Towing With A Lowered Car

tricks

hey guys

just after some advice on lowering a car that will be used for towing my boat around.

its a commodore and will be dropped down about 6cm lower then standard

does anyone tow with a lowered car or know if i would come into any problems with doing this

cheers patrick

Hi Tricks,

Should not be a problem if the angle of the trailer is not to low at the front otherwise it could be harder to launch your boat and the towbar and trailer can bottom out if going into a steep driveway.

Also like Flightmanager said the weight on the towbar is something you should consider when you are choosing your new springs, i hope you are getting new springs not just doing a chop job on the current ones because if you cut them it will reduce the load they carry and will not preform properly.

If the angle is a problem after dropping it you may be able to change the goose neck of the towbar to counter act it.

Best of luck

Cheers

Ben

To be honest I think your flirting with future problems, these days cars are already pretty low especially the fords and holdens there is no way I would lower my ford bad enough as it is but if you have a light boat thats Half a ton only you might be right or perhaps airshocks if thats possible??

Cheers

Hi The problem I have seen at some ramps is the angle change between the car park and the ramp is often sharp and significant so the skirts / sill panels or exhaust may scrape as they are already low and long in the wheelbase on a Com. It would depend what ramps you use as some are wide enough too take at a angle when not busy ( ie not often these days). We helped a 2wd Celica with a jetski once by lifting back guards as he was caught on exhaust and sills - was tempting to leave him there but we needed the ramp.

Try it and see but unless the trailer is sitting parrallel with the road it may also sway at speed so get a bent tounge to raise the towball height so trailer sits correctly. There used to be some towballs that had a "extra lift" of 40mm but haven't seen them for years but a 4wd / caravan shop might stock them. These still won't stop your tounge and break away chain dragging or gouging at steep or sharp driveway thresholds. If you don't get a bent tounge the back of the trailer will be angled up at the back so you may have to do a deeper launch and drive on drive off may also be an issue as angle of rollers / skids will be wrong. We have experienced this when on holidays with aboot load of crap and people in the back seat - couldn't believe how much harder it was to get on the trailer in the wind with the ass of the car sagging and back of the trailer too high.

Edited by pelican

I towed a heavy 5.4m glass boat with a lowered Commodore for years with no problem. That is after I got pump up air shocks in the rear to compensate for the weight of the trailer on the towbar. They are a good idea with any heavy towing but are probably a must with a lowered car to avoid the tyres rubbing against the car when the suspension bottoms out on bumps. Remember you might have a bootfull of luggage as well.

hi mate i got a commodore that was dropped big time the only prob i had was the bottom of the car scraping out on steepish ramps on a different note you will only average 15000km on a set of tyres and on a long trip with the boat its very bumpy not the best i ended up putting the standard springs back in never will i lower a car again

mick

Hi try using load tranfering rods it will spread out the load more evenly and won't let the back of the car sag too much. I used to use them on my ute which was lowered 5inchs! towing a 1200kg race car had no probs, found to quite good on the freeway. You can get them from caravan dealers also come with a plate that is bolted between the tounge and ball with holes in it where the rods hook in.

I toe a 435 hornet trophy behind my lowered commodore ute and the only problem i have is shallow ramps but i have overcome that issue by making a 2m extension that bolts onto the drawbar using 2 u-bolts, this is normally enough to keep the ute out of the water and still be able to launch.

Dave