Toothy Critters

james7

There's great information and some fabulous photography there Peter!! :thumbup:

The Maori wrasse looks like it would take a finger off and that leather jacket critter have a go at that thing ! , it would crack walnuts, I reckon. The last fish would be the old Pick-A-Box Syd's hook remover for the other critters I'd say :lol:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

What about these!!!

post-1963-1205102663_thumb.jpg

Inhlanzi, is that a hairtail?

I'd certainly keep my fingers out of there anyway!

Regarding hairtail, another Raider I know said he caught a one in Botany Bay last week. Is that common? Do they sometimes turn up in the Bay? Also, are they any good to eat?

Cheers

Peter

By the way, that's a great photo Inhlanzi.

Edited by peterS

Regarding hairtail, another Raider I know said he caught a one in Botany Bay last week. Is that common? Do they sometimes turn up in the Bay? Also, are they any good to eat?

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter Although they'll never be on my menu, the taste of hairtail seems to be an acquired taste possibly because the flavour compares quite favourably with moist horse manure.

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Some toothy critters from the deep

post-1587-1205110408_thumb.jpg

Yeah, that's mean looking toothy critter from the deep, but what's the fish? :074::074:

Seriously though, what is the fish?

By the look of the sinker(?) and the winch in the background, it's a deep water fish?

Cheers

Peter

Yeah, that's mean looking toothy critter from the deep, but what's the fish? :074::074:

Seriously though, what is the fish?

By the look of the sinker(?) and the winch in the background, it's a deep water fish?

Cheers

Peter

Its a Gemfish that crazedfisherdude pulled out of 550m of water on top of browns mountain

• 3 weeks later...
hey peters what species is that flatty???

Hi philip_the_fisher, I'm not sure of their correct name. It may be a tiger flathead. They have actual teeth compared to sand and dusky flathead and are orange/brown in colour. I've only caught them in deeper water on offshore reefs and gravel in 30m+.

I found this on the net referring to Tiger flathead:

Bright orange/brown spots on the head and body, with red/brown spots on upper half of the tail. They have large teeth on the roof of their mouth and a sharp spine on each side of the head.

Cheers

Peter

Edited by peterS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...