In Praise Of Fishing 'gentlemen/women'

slinkymalinky

Just wanted to see whether I'm the only one who loves the fact that fishing seems to bring out the best in people in a way which sadly seems to be disappearing from a lot of the rest of the world.

Just surfing this site shows example after example of people selflessly helping strangers (like Team Upyago, the angels of the waterways for broken down boats!!), people generously giving their time and their expertise to help those of us with less skill and experience, people like the admins and mods working in behalf of hordes of often unknown people who just happen to share an interest, and genuine praise and respect for all and sundry for whatever small or large achievements they make in fishing.

When was the last time much of that sort of behavior was evident in the wider community?

On the water, complete strangers talk to each other, help each other out, share info/gear/bait/secrets, make friends.... when was the last time that happened on public transport?

Yesterday, I had one of Fishraider's true gentleman (thanks Jewgaffer) share his time and knowledge after offering me his phone number just so I could have a chat about stuff that I was interested in.

It may be a bit daggy but I love the fact that fishing seems a bastion of 'old fashioned values'. If the world was only populated by fisherman we could still go out and leave our houses unlocked, we'd still all say please and thankyou, we'd still all respect each other, we'd still all be tolerant and patient, we'd still all spend time with our families, and we'd still live in a community instead of suburbs.

At least one community still welcomes all of us.... if just happens to be on the water and in those places, like Raider, where we can block out the real world for a while and live in a better one.

See you on the water.

Slinky

Hear hear, Slinky. Fishing is probably the last bastion of old fashioned values, where you can meet someone who instantly becomes a "mate" through common interests. Just like the old days when kids played outside with their billy carts and travelled across suburbs on adventures, meeting other new "mates" on the way and more than likely never knowing any of their surnames, just knowing them as Bluey or Smithy, but remembering them forever.

Long live our piscatorial pleasures!!

Russ

Eloquently put and right on the money, Slinky!!

Fishraider in particular is a great site for those qualities you mentioned. Other forum sites I have viewed have distinct 'clique' groups that make you feel like an outsider. The members of this site are quick to celebrate your smallest of victories, and offer advice on 'life's little quandaries'.

Great thread, mate ... watch the replies mount up on this one!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Hodgey

Eloquently put and right on the money, Slinky!!

Fishraider in particular is a great site for those qualities you mentioned. Other forum sites I have viewed have distinct 'clique' groups that make you feel like an outsider. The members of this site are quick to celebrate your smallest of victories, and offer advice on 'life's little quandaries'.

Great thread, mate ... watch the replies mount up on this one!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Hodgey

Couldnt have said it any better myself,since discovering Fishraider a few years ago it has become the only fishing site i now view regulary.

Got to love our sport. :yahoo:

Stephen

:1fishing1:

Thanks to all members on this site for their input.

We wanted to create a place that everyone feels comfortable in, a place to learn and a place to share experiences with likeminded persons.

The fishraider family is very special and it is unlike any other online community :thumbup:

On a recent trip out with Capt Ross Hunter we heard him sing a song he wrote about fishermen - the lyrics of this song said it all

a fisherman till the day you die

Keep on enjoying the site and your fishing :biggrin2:

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

A great point in this thread.

There's something else about fishing that's important to me, and, I think is part of the old fashioned values that this thread is about. At work last week, my immediate boss, head teacher (I'm a teacher) and fellow fisherman, had that browbeaten look you get when your short but busy lunchbreak is interrupted by the 20th kid sent to be disciplined for some atrocity.

I got my spare tide chart and wrote on it:

Never forget that we move in harmony with the natural rythms of the sun, the moon the tide and the winds. For we fish.

I left it on his desk then bolted down to the water for a quick flick.

Nest morning, he looked up and thanked me for reminding him that our passion connects us with something deeper than the humdrum trivialities of our ordianary days.

Nest morning, he looked up and thanked me for reminding him that our passion connects us with something deeper than the humdrum trivialities of our ordianary days.

Koalaboi, That was very well put and decribes one of the reasons why fishermen just like to fish.

Welcome to the site. Hope to read many more posts from you.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Totally agree, we are a different breed, on a recent trip up to queensland (sandy straits fraser) i had no idea whatsoever of what to expect and such a big place is daunting, for anyone who has been there would know the sand bars up there can be pretty difficult to navigate with the tides and there are alot of streams and rivers that run into the sandy straits that could take days/weeks of exploring for fish, anyway cut a long story, the piss poor weather meant quite some time was spent sittin around the cvaravan park tying knots and readin magazines, and of sourse the odd beer, i was thrown by how many blokes there insited they show me the safest and easiest way to get around up there and were more then helpful in giving me directions to areas that produced some good fish, i went up there not knowing anyone or anyhting about the place but definitely came home with some knowledge for next time and a few names of some top fellas i'll definitely catch up with if i go back.

A very timely thread.

I put in this morning early. When I got to the ramp a fella was about to leave as his young bloke was too crook to go out. He gave me a handful of squirt worms that he said he wouldnt be using in the near future and would only be wasted.

Great offer. Unfortunately I only converted them into one bream as the pickers had a field day.

Dave

Great timing to raise this point,

On Saturday the family and I were heading back to the ramp on Parramatta River and saw a shocking sight, there was a new Haines Hunter laying on the boat ramp about 20m from the water.

There were a couple of people landing a hand but they needed more. I pushed in front of the 4 boats that were on a holding patten trying to get to the pontoon (the guy in front of me wasn't happy but if it was him i bet he wouldn't complain!) I jumped out and help put the 5.3m back onto the trailer. The damage was minimal but a lot of gel coat was on the ramp. Even after winching it back on i was shocked by the next comment I heard "you don't need the safety chain on while your reversing down just as long as the winch is locked" ALWAYS, ALWAYS have the safety chain on at all times.

As soon as lent a hand I jumped back into my boat and went to the back of the line on the water.

By the time i was reversing my own trailer down to pick up my boat the owner/friend of the Haines Hunter was standing at the bottom of the ramp trying to hold it steady in 10-15Kn winds so down i went again to help push it to the pontoon. The guy that i pushed in front of on the ramp was on the other lane, he didn't even help the guy waist high in the water.

I went to drive my boat from the pontoon to the trailer and noticed the owner trying to work out how the safety catch went on the ignition so i offered to lend a hand and jumped in.

After a quick chat off they went after there big first day.

Now I'm not trying to hang tickets on myself but I seemed to be the only one that took the time to show these obvious first timers some basics, there were at least 6 other boaties around but they were more interested in their own business.

This raises the question that my wife and I talked about in the car, we would expect that the dealership would/should have taken them out onto the water and showed them the basics. Now they may of said no but it should be an automatic "New Boat Services" and compulsory.

I have noticed that most people lend a hand but it seems more and more just want to go past people in need, there was even one boat on the water that was joking and laughing at the Haines sitting on the ramp, karma will prevail.

Edited by impulse