Clontarf Night Session

GK510

Went for a night session at Clontarf on Tuesday night. When I arrived there was quite a bit of surface action so I threw a line in with fingers crossed.

It wasn't too long before I was on and I pulled in a Whiting of about 25 - 30 cm. As he was only boderline I didn't bother measuring him and he was quickly released to fight another day.

I baited up, cast out and almost straight away I was on again. Once again another Whiting. Luckily he was destined for the same freedom the last one was awarded.

This same scenario happened four times in fairly quick succession then it went fairly quiet. It was at this time that I was starting to kick myself for not keeping a couple of the Whiting.If I had been bothered to measure them, at least two would have been legal. :mad3:

Another hour passed without any success and I was thinking of calling it a night when I hooked on to a nice flattie that went about 47 cms. I was now a little happier and this motivated me to stay a little longer. I looked at my watch and saw that it was nearly 10:30 and I really needed to get home for some beauty sleep. I decided one more cast and that would be it.

Lucky for me, that last cast netted me a PB flattie of just on 54 cms.

Cooked them up last night in a light beer batter and they were scrumcious :thumbup:

Cheers,

Graham :beersmile:

post-5378-1210204933_thumb.jpg

post-5378-1210204950_thumb.jpg

The good old last cast!

I have spent many an hour on the 'last cast'

Never a truer word spoken.

Excellent lizards

The whiting would have been good for live bait - nothing like a flattie smacking a livie!

Edited by Mariner 31

Excellent lizards

The whiting would have been good for live bait - nothing like a flattie smacking a livie!

Definitely! :thumbup:

Flatties will snack on whiting like Minties :biggrin2:

Hodgey

Great flatties mate,

I wonder if you had of put out a legal whiting or two you may have found mister jewie near by?? Perhaps he scared off the whiting and that's why they went off the bite? Worth a try next time I would say.

Excellent lizards

Would a flattie go for a legal sized whiting put out as live bait? I wouldn't have thought they would go for something that size?? I guess if it was a monster flattie a legal whiting would be fair game. I've caught flatties on yakkas before but I've never tried using something the size of a legal whiting as live bait.

Great flatties mate,

I wonder if you had of put out a legal whiting or two you may have found mister jewie near by?? Perhaps he scared off the whiting and that's why they went off the bite? Worth a try next time I would say.

Thats not a bad idea. I have been reading all the posts about the jews that have been caught recently and I have been getting keen to have a go at poppin my jewie cherry. I might have to give it a go tonight.

Good size flatties! well done.. :thumbup:

Land based I'm assuming?

I was landbased. Unfortunately I haven't been able to procure myself a boat as yet. Mainly due to the fact that I don't have any room to keep one :thumbdown:

Alright! Its time for me to knock off work and I think I may just have to try my luck again tonight for some more flatties. And perhaps, as suggested by King Slayer, a jewie if I'm lucky.

Cheers,

Graham :beersmile:

Edited by GK510

Would a flattie go for a legal sized whiting put out as live bait? I wouldn't have thought they would go for something that size?? I guess if it was a monster flattie a legal whiting would be fair game. I've caught flatties on yakkas before but I've never tried using something the size of a legal whiting as live bait.

Thats not a bad idea. Cheers,

Graham

Don't know what the rules are there with regards to using undersize fish for live bait.

I used to use whiting and mullet that were not "keepers" and the lizards hammered them.

Edited by Mariner 31