Quick Morning Fish

pacemode

Hi All,

Woke up this morning at 5.00AM and noticed the temperature warmer than most mornings. I then began to get a gut feel that I always get when targeting jew. All I wanted to do was go back to sleep as I had a doctors appointment at 9.00AM. I walked around the house for half an hour, then I checked the tide charts. Said high tide at 7.40 AM and it was not the higher of the high tides in the 24 hours. Hmmm - I knew what that meant. Packed 2 rods and half a squid into the car and of I drove down to the Parra river. I was there at 6.40 AM, just in time for a morning session. Through out 2 squid strips and waited. Within 10 minutes my rod bend and screams. Grabbed it - disengaded the baitrunner and I was on, if you could call it that. I thought at start it was a small 2 kg jew (common in the river) then I felt some heavier head shakes. Anyway within a minute I had a nice 7-8 kg jew on the rocks. Did not fight that well and noticed it was a female. I have always believed that the males go one thousand times harder. She did not croke at all thus it was a girl. Had to keep this one as I had a request for one from the parents.

Bring on winter for XOS jew!

Tight lines everyone - I am off to bed - bad back (fishermans back!)

post-2424-1211193830_thumb.jpg

well done mate thats a real nice jew :thumbup: ...

big fish an crook backs don't go well together as i suffer from it too...

but the pain sure dissapeers once you land a fine beast like that i bet.....

cheers....steve......

Edited by roosterman

Hi All,

Woke up this morning at 5.00AM and noticed the temperature warmer than most mornings. I then began to get a gut feel that I always get when targeting jew. All I wanted to do was go back to sleep as I had a doctors appointment at 9.00AM. I walked around the house for half an hour, then I checked the tide charts. Said high tide at 7.40 AM and it was not the higher of the high tides in the 24 hours. Hmmm - I knew what that meant. Packed 2 rods and half a squid into the car and of I drove down to the Parra river. I was there at 6.40 AM, just in time for a morning session. Through out 2 squid strips and waited. Within 10 minutes my rod bend and screams. Grabbed it - disengaded the baitrunner and I was on, if you could call it that. I thought at start it was a small 2 kg jew (common in the river) then I felt some heavier head shakes. Anyway within a minute I had a nice 7-8 kg jew on the rocks. Did not fight that well and noticed it was a female. I have always believed that the males go one thousand times harder. She did not croke at all thus it was a girl. Had to keep this one as I had a request for one from the parents.

Bring on winter for XOS jew!

Tight lines everyone - I am off to bed - bad back (fishermans back!)

post-2424-1211193830_thumb.jpg

well done mate , you make it look too easy.

You certainly know how t time it and land a great jew.

ChEERS

tWIN 1

MARCEL

Nice fish alright... are they o.k. to eat from the Parra River - how far up are we talking?

Probably not, but a lot of people do .. but GODDAM THAT'S A NICE CATCH !!!!

Self caught squid or squid from the shops ?

That's a good jewfish and a top early morning workout for your bad back Pacemode. :thumbup: At the moment my bad back is so bad I'm having problems dragging our constipated poodle off my shoe. :lol:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Nice fish alright... are they o.k. to eat from the Parra River - how far up are we talking?

Jew travel quite long distances so chances are that jew caught in the Hawkesbury have come from Parra river also. Jew in the river travel all the way up to Parramatta in search of hearing and mullet. I have spun up bream from Silverwater to Parramatta and I definately would not eat them. I have a test which works for me. I cut my finger a little and touch the gills and skin. If it stings heaps then I dont eat the fish. If i get no pain at all they are fine. I accidently discovered this after catching fish on the beach and the rivers and being accidently spiked by them. I found that certain fish in the parra river really stung. I also check the gills. if they are nice and red then all is fine - they are travelling fish. If the gills are dark then there is something wrong - usually resident fish. I have also seen bream with ulcers in the upper parra river - seems that the agent orange has gotten the better of them.

That's really good info pacemode!

Thanks for that, a lot of other people tend to think the same way in relation to fish travelling, what you catch and release in botany might end up in the hawkesbury a couple of days later...

Always interesting to hear people's opinions on this stuff...

Cheers

Tony