Chasing Reds In Yaks 24-25/5

southerly

Arrived at the boat ramp with my yak buddy Johnny on Satuday at 5.45am to a queue of eager boaties and about 8kts of Sw to SSW wind. Launched onto a glassy bay and headed out, a few waves breaking on the surfers white rock and also on the bommy 200 mtrs N of the front on the dead low tide.

Started to get good soundings of bait and sweep etc near the reefs. Saw a well cleaned cuttle floating on the surface so cast an SP at it for no response, I think it was too clean. There were a few gannets searching for more cuttles so it was looking good. Rigged a squid strip on the Penn and drifted a SP on the Kix. First drop with the sqid was instantly nailed and a short but spirited fight saw a 35cm snapper in the yak.

Paddled the 200mtrs of so back to my mark as I had been blown out to sea. Next drop and I hooked bottom, by the time I re-rigged it was another 200mtr paddle back to the mark. Another fast drift and another paddle back to the mark. On the next drift I was watching pickers playing with the squid strip when the SP went off. I hooked up to a solid fish that took a good run out to sea and fought hard down deep. I was hoping that it would be something better than another rat king. I finally got some colour down deep to prove it was not a king but I was unsure if it was red or jew brown. Up it popped and it was a fine red. It went straight into the net first time but didn't really fit and fell out into the boat as I lifted it.

post-3697-1211697427_thumb.jpg

At just on 70cm and 3.6kg it is a new yak PB and the biggest red I have caught for a very long time. The obligitory couple hundred meter paddle back into the wind and a trip to Johnny for a quick photoshoot (last time off Longy Johnny got a 55cm Samson and I got none, so this was revenge! ) had me back in the water just in time to snag up both rods on the bottom. After re-rigging and paddling back into position the squid strip went off to give my new Penn Tourque 300 and Daiwa Monster mesh its first real workout, the leverage this combination creates is quite frightening. The fish took about 20mtrs under heavy drag and put me into the reef after a few minutes of fight.

post-3697-1211697519_thumb.jpg

Johnny looking cold, he's right it was freezing, only the constant paddling kept me warm.

After this it was time to go home, it was only then that I noticed the water temp was a lovely 19.5 it was also a lovely blue colour. No wonder Johnny had one of those 'bump in the night' experiences east of the drop offs.

Sunday mornign and we were at it again. This time a few small kings came in up to 65cm but no snapper, a nicer morning weather wise. Had an albortros instead of gannets circling and saw a fairy penguin on the way in.

post-3697-1211697635_thumb.jpg

post-3697-1211697698_thumb.jpg

That's a real nice red, mate .... well done! :thumbup:

As others have mentioned previously; it's highly unlikely you would get me out there in a yak in those conditions :1yikes:

That's a great session, with some top fish landed. Great work!

Hodgey

That's an awesome red mate....

To get that from a yak would be great fun...nice eating too!

Cheers

Tony

Maybe don't try that in your new yak Tony!

Jake

Well done Southerly!! You should come up here & try for our reds!!! :1yikes: Some whoppers up here! Plus cobia & marlin & all sorts!!

Doesn't the cold chill the bones??? Just as well you get the exercise at the same time, to make the body work for it! :)

Cheerio

Roberta

Well done Southerly!! You should come up here & try for our reds!!! :1yikes: Some whoppers up here! Plus cobia & marlin & all sorts!!

Doesn't the cold chill the bones??? Just as well you get the exercise at the same time, to make the body work for it! :)

Cheerio

Roberta

Hi Roberta,

I would love to come up your way, the reds the yaks catch put mine to shame, it's a reasonable Sydney red though.

Benzeesee: for the record I launched at Longy, too much swell to easliy beach launch for any of the surf beaches.