Yellow Tails A Plenty 18-2-08

Penguin

Hi everyone,

The plan today was to get some yellow tails at Balmoral and give the downriggers

a workout since we haven't used them for ages.

We got to Balmoral around 8-9am there were a couple of other boats there as well,

we chucked some bread in the water and the yakkas came on thick and fast. We had

more than enough and as we were about to pull the pin a Kingy comes up right in the

middle of the yakkas, they don't even swim away, he checks out the prawn head that

was drifting down in the current and gently wonders off, I cast a peeled prawn

roughly where I think he would now be, and Bingo zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz im on,

after a short fight a 80cm King is netted, a long and slender fish not very fat. During the

fight he had followers with him. As I'm removing the hook my mate Bills reel screams

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, he manages to bring a 65cm specimen to the boat. in the next hour

and a half we lose 4 more Kings and land another 3, 60-68 . The Kings went quite after this but

we started getting Bream 27-35cm and a trio of Flatties 45-52cm and a lone 35cm Snapper.

We threw nearly all our yakkas back in as we decided not to bother with the DR's now,

on the way back to Rose Bay we thought lets give Clifton a quick try. Well that quick

try lasted for an hour and a bit and resulted in 5 more Kings smallest was 59cm biggest

going 77cm, we returned all these fish as we had enough for a feed, we also got a couple

more Bream here and one that was hooked on the stinger hook, on a sliding snell rig that

did have a live yakka attached to it. The yakka and float went for one of the biggest runs that

I have ever seen or heard, I lost about 50mtrs of line before i could get my hands on the rod,

I pulled up tight and gone, very little weight left behind to reel in, then near the boat, a little whack,

I reel it in and I have a 33cm bream that has taken the little piece of yakka that something had

left behind still attached to my hook. That was it, after that we called it a day.

penguin

Some pics

post-1664-1203336476_thumb.jpg

post-1664-1203335854_thumb.jpg

post-1664-1203336551_thumb.jpg

post-1664-1203336342_thumb.jpg

Edited by penguin

Great stuff Penguin that sounds like a really good all-round session.

What do you think the screamer was? Hoodie or Razorgang? What bits were left behind? Was the reel in gear or freespool?

cheers

inhlanzi

Hi Inhlanzi,

The reel was in free spool, and the bit of yakka that was left behind was a small piece of

tail, and I have no idea what sort of fish it may have been, only that it was super fast

and must have had a nice set of fangs on it.

penguin

Dont you just love it when the plan goes to crap like that.

Well done.

For sure, no complaints from me :biggrin2:

penguin

Hi inhlanzi and penguin,

i can hazard a guess as to what put on that spectacular run. I have caught and seen other gettting bonito at clifton gardens. I was oneof two boats yesterday arvo and the other guy caught a 60cm bonnie on cut pilchard. An angry bonito at speed could definatley strip off 50m in no time and has the teeth to chop up a yakka!

Hi inhlanzi and penguin,

i can hazard a guess as to what put on that spectacular run. I have caught and seen other gettting bonito at clifton gardens. I was oneof two boats yesterday arvo and the other guy caught a 60cm bonnie on cut pilchard. An angry bonito at speed could definatley strip off 50m in no time and has the teeth to chop up a yakka!

Could be, I have caught them there before myself.

What time were u there yesterday?

penguin

Edited by penguin

Could be, I have caught them there before myself.

What time were u there yesterday?

penguin

I was out at around 4:30 till dark. It was interesting i caght a yakka on dusk and sent him down straight away. It got slaughtered immediatley and one bloody big bustoff.

Nice session Penguin. The peeled prawns seem to reliable and working well among the kings. Looks like the live yakka got the attention of a big outsider, it seems like you have the top spots well and truly sorted out.

Another good effort mate.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

I was out at around 4:30 till dark. It was interesting i caght a yakka on dusk and sent him down straight away. It got slaughtered immediatley and one bloody big bustoff.

We left Clifton around 1 ish,

penguin

Nice session Penguin. The peeled prawns seem to reliable and working well among the kings. Looks like the live yakka got the attention of a big outsider, it seems like you have the top spots well and truly sorted out.

Another good effort mate.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Thanks Byron,

I think these spots will be very crowded on Sunday though,

should be a fun day at the Social. :thumbup:

penguin

Edited by penguin

Nice catch shorty.Would have been fun to see you doing the kingy two step with those tiny little legs of yours! :thumbup::thumbup:

Braidbuster u seem to like talking about my legs a lot, whats the go there mate,

you got me a little worried about you :1naughty::074::074: