Unlucky Night At Captain Cooks

Red

Fished for jewfish last night a Captain Cooks Bridge. It was very much a rush job and managed to leave a few things behind such as leader material and appropriate hooks, hook file......doh :mad3: Had to resort to using rusty old blunt 10/0's that haven't been used in quite a while.

Anyhow, the live tailor gets slammed and and mid way through the fight the fish shakes the hooks free....DAMN! That fish felt like somewhere between 8 and 10kg. Not happy!

Oh well, try again. Minutes later, the T-Curve buckles hard and 65lb braid is peeled off at speed. This is a much better fish.....easily 15kg plus was the call. After two solid runs under heavy drag, the jew was tired and metres away from the gaff....the fish shakes the hooks free again :ranting2: I can assure you that losing that one made me feel sick in the stomach!

What do you do? Try again! Two minutes later the T-Curve goes off again. This time it was a pup of around 3kg and pulled no drag at all. This juvenile was not clever enough to shake the rusty hooks free. He was released to do some growing up and hopefully he will avoid baited hooks till he's a teenager....lol

The moral of the story......don't go to battle without the right equipment and don't rush. A dopey 50 cent hook cost us dearly. Won't be making that mistake again.........

Cheers

Red

Sure picked the right night Red and tonight has improved on that with a sudden temperature rise today. Could be a storm tomorrow followed by a southerly blow up which makes it more inviting with the high tide being after dark and arriving an hour later.

See any land based guys fishing with headlights Angelo?

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Mike, hope you are well. I will get over this by tomorrow and i hope it never happens to you or any Raider. We spend big bucks on boats, sounders, rods, reels etc yet we got pumped by a 50 cent hook. You just gotta laugh mate. On the bright side, these fish are still swimming around and will hopefully put a smile on someone's face in the near future.

Byron, i did notice some landbased guys. Were you down there with your deckie?

Cheers

Red

G'day Red,

It hurts worse when you know you could have done better. My normal reaction is to get out again and again and maybe again. Doesn't bring back the one you lost though.

I am sure you will be showing us a big one soon.

Cheers mate

I once thought I pulled the hooks on a fish that took a good run to only wind it in to discover the curly tell tale sign of a knot that decided to slip.

Moral of that story is to tie your own knots. Although it still comes up every time we fish together.

Feels crap don't it Red. Even if you wanted to let it go, you want to see the fish first.