full size fillets. Whiting fillets would go well up there in those conditions too, it's a bit more expensive than mullet tho but I think using whiting fillets may well be money well spent for jew and unless the river deteriorates, you may get a reasonable bi catch using a pair of 5/0s however part of the bi catch may well be the famous Hawkesbury eel.

Hope this helps

Cheers

thanks very much jewgaffer. that helped a lot.i`m a bit spoiled(i do a bit of deep seaing).hope we hook a few.I`ll let you know when we get back.thanks mate