Pics From Narooma Bar

Holmesie

My Dad sent me some pics he'd taken of us coming back in over the Narooma Bar when we were there in January... At the time there were some big sets coming in, but from the photos it doesn't look so bad!! :1prop:

Anyway, I thought it was a good series of pics worth sharing

Cheers!

Holmesie

narooma1Medium.jpg

narooma2Medium.jpg

narooma3Medium.jpg

narooma4Medium.jpg

narooma5Medium.jpg

Hi Brickie

Just looking at the pics, I would say he did a perfect job coming in.

You do normally start from the left and go to the middle of the channel.

If you start to close to the right of the channel the waves pushing in from the south will push you into the wall where the green water is.

In a real low tide the left side can be very shallow and you do need to come in the middle of the channel but you need sit off the bar out the front for a while and watch the waves. Then make your decision and go. If you can have one person watching the waves behind you and you get on the back of a wave and stick with it going in. If its a big wave dont power over the front of it as it could crash down on you from behind.

David

Great pics.

Thanks Mik, it's good to be able to see it from another perspective (rather than IN the boat)... :1yikes:

and yep, David you're right about it being shallow on the left at low tide but like you say with the swell (and current) pushing up towards that North wall (RHS) I was certainly aiming to stay away from that side... It looks shallow Brickie, especially in that 3rd pic, but there's a good depth of water underneath her

Cheers

Holmesie

Thanks Mik, it's good to be able to see it from another perspective (rather than IN the boat)... :1yikes:

and yep, David you're right about it being shallow on the left at low tide but like you say with the swell (and current) pushing up towards that North wall (RHS) I was certainly aiming to stay away from that side... It looks shallow Brickie, especially in that 3rd pic, but there's a good depth of water underneath her

Cheers

Holmesie

Holmsie,

I just figured out why the boat jumped at that point and only had the last half of the boat in the water.

You must have been coming in on a falling tide and I would say that the water was running out of the Wagonga at its usual quick pace and where the estuary and sea swell meet you get a pressure wave and it would be almost right at that spot. Take a look at how high the water is up the rocks.

Thats why the water is so churned and you would have about 2-3 metres of water under you at that spot.

Yeah it was an outgoing tide David, that's definitely what made it so messy - I'd normally try and avoid crossing on the runout, but the conditions weren't too bad and I have plenty of HP, and sometimes with the timing of the tides it's unavaoidable :wacko:

Anyway our aim was to be safely back inside well before the dead low of the tide, which we achieved, and we'd caught some fish too! :thumbup:

Cheers

The first pick looks a bit worrying as he isn't on the back of a wave but uncomfortably close to one behind him!

I ended up coming in on the flat water between sets, that wave behind is the start of another set - it looks closer than it really was (you can see in the 2nd pic it's a fair way back)

Cheers

I ended up coming in on the flat water between sets, that wave behind is the start of another set - it looks closer than it really was (you can see in the 2nd pic it's a fair way back)

Cheers

Yes it looks like you were aware of it and did a good job outpacing the set coming up.

G'day benzeenees, it's a Quintrex 5.3m tinnie, with 150hp Evinrude - my biggest concern of this sort of bar crossing is not having enough HP to get out of trouble (ie. approaching wave from behind, strong run-out tide etc). 150HP might seem like overkill until you have to cross under less than ideal conditions.

I am by no means an expert about this bar, and I always take time walk down the wall to watch it prior to deciding whether to head out. Under good conditions you would be OK (I've seen it dead flat), but it could get uncomfortable for you if you mis-timed your crossing either way, or conditions changed - it's very narrow and can get messy between the walls, and like Lancer has said, the runout from Wagonga can be pretty fierce.

Have you done many bar crossings in your boat? How do you feel with 60HP in a big swell or windy conditions?

Cheers

Holmesie