Kiama Wide

lukeric

We fished out of Kiama yesterday, leaving harbour at 6am and gathering some bait, which proved to be quite difficult as they were there but werent on the chew and also barracuta were biting us off.

Started to head SE to some private fads the water temp was 21.5 where we found plenty of just legal dollies but nothing of size with them.Tried another fad where first cast we landed an 80cm dollie but then they went off the bite.So we headed wide hoping to find some warmer water for blue marlin.

We set coarse for 1500 fathom mark with spread of blue marlin lures out.Ended up heading out there then back up to Shellharbour kink , then back up the shelf line to Kiama canyons before passing another fad just inside the shelf where there were hunderds of dollies but not hungry, before trolling to the 30 fathon mark then powering home to Harbour.

Even right out wide at 1500 ftm the water only reached 22deg,(10 days ago we had 26) and there was no sign of any birds or bait all day.

Ended up doing 110mile but got at least we got a feed of Dolphin fish.

Hopefully the warm currents will come back for some better action.

Luke.

Edited by lukeric

We fished out of Kiama yesterday, leaving harbour at 6am and gathering some bait, which proved to be quite difficult as they were there but werent on the chew and also barracuta were biting us off.

Started to head SE to some private fads the water temp was 21.5 where we found plenty of just legal dollies but nothing of size with them.Tried another fad where first cast we landed an 80cm dollie but then they went off the bite.So we headed wide hoping to find some warmer water for blue marlin.

We set coarse for 1500 fathom mark with spread of blue marlin lures out.Ended up heading out there then back up to Shellharbour kink , then back up the shelf line to Kiama canyons before passing another fad just inside the shelf where there were hunderds of dollies but not hungry, before trolling to the 30 fathon mark then powering home to Harbour.

Even right out wide at 1500 ftm the water only reached 22deg,(10 days ago we had 26) and there was no sign of any birds or bait all day.

Ended up doing 110mile but got at least we got a feed of Dolphin fish.

Hopefully the warm currents will come back for some better action.

Luke.

mate,

I'm heading down to shellharbour on sunday and was going to try the fads off kiama / shellharbour it's about 12kms out.If i do no good there i was going to try the one about 16kms off port kembla did you go to either off these ones ,i;m taking a mate who has never got a dollie and would like to give him the best chance of hooking one

thanx Dave

mate,

I'm heading down to shellharbour on sunday and was going to try the fads off kiama / shellharbour it's about 12kms out.If i do no good there i was going to try the one about 16kms off port kembla did you go to either off these ones ,i;m taking a mate who has never got a dollie and would like to give him the best chance of hooking one

thanx Dave

Dave, last time i fished Kiama fad i lost a 20kg+ dollie, that was 3 weeks ago.

The fads that we fished yesterday were private fads and they were loaded with dollies they just didnt want to bite,although its a new moon on the weekend which increases your chance as they dont feed at night. The ones we were at were a bit closer to the shelf line than Kiama fad but the water temp would be the same there.

Personally id try Port at the wave rider on your way through to the fad, then youve got 2 spots to try.

I will probably be heading out sunday whats your call or boat name ? Maby ill hear from you out there see how things are going, mines "watery deep"

Either way it looks like sunday is going to be a good day on the water anyway.

Cheers

Luke

The fads that we fished yesterday were private fads and they were loaded with dollies they just didnt want to bite,although its a new moon on the weekend which increases your chance as they dont feed at night. The ones we were at were a bit closer to the shelf line than Kiama fad but the water temp would be the same there.

Personally id try Port at the wave rider on your way through to the fad, then youve got 2 spots to try.

I will probably be heading out sunday whats your call or boat name ? Maby ill hear from you out there see how things are going, mines "watery deep"

Cheers

Luke

Lukeric,

yeah mate my call sign is Spooled,i'll be in a seafarer viking, i'll give you a call and see if you are on the water.I was going to go out from Shellharbour and pick up a few slimey's to put on the downrigger while i'm out there.Sunday definitly looks like a good day.Hpoefully they will play ball and well get a few, i'm taking a mate who has never caught one.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

mate,

thanx Dave

G'day Spooled Again, i havent yet been to the kiama FAD but fequently visit the Port FAD, was out there on saturday morning, there was a few there landed only one 75cm one. The wave rider has not been producing anything for me latly.

thinking about hitting the Kiama FAD this weekend

Edited by GoogieMan

Same for us at the Pt Kembla Fad on saturday morning

couple of strikes and one landed on live Yacka

If you weren't on them early we guess you missed the bite

but they are defintely there and around the 75-80cm size

Googieman did you see the school of Sauries getting

chased down by the Dollies

Chris

sorry to sound stupid, how far out is the wave rider out of port and anyone got the co-ords?

KTID,

From memory wave rider is about 8ks from port ramp, and fad about 12.

Check this site http://www.mhl.nsw.gov.au/www/wave_data_where.htmlx

Its got all wave height info, coords for all nsw wave riders, some have temp.

cheers

Luke.

Edited by lukeric

• 2 months later...

Cheers

Luke

Lukeric,

what do you mean "The fads that we fished yesterday were private fads". Can you describe / explain...

Rgs,

Choteo

Lukeric,

what do you mean "The fads that we fished yesterday were private fads". Can you describe / explain...

Rgs,

Choteo

Hi Choeto,

They were fads put out by one of the local charter boats, they were balls like fenders attached to the bottom out past the shelf, so they generally held better dollies.

Cheers

Luke