Sydney Harbour Wed 19/03 Evening

saltrix

Launched at Roseville about 4pm with a mate.

A few drifts across Middle harbour entrance produced a 42cm flathead and a nice flounder, and several U/s sized flathead, so we trolled around Grotto Point for a stud 50cm tailor.

Then over to Balmoral and piked up a few livies which we downrigged around the wave measuring bouy and markers around the bombora but got no takers but there were a lot of fish showing on the sounder wew we anchored and burleyed with a couple of livies out and light lines for Trevs, bream, etc.

A good 50 cm amberjack took a liking to the yellowtail and made me realise my heavy reel needs some work as i couldnt tighten the drag enough to get any line back for a while. Also picked up a niced red rock cod. Always handle these with care. I use pliers to take them off and wear leather gloves when filleting, and then carefully discard the frame or bury it deep in the garden.

Finsihed the evening inside the red blinker at South Head where we picked up a few tailor and big yellowtail before giving it away at about 8pm.

The rule is 50cm.

All the tailor ( and the others as well)were bled and iced immediately and I find this really makes a difference to the eating qualities of the fish.

post-3961-1205993910_thumb.jpg

Edited by saltrix

great catch there,the red rockcod you mentioned is in fact a scorpion fish very nasty spikes as you mentioned[i've been calling them red rockcod for 35 years]last week got nailed by one in the hand,for me about as bad as a wasp sting.after reading up on the scorpion,beware some people have a bad reaction to the sting,if you get pins and needels in limbs hand or lips seek urgent medical treetment,as trouble breething could well be your next responce

where were all the kings today

regards brickman

great catch there,the red rockcod you mentioned is in fact a scorpion fish very nasty spikes as you mentioned[i've been calling them red rockcod for 35 years]last week got nailed by one in the hand,for me about as bad as a wasp sting.after reading up on the scorpion,beware some people have a bad reaction to the sting,if you get pins and needels in limbs hand or lips seek urgent medical treetment,as trouble breething could well be your next responce

where were all the kings today

regards brickman

The common name is in fact Red Rock Cod or Eastern Red Scorpioncod. I think Scorpioncod is better because it warns handlers to be more careful. Its scientific name is Scorpaena cardinalis. There is another similar Red Rock Cod which is the Southern Red Scorpionfish Scorpiona papillosus, but the noticeable difference is the absence of spots on its lower belly.

In any case your warning about the sting should be well noted amongst readers of these pages as I have noticed not all new fisherman know of the hazards of fortescue, catfish, electric rays, stingrays etc.

Simlar to you I handled them with little respect for many years until a mate got spiked by one and passed out with the pain driving home from Brooklyn. I then awarded them due respect.

Regards saltrix

Hi Saltrix, nice feed u guys got there, :thumbup:

I think that fish the one at the top of the pic is actualy a Samson fish.

cheers,

Penguin

You are absolutely correct. I looked them up to make sure I did not make a mistake as I do not often catch them and after deciding it was a sampson fish I mistakenly called it an amberjack. The difference is the sampson fish is less torpedoe shaped and has a blunter forehead.

The amberjack also has a higher fin ray count.

Thganks for correcting me.

regards Saltrix

Nice catch Saltrix, i thought it looked more samson as well being less elongated and a bit more stubby. Good mixed bag, bleeding and icing asap is def vital for a fish like tailor that don't keep well.

Josh

Hi Saltrix,

Is there a special way to fillet those roc cod? I heard they are ok to eat and have caught so many, but they always go back.

After Brickman's warning I am reluctant torecommend anyone handling them, and unless they are over 30cms they do not produce enough meat to take the risk of handling them. Best to return them after carefully dehooking them using pliers.

Regards Saltrix

Hi Saltrix,

Is there a special way to fillet those roc cod? I heard they are ok to eat and have caught so many, but they always go back.

Handle them with a knike or ikijimi thru the head, pinned to a chopping block or similar. Break off ALL the spines with pliers using the other hand and discard carefully. Gut & gill the fish keeping the head intact. To cook, boil it whole with a generous amount of salt (or seawater) refrigerate overnight then serve whole. The flesh can be picked away with only a fork. It has the texture and taste of crab. It's one of the the oceans tastiest fishes despite its un-appetizing appearance.

PS the head(s) makes an awesome seafood stock for bouillabaise or chowder. The taste of these things is divine

Edited by Jigholio

Nice work!! And top feed as well!! What do you find is the best way to catch tailor?

To catch tailor in the Harbour for the next month or so, I anchor up on dusk around the red marker inside South Head, at the sand / rocks out from Old Mans Hat, North of Sow and Pigs, or anywhere else that is a likely spot, but take care to keep out of the shipping lanes and show an all round white anchor light,(make sure you turn off your red/green nav lights when anchored to conform with the rules).

Then berley consistently via the berley basher with fish frames, bread, old bait, prawn heads, or even chook pellets soaked in tuna oil. You know you are doing the right thing when you get yellowtail and slimies around. These can be caught for bait with a light line.

The berley stays around better with the small tides, and a run in is supposed to be the best but I have caught them in most conditions. A southerly is the worst as there is no where to shelter. Under Oldmans Hat is OK in a Northerly but gets a bit choppy as the easterly comes in.

I generally use about 20lb handlines with 80lb nylon ganged hooks, and once they are on the job cut the pillies in half. Use a glowbead and enough lead (pea sized usually) to take the bait down a bit.

The reason I dont use a rod is because they usually come on in close to the boat and bite gently then take off vigorously. The handline is sensitive and the heavier line does not cut or tangle.

Bream, trevally, squid , kings, and jewfish, I have caught this way, even the odd hairtail but they have not been around for a few years now. The trevs and bream like a light line and small hooks and the tailor bite them off, so it is a bit hard to decide how to fish.

Regards Saltrix

You are absolutely correct. I looked them up to make sure I did not make a mistake as I do not often catch them and after deciding it was a sampson fish I mistakenly called it an amberjack. The difference is the sampson fish is less torpedoe shaped and has a blunter forehead.

The amberjack also has a higher fin ray count.

Thganks for correcting me.

regards Saltrix

hahaha i did that on monday

confused an Amberjack with a Samson(i even spell it correctly now)

easy to do

well done on the samson mate

cheers jason