Mullet

King slayer

I've been heading down to Lane Cove river the last few afternoons and senn heaps of big mullet jumping all over the place. I tried to catch some today and managed only one before it went dark and they went off the bite. They seemed to be breaking the surface everywhere, but I'm not sure if they are eating or being eaten. If it's the later I'll be sure and put out a livie next time I get one. I'm talking about the very end of the tidal section next to lady Game Drive in West Chatswood. Lots of angry hungry bream there too by the way!

What do you guys reckon?

Yes, most fish jump when either feeding or being fed upon. If the jumps are quite fast and repeated then its more of a sign they are being chased, most likely by a fair sized jewie or flattie. Soft plastics may be a better option, especially when you can't catch the mullet. A 5' stick bait or shad type lure should do they trick hopefully.

Josh

hey king slayer.i've seen this up at dora creek fairly often.i think they may be feeding on little insects

when they jump like this a fly rod was the only thing that they would take so well done on catching one

gary

hmmm theres lots of em that jump in the nepean river too and the only predator to them in there is eels i think, usually starts to happen in the arvos before sundown, and its only large ones ive noticed, could be for fun, could be to escape or could be to eat im not sure its probably all of the reasons at different times.

I've been heading down to Lane Cove river the last few afternoons and senn heaps of big mullet jumping all over the place. I tried to catch some today and managed only one before it went dark and they went off the bite. They seemed to be breaking the surface everywhere, but I'm not sure if they are eating or being eaten. If it's the later I'll be sure and put out a livie next time I get one. I'm talking about the very end of the tidal section next to lady Game Drive in West Chatswood. Lots of angry hungry bream there too by the way!

What do you guys reckon?

Hi Kingy slayer

What did you catch the mullet on?

Bread?

GregL

I reckon it is because they can!!??

I don't think they are being chased by anything - it is totally different from the normal 'mullet panic' when buzzed by a bird or underwater predator.

COuld be part of their breeding 'show off' cycle?? Who knows??

Cheerio

Roberta

I've heard from reliable sources it has something to do with communication.

Wheter it be for reproduction or just schooling indicators i havent heard but almost 100% sure its not a result of predators.

Ive flicked around these buggers for countless hours for not much. And as roberta said its not the usual panic that mullet exibit. They look pretty carefree to me!!!!

Hi Kingy slayer

What did you catch the mullet on?

Bread?

GregL

Yeah bread. I burleyed up and there were mostly bream. I tried again today and got a few bream but no mullet. One of the bream was about 25cm but that was the biggest. Huge mullet jumping every where again and none on the hook. i saw a guy with a float trying for mullet (I assume) and I saw one jump OVER his float! :074: Those buggers are elusive.

I used to cach them so easily as a kid at Curly lagoon, but can't seem to get onto them.

Here's what Amonline reckons

http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/faq/mullet.htm

Here's another answer from myfwc.com

Why do mullet jump?

No one has been able to ask a mullet why it jumps. In waters with low dissolved oxygen, mullet may jump more frequently, which might indicate a greater need for oxygen. Some biologists feel that jumping aides mullet in removing parasites; others believe it may be part of schooling behavior in mullet. An intriguing notion is that maybe they just like to jump.

Here's another one from earthsky.org

"Mullet are famous jumpers. Fishermen tell stories of mullet leaping back and forth over their fishing lines. And mullet have been seen escaping from nets by jumping over the top.

But why do mullet jump? Scientists who study fish say they don’t know for sure. Mullet eat aquatic plants in shallow water near the bottom. Mullet don’t eat other fish, but many larger fish try to eat them. So they may jump to escape a predator. But sometimes they seem to be jumping just for fun.

Fish aren’t the only ocean dwellers who jump. Depending on where you are, next time you’re at the beach, keep your eye out for porpoises and humpback whales. Even manta rays have been seen leaping from the water!"

I have seen stingrays jump often here in Wallis Lake - clearing the water by at least 1m! I reckon they just like it, like why do sheep jump when there is nothing in front of them to jump??

Just one of those many things we like to ponder on, I guess???

Roberta

The idea of dissolved oxygen in water relating to jumping has been a good theory that's been around a while.

If they were tightly packed together and feeding on the surface then they are most likely spawning (it's that time of year). Spawning mullet jump differently to standard mullet jumps, they shake themselves, most likely to loosen the milt for spawning. Spawning mullet are often very aggressive and will chase down small lures and flies imitating bait . We caught a bunch last Friday and have done every April for several years. Awesome fish on 6lb leader,

JD

Hi King Slayer

Here is my mullet float

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.ph...c=16663&hl=

Works a treat in the leases here - in attacking any of the 3 bits of bread, they create their own burley to keep them interested! :)

If fishing deeper water, just use any old float so you can adjust the depth till you find them feeding. The way I do the bread is a top way of compacting it so it makes them really 'have a go' at getting it off!

Good luck

Roberta

:Funny-Post::Funny-Post: Pete!! :)

Edited by Roberta

• 2 months later...

This is from The Australian Museum Fish Site:-

Over the years there have been numerous theories concerning the leaping of mullet. There seems to be two categories of leaping: predator avoidance and aerial respiration.

Leaping to avoid predators usually involves more than one fish jumping simultaneously, retaining an upright posture and entering the water cleanly.

The second type of leaping involves a single fish that does a slower, shorter leap, often flipping onto its side or even onto its back. They may also roll at the surface or move with their head above the water

The research of Hoese (1985) suggests that Sea Mullet use this second category of movements to fill the pharyngobranchial organ (an area at the back of the throat) with air.

The trapped air is believed to allow the fish to remain active in water of low oxygen concentration for about five minutes.

Several interesting lines of evidence support this theory. The number of jumps is correlated with the concentration of oxygen in the water. The less oxygen, the more jumps.

Secondly, Sea Mullet feed during the day often in bottom sediments that have low oxygen concentrations. Jumping occurs much more commonly during the day. Sea Mullet rarely jump at night.

Further reading

Hoese, H.D. 1985. Jumping mullet - the internal diving bell hypotheses. Environmental Biology of Fishes. 13(4): 309-314.

Edited by Mariner 31

On a hot summers night try putting out one of those mullet out live with a 2 x 10/0 hooks free swimming or a large 7 to 9 inch plastic, around there you may be pleasantly surprised.

But a word of caution I wouldn't recommend taking or eating fish from there.

• 4 years later...

I know this is an old post, but I'm glad I came across it because I had the fanciful notion that they may be feeding on surface insects. If that were the case, then a well presented dry fly would be an interesting proposition on either fly rod or light spin gear. However, and there's always an however, I think any and all of the above make more sense than my theory.

What intrigues me is that if any of you ever spend time at Bewong, which is on Wandandian creek at the back of St. Georges basin, you'll notice like me, that the mullet start jumping about 45 minutes before sunset and continue to do so, at about 30 - 60 second intervals until about an hour before first light. You only have to listen out for them splashing down while lying in bed.

Maybe they're natures way of helping insomniacs get to sleep. Just count mullet!

Cheers,

Nursie