Finally A Decent Kingy!

Steve07

After a frustrating summer chasing a good size kingy, finally last friday my luck changed while trolling a

live bait out the front of botany heads.

Went out with my mate early to get some live yakka's & squid,then by 7am where slow trolling a live yakka

on the surface & a squid down deeper about 20m out off the rocks at cape banks in 15 to 20mts of water.

Got a couple of small undersize rat kings as usual in the first hour,then about 9am my surface trolled live

yellowtail went off in a powerful & screaming run.It took some effort to get the rod out of the holder,which

was a 30lb mono outfit,with a 2 metre 80lb leader & 6/0 mustad hook,the boat was turned out to head away

from the rocks,then i proceeded to put as much stick as i could into this fish which i could feel was a good

one.

Once the fish was forced into deeper water around the 24metre drop off it was a matter of keeping the

pressure on as much as possible & guiding the kingy towards the surface.After a torrid 10min fight the

fish lay boatside,gaffed & pulled aboard.I was stoked,finally a decent one after a summer of getting plenty

of fish anywhere between 58 & 70cm,including one saturday in early feb,where we got 16kings all between

58 & 63cm on squid,live baits & 5inch plastic's,none where big enough to take home for the table,great fun

but very frustrating too.

It was satisfying & a relief to finally get this better one,which weighed 6.50kg cleaned.

cheers

steve

post-4166-1204528368_thumb.jpg

Edited by nexus

Nice fish there Nexus. Pays off holding in very close to the cliffs in a wind change like that ay Steve :thumbup: There's not many places for baitfish to go when an easterly pushes a run in and bigger king sure know how to hunt in a pack and chase them out into the open. A struggling livie is an easy target that's for sure. I like your idea of using mono line and 30lb and having the leader at 80lb.

Cheers mate

jewgaffer :1fishing1: