4kilo Flatty On 6 Pound Handline

arkedup

hi guys

went out this morning about 7 am down to box head with a mate we got a few flatties on the drift upto about 45 cm things were pretty slow so I thought we would get some fresh bait from little box head

we anchored there and got a few yakas and slimies then I got a little soapy on the hand line so we got the rods back out and decided to stay there for a while in the next 1/2 hour we got 6 more soapies upto 40 odd cms that were fun but no keepers I had kept my hand line in and getting more yakkas when all of a sudden I felt something on the 6pound hand line that wasnt a yaka it was big I thought that I didnt have much hope of getting it in but I would try my best all I could do was try to guide it when it would let me I knew if I put any strain on my line it would snap and I wouldnt even get to see what it was so slowly I tried to guide it up to me every time I got a few feet in it would take it back this went on for 15 mins or so then I got my first sight of it it was a big flatty

Now knowing that it was a flatty i was even more determin to get it in the boat so every time she pulled i gave her line hoping that she would get tired before the line snapped finaly i got it to the surface and my mate got the net arround her and lifted her in the boat wow it was big 86 cms 4and a bit kilos

I still cant belive I got it in on a 6 pound handline with a tiny hook :yahoo::yahoo::thumbup::thumbup:post-5899-1207117718_thumb.jpg

post-5899-1207117902_thumb.jpg

Awesome fish on really light line!! Well done! Aren't handlines just the best - put them on the floor of the boat or in a bucket of water & just let them weave their magic!

Can't beat a handline!

Cheerio

Roberta

What a good flathead Arked :thumbup: Nice effort nursing it into the net on a light handline Grant ! By the look of it you enjoyed swimming from the boat to bring home the fish!

With those soapies around so consistently, I can't see why good sized jew wouldn't come into the area as well. I wouldn't mind, finishing a session after an hour or two in that deep section you like up from the rip.

Regards

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Top flattie that one :thumbup: and to get her on a 6lb handline...awesome!!!

Must have been a fun tussle to see who'd win that fight. Glad it was you.

Was the hook baited or were you using a sabiki type yakka rig with tiny hooks?

Just shows you what gutses flatties are at times.

Certainly one to tell a few yarns about over the odd beer.

Great work.

Cheers,

Pete.

Was the hook baited ot were you using a sabiki type yakka rig with tiny hooks?

hi Pete

I had one small hook baited up with a tiny piece of yaka no swivel and a pea size sinker with the line looped though it to hold it about a foot away from the hook the fish was gut hooked

Hi stylo

What bait were u using on the lil hooks, while targeting the yakkas ?

I allways use the left over yakka or slimies from the last trip for the yakkas

Was there a yakka inside the flattie ?

Suprisingly no I thought there would of been

hi Bob

what do you mean "great catch for your mate on a six pound handline" all he did was put the net in front of it !! which I am sure I could of done if my third arm was a little longer :074:

Great catch for your mate on a six pound handline. This would have put all of his skills :1fishing1: to the test.

Good to see he got it into the boat :thumbup:

cheers

bob

Well done,thats a very nice flattie. :thumbup:

would have been a great battle on the handline,and im sure there were a few anxious moments when you caught a glimpse of it knowing you only had 6lb line.

Stephen

:1fishing1:

Well done mate :thumbup:

Takes a lot of will power to see a fish of that size and not panic, particularly when there is only 6lb line between you and victory! Great effort

Hodgey

well said Hodgey. Arked's patience and perseverence in playing that flathead for fifteen minutes speaks for itself..... Will power and not panicking plus a lot of experience such as keeping the flathead down underwater, keeping it away from the boat while his mate carefully places the net under its tail to avoid the headshake and bust off.

In those conditions with that type of fishing, no rod and reel is capable of playing and tiring a large fish as well as a handline in good hands on light line that is far too light ....... Knowing precisely when to ease out line, hold for a split second , ease out line and hold again, slip a little more line out according to feel, grab again, and repeating the performance until the fish submits...... Resisting any need to get it over with and thereby risking losing the fish is an excellent effort in itself.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1: