Beach Worming

lamiglass

G'day there guys, as this is my first post on this site, i will try to keep it short. Every year i end up fishing at the Entrance n.s.w and i was wondering if any of you out there could tell me where i can catch beach worms near Tuggerah Beach etc. I was told that the south end of Tuggerah near the mouth of the lake and also the north end towards pelican point and soldiers beach. Can anyone confirm these places, and what type of bait can be pumped out of the lake itself at the Entrance. Thanks guys and once these Rivers clear up this way at Orange in the central west i shall get out there and post some scores on our local Cod. Thanks fellas and cheers for now.

Hi Codfisho

Thanks for the kind words, Swordie, but methinks there are better wormers than me out there!!! :1prop:

Last year when we had the terrific Social at The Entrance, we found beach worms in front of the SUrf Life Saving Club right there! The last 3hrs of the falling tide is the best time to go, on a gently sloping beach.

I am not that familiar with the whole area (a problem i hope to address in the next year or so .....) but I would be surprised if they are not on most of the beaches there.

Tuggerah Lakes Community College even give classes in how to catch them!

Can you catch them yourself or still learning?

Cheers

Roberta

:1welcomeani::1welcomeani: to Fishraider! Look forward to hearing of your cod captures!

Hi,

At the moment, Tuggerah Beach or North Enny as most of us call it, is still suffering the after effects of the series of east coast lows last year...there's not a lot of beach, and it slopes pretty steeply down to the water's edge.

Generally speaking, the northern half of the beach provides better sand flats for worming, though again, that can depend on the recent swell conditions. Parking is the problem. Access points along the beach are frequently targeted by thieves who smash windows to gain entrance to your vehicle to take ash try coins etc. Just look for smashed piles of window glass lying around when you go park. Many of us up here arrange for someone to drop us off and pick us up...the mobile phone is a bonus. You could try parking at the new resort which has security patrols. The last road access as you go past Twin Shores Caravan Park on Wilfred Barret Drive can see you parking in front of houses and seems a good spot. The access there gives you a good walk up the beach to find a good flat or gutter to fish.

Early morning seems to a safer time too.

Fishing near Picnic Point boat ramp yesterday I saw tell tales piles of glass there too....Probably night thieves, though I had my window smashed at the old tip access at Nth Enny whilst surfing at 1.30 in the day ...four other vehicles were done over that arvo.

Can't help with the nipper pumping spots.

Koalaboi

Hi,

At the moment, Tuggerah Beach or North Enny as most of us call it, is still suffering the after effects of the series of east coast lows last year...there's not a lot of beach, and it slopes pretty steeply down to the water's edge.

Generally speaking, the northern half of the beach provides better sand flats for worming, though again, that can depend on the recent swell conditions. Parking is the problem. Access points along the beach are frequently targeted by thieves who smash windows to gain entrance to your vehicle to take ash try coins etc. Just look for smashed piles of window glass lying around when you go park. Many of us up here arrange for someone to drop us off and pick us up...the mobile phone is a bonus. You could try parking at the new resort which has security patrols. The last road access as you go past Twin Shores Caravan Park on Wilfred Barret Drive can see you parking in front of houses and seems a good spot. The access there gives you a good walk up the beach to find a good flat or gutter to fish.

Early morning seems to a safer time too.

Fishing near Picnic Point boat ramp yesterday I saw tell tales piles of glass there too....Probably night thieves, though I had my window smashed at the old tip access at Nth Enny whilst surfing at 1.30 in the day ...four other vehicles were done over that arvo.

Can't help with the nipper pumping spots.

Koalaboi

Well thanks guys for your input and your knowledge is greatly appreciated. To answer your question Roberta , i was lucky enough to extract 3 beach worms on my second attempt with my old boss who is a good beach wormer up at shark bay Illuka , i am not a great wormer but i am learning and have heaps of patience. Once again thanks on this topic and about safe parking in the area. Cheers from Gav.

Welcome to the site :biggrin2:

Cheers Stewy

Stewy stop smiling like that at the new members, your freightening them :1prop:

Good luck with the worming all, I meself think its a black art known only to those that have sacrificed some small animal to the beach faeries to gain the elusive knowledge.

Luckily we have one of those in Roberta :thumbup:

Hi Gav

Congratulations, now you already have 3, you are well on the way!! 3 are often enough to find out whether there are fish around!! They are a means to an end (altho I really do have as much fun worming as I do fishing! :))

Nothing more annoying than trying to get 'a few worms' & they are not on the chew, 2hrs later, still very few worms, & you've missed the high tide too ...... & no fish either!! :)

Have fun, hope you get some worms & some fish!

Cheerio

Roberta

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Roberta,

wondering if you've got any theories on why, one day the worms are virtually jumping out their holes and easy to get, and the next time they only come up for a fraction of a second and just aren't interested after that. I thought they might cycle with the fish a bit but yesterday, after working for hours to get half dozen worms, the fish were strong on the bite, so that doesn't line up too well.

cheers

Mark

It's the wind Yark - beachworms are very sensitive to wind and when it's blowing hard they'll barely stick their head out. On those days it's extra important to get the bait to them while the water is still running back down the beach since as soon as they're exposed and feel the wind they'll retreat back into the sand.

Could also be the amount of beach traffic - but since I always worm on a very popular Eastern Suburbs beach I can assure you that heavy human traffic doesn't put them off much.

I've been cleaning up on the worms lately - big ones and plently of them on all beaches. You just need to find the 'humps' on the beach - i.e. the more gently sloping sections with a sandbar close to shore (usually where they erect the flags). Got about 20 really big fat ones last weekend but the dog ate them before I could use 'em!!

....beachworms are very sensitive to wind.....

......I've been cleaning up on the worms lately........Got about 20 really big fat ones last weekend but the dog ate them before I could use 'em!!

Well said, yes the answer for catching a good supply of beach worms is dependent on the wind on the day

By the way Simon you're an innovative thinker, I'll bet you've already thought of following the old Fido around and spreading a fully ripened protein enriched worm based burley mix as well as the fully whitened, sun dried version, ay old mate :lol:

Cheers

jewgaffer :D

I'll bet you've already thought of following the old Fido around and spreading a fully ripened protein enriched worm based burley mix as well as the fully whitened, sun dried version, ay old mate :lol:

Cheers

jewgaffer :D

:Funny-Post:

Byron, you're a card mate.

Love your work.

Cheers

Tony

P.s. Better have one of these for good measure- :074:

I'll bet you've already thought of following the old Fido around and spreading a fully ripened protein enriched worm based burley mix as well as the fully whitened, sun dried version, ay old mate

Ha!!

But also gross . . . .