How Close Is To Close

brickman

hey raiders,how close is to close

1;downrigging,how far should you keep from uther boats,moving and not?

2;is it ok to circle a boat which has a pick down

3;is it ok to work some one elses berly trail

i will be very interested to here what you think

regards brickman

Hi Brickman

Common sense & Fishing ettiquette should be observed at all times!

1) Downrigging: Tidal flow & wind affects the depth that rigs run, so always give other downriggers a real wide berth. You don't know how heavy a bomb they have, or how far back it & their gear is. Assume it is a long way back! Your own rig will cut corners as you turn, so assume theirs does too.

2) Circle boats with pick down ..... Refer to No 1!!! Same thing applies! Some boats may have hundreds of metres of rope & chain out.

3) Sitting in someone else's burley trail ...... That is a bit on the nose - don't be a cheapskate, lay down your own burley trail!! If you are far enough away & can take advantage of their burley, so be it, but don't crowd anyone, anytime!

As I say - there are unwritten rules on how fishos should approach their favourite sport ...... fishing!

If you wouldn't like them doing it to you, don't do it to them!!

(Just my Humble Opinion!)

Cheers

Roberta

Hi Brickman

1) Downrigging: Tidal flow & wind affects the depth that rigs run, so always give other downriggers a real wide berth. You don't know how heavy a bomb they have, or how far back it & their gear is. Assume it is a long way back! Your own rig will cut corners as you turn, so assume theirs does too.

2) Circle boats with pick down ..... Refer to No 1!!! Same thing applies! Some boats may have hundreds of metres of rope & chain out.

3) Sitting in someone else's burley trail ...... That is a bit on the nose - don't be a cheapskate, lay down your own burley trail!! If you are far enough away & can take advantage of their burley, so be it, but don't crowd anyone, anytime!

As I say - there are unwritten rules on how fishos should approach their favourite sport ...... fishing!

If you wouldn't like them doing it to you, don't do it to them!!

(Just my Humble Opinion!)

Cheers

Roberta

Sounds like good advice to me.

hey roberta thanks for the reply,i've been a rockhopper for 30 years,untill resently.off the rocks the go was do'nt come in casting distance off me .since purchacing a boat i follow the same,say75 meters,but it seems to be a free for all out there,i resently posted a report on sydney heads with a good pic off a king on 6lb [sorry still rapped with that one]what i dident mention was while we hooked this fish we had 2 boats down rigging within 20 meters off us doing circles and working up and down our berly trail

thats cool i beleave in carma and what goes around comes around,i just thought it would be interesting to see how many replys the post got and the reaction

thanks again for the reply regards brickman

This is something that can drive me nuts especially Jewfishing

I have noticed the blokes in the Harbour fish right on op of each other...takes a bit of getting used to.

I need ANCHOR Management!!!!!

BUT Red and Roberta...are quite right - If you wouldn't like them doing it to you, don't do it to them!!

cheers

inhlanzi

Good advice Roberta. :thumbup: You've summed it up well. Do unto others ...

Also, in the last 12 months, I've had two boats cut behind my boat when I was trolling. I screamed and waved my arms to no avail. The end result was a lot of cursing and two lost lures. I guess some boaties are just not on the ball.

Regarding burley trails, many years ago, every time I drifted near (about 50m) an anchored boat at Osborne in Bate Bay, I picked up a few nice bream. He must have had a burley trail. The interesting part was that when I cleaned the fish, their stomachs were full of corn. Guess I know what he was using for burley!

Cheers

Peter

PS Roberta, good luck at SWR and take plenty of photos.

Hi Brickman

Re-reading my post, it sounds a bit dictatorial!!! No offense intended!! :biggrin2:

The fishing courtesy & ettiquette covers every form of fishing (and life in general, too, I guess!)

I have witnessed fisty cuffs in NZ when someone jumped into a flystream without taking the 'last' position beside the fishos already there, or someone hogging the one spot without doing the 'three step left' shuffle!

If I turn up to a spot & someone else is already there (even if it is my personal favourite spot) I still do the courtesy of saying "OK if I toss in here?" and them make sure I am at least 15-20ft from them (unless with friends, then it is shoulder to shoulder for the blackies.) Don't like :argue: !!

I have rarely been asked (or told) to go elsewhere! As you say, what comes round, goes round & you can beat sense into someone or make a friendly suggestion & hope they take the hint!

Shame there are some dickheadds out there with no common sense, let alone consideration of others!

Well done with your Kingie on 6lb! Awesome result! Good reason to be proud. You would have a smile on the dial every time you think of it! WIth the twits circling your burley line, you were very lucky to land it! Nah - Not Lucky - I reckon it was your Good fishing skills!! :yahoo::thumbup:

Cheerio

Roberta

Hi Peter

I HOPE SO TOO!!!

Edited by Roberta

hey raiders,how close is to close.....

regards brickman

Hi Brickman this close up stuff in the hot spots hardly ever happened when I was a young bloke :)

Take a geek at these old timers !! :1yikes: There weren't near as many people in the population fifty years ago either !!

post-829-1203040226_thumb.jpg

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

thanks every one for the replys,i used to fish northhead murk and bondi shoulder to shoulder with all maner off people from all walks off life. so the pic brings back fond memorys off trevers all day every throw,pitty they had brown lips and were not for eating just sport,funny how not many replys from my local fishos in sydney harbor well to be honest the hole post was just to make every one who read it think about there own downrigging practices.ps the best we ever pulled was at bondi murk[ 120 tevers between 2people in 4 hours 16 years ago]hot bite smelly brown water.

regards brickman

Hi Brickman this close up stuff in the hot spots hardly ever happened when I was a young bloke :)

Take a geek at these old timers !! :1yikes: There weren't near as many people in the population fifty years ago either !!

post-829-1203040226_thumb.jpg

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

haha thats my local .... still gets the same now lol... actually i think some of those blokes are still there.... at least the rods they used are lol....

blackfisherman are the only bunch of fishos who can stand on eachothers toes and never get annoyed

hi all

This is just my expereince when downrigging

I dont now how many times ive been downrigging an area on the same path for a period of time.

to turn around and have boats start anchoring in the path im downrigging

should i give way (i dont think so)if i turn up to a spot and there are boats anchored up

i steer clear or if there is another boat DR ill watch then see if i can join in the run

while keeping my distance

so to all those that complain about DRs it works both ways

cheers

miller

I believe in etiquite no doubt but some people take it too far.......some people beleive that there burley trail should be left alone for 50 metres...but if that person has anchored on top of a wreck or reef they should expect other boats to want to get in nice and close to them....

Me and Sal had an incident about 2 months ago where a di...ckhead started yelling at us because we were in his burey trail....we were easily 60-70 metres away from him.....honestly, does this guy think he owns the water....

I have also seen guys Trolling lures in an Estuary like the Harbour or Botany and then expect other boats to steer clear, when most of the time you cant even see if they have lines out....and the same guys have there lures set back 50 metres in one of the most busiest harbours in the world......

When i first started fishing i got told that i shouldn't troll in the harbour out of consideration to other boats and i dont do so......

hi all

This is just my expereince when downrigging

I dont now how many times ive been downrigging an area on the same path for a period of time.

to turn around and have boats start anchoring in the path im downrigging

should i give way (i dont think so)if i turn up to a spot and there are boats anchored up

i steer clear or if there is another boat DR ill watch then see if i can join in the run

while keeping my distance

so to all those that complain about DRs it works both ways

cheers

miller

+1

was out there on saturday and sunday.. boath days after 10 mins of downrigging there were boats everywhere anchored up over wrecks and on top of markers.. the water is there to share. Try and share spots as much as possible.