Expensive Squid

Braidbuster

Lost 2 jigs & got 1 squid, 33cm hood. Miscast into snags & lost the pictured jig,a larger squid too my 'tiger prawn' jig for a swim in the Balmoral pool disentangling itself on the shark net on the way into the enclosure :05:

BREAK OUT THE DOWNRIGGER!

Nice squid mate... :thumbup:

Interesting markings on it, a similar size one I caught on the weekend had the exact same little rectangles all over it....

When I cut it open it had a sack full of tiny tubes which I believe were baby squid, inside it. I wondered if the markings on the squid had something to do with it being about to spawn.

Anyone know any more about it?

Bad luck about the jigs, but it happens, good excuse to buy more!

Cheers

Tony

hmmm I'm pretty sure I saw that squiddy the other night when I was down their squidding :1prop:

There were half a dozen swimming around the shark nets!! Except they wouldn't take any jig!! :1badmood:

Good to see you had more success....bad luck about the jig I know the feeling

If you can see the squid and they won't hit the jigs, try a different size, style and/or colour of jig...

If they're still shy and won't latch on, stick a yakka on a squid spike out under a float and 9 times out of 10 they'll find it too good to resist.

Cheers

Tony

That can sometimes work,it is important to "tease" them ,before presenting a jig . I ALWAYS observe how they approach the jig,it indicates to me what I need to do to get a take.eg if you see them 'taste' the jig and back off,it is wise to use a scent/spray to flavour it. :1fishing1:

If you can see the squid and they won't hit the jigs, try a different size, style and/or colour of jig...

If they're still shy and won't latch on, stick a yakka on a squid spike out under a float and 9 times out of 10 they'll find it too good to resist.

Cheers

Tony

Yeah I would say your spot on there! But unfortunately when I was there I only took down the rod with 1 jig on it and no scent....oh well maybe next time :thumbup:

Thanks for your replies

Southern Calamari lay clusters of eggs on rock and reef ledges and spawm in Spring and Autumn

but depending on the areas and weather they seem to be in spawning condition at all difference times.

Females have clusters of yellow eggs when they are ready to spawn, which go everywhere when you go to clean them

- which would make great burleyI'm guessing.

After watching the Movies "Cloverfield" and "The Mist", i think we should all catch and eat as much

squid as we can, because if those Kraken, Architeuthis and Colossal squids ever get a backbone we are

all in a lot of trouble...

Jason