The Best Eating Fish

Josh88

Best Eating Fish  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following do you think is best to eat?

• Fingermark
    • Yellowtail Kingfish
    • Tuna
    • Flathead
    • Snapper
    • Barramundi
    • John Dory
    • Trevally
    • Bream
    • Coral Trout +other reef fish
    • Spanish Mackeral
    • Other

There are quite a few fish which are very good as sashimi. The most common ones are tuna, salmon (not Australian Salmon), kingfish, mackeral, silver trevally and even flathead (according to Tetsuya). Squid i believe can also be eaten in this style. I'd have to say my favourite is probably kingfish with a bit of soy and lemon, closely followed by tuna, with mackeral in 3rd place.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like grunter, coral trout and pearl perch. I can't see how flathead can possibly compare! but i gues it is a matter of taste ay!

Yeh i thought the same about flatties, i mean its a nice tasting fish but its not in the same class as melt in your mouth type reef species.

Might sound a little bit primal, but nothing beats knocking a sashimi slab off a whiting you've just pulled in. Fresh - as in minutes fresh.

Beautiful!

Only problem is your not supposed to knock fillets off when you're on the water.

You are allowed to fillet on the boats if it is for immediate consumption i believe.

No one has mentioned the humble garfish, fileted and deboned it is a real challenger for whiting.

Other fish in approx order

coral trout

mangrove jack

finger mark

long tom yes long tom

saltwater barra

cobia

spanish mackerael

and best of all I'll be catching them all in two weeks time.

strange how im the only one (that ive noticed) who has mentioned the humble flathead and yet it is winning the votes by a fair shot.

CFD

I take it that everybody that is voting for flathead has never tasted fish such as fingermark, coral trout, red emperor and other tropical species, because thats the only reason i can think flatties are so high. They are a good tasting fish but not in the same class as one the above species fresh. Any other thoughts people?

can,t believe now ones mentioned snapper,the prince of the ocean,and i,l through this one in there as well,sweep,oh well said it know,but if you fillet them take the skin off and roll them in flour and cut them into fish cocktails,the kids love em.

I find it hard to go past john dory though my mum used to do beautiful flathead fillets in bread crumbs and awesome baked snapper. Its hard to be too dogmatic about what the best eating fish is because at the end of the day, the taste depends on many variables not the least being freshness, and the skill of the cook.

RobMc

Definitely agree on that, theres a fair difference in something like coral trout thats eaten a couple hours post capture and one bought at the shop.

If you catch it yourself it will always taste better!!! Fresh makes a BIG diference.

Don't have an all time favourite.

White fish, Whiting,Dory(any), Blue eye, goldband snapper

Oily, BFT, YFT, And I actually really like slimey mackeral

As for the rest....

Never tried them REALLY fresh!!

alasdair :1fishing1: