Broughton Island

Ray R

G'day Raiders, just had the best day fishing up at Broughton Island a great crew of blokes and the fishing was unreal, we caught some nice reddies and although not big the are the best fun on plastics and light tackle, I got smoked by two larger models and to feel the power of these larger reds was an adrenilan rush ,they are powerful fish. We also found some small Kings and mate don't they give the light gear some curry, we had triple hook ups and there were big grins all around, they all went back in as they were only around the 55 - 60cms. We also hooked a couple of Bream one of them was a thumper well over the 40cm mark. Fished the day with plastics only makes for a very tidy non smelly boat at the end of the day, also spotted a couple of whales , one of them cruised right beside the boat, took a pic of him as he cruised on by.. So that,s it, a great day with a great bunch of blokes and Hutcho did get get his first Reddie on plastics, as well as a couple more and he was very happy about that..

post-3371-1212270466_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1212270495_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1212270544_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1212270578_thumb.jpg

Looks like a terrific outing Ray!! Well done on getting into the fish - shame about the biggies ..... guess that is why they get that big, eh? THey keep getting off!! :)

Terrific shot of the whale tail! How close was that??

Cheerio

Roberta

Looks like a terrific outing Ray!! Well done on getting into the fish - shame about the biggies ..... guess that is why they get that big, eh? THey keep getting off!! :)

Terrific shot of the whale tail! How close was that??

Cheerio

Roberta

Hi Roberta, that whale was about 10 metres from us and by the ime the camera was out he was 50 m or so away...

Nice work Ray.

I know the area fairly well, but haven't tried soft plastics there. Have you tried Mungo just north of Broughton. We even got Pearl Perch there and I reckon it could be the go with soft plastics. That and the Sisters early in the morning will be my next target I think.

I know what you mean about cleaning the boat. Or not having to at least. The YFT sure do make a mess of the boat as does the burley. Nothing like a quick hose down at the end of the day as opposed to some scrubbing where you missed while out there.

You seem to fish there often. Where do you launch from. I go out from Hawks Nest which is a bugger when the short cut at Corrie Island fills up with sand.

Just a few questions for you:

What size gear and leader were you using?

What plastics are most successful for you?

What size jigheads are you using?

Nice work Ray.

I know the area fairly well, but haven't tried soft plastics there. Have you tried Mungo just north of Broughton. We even got Pearl Perch there and I reckon it could be the go with soft plastics. That and the Sisters early in the morning will be my next target I think.

I know what you mean about cleaning the boat. Or not having to at least. The YFT sure do make a mess of the boat as does the burley. Nothing like a quick hose down at the end of the day as opposed to some scrubbing where you missed while out there.

You seem to fish there often. Where do you launch from. I go out from Hawks Nest which is a bugger when the short cut at Corrie Island fills up with sand.

Just a few questions for you:

What size gear and leader were you using?

What plastics are most successful for you?

What size jigheads are you using?

G'day Boban, we launch for a boat ramp next to Halifax Tourist Park at Nelson Bay...

well done on the snapper,

we fished broughton island last week from monday and left for home thursday mid-day

we caught kings on soft plastics and a bonnie on a soft plastic ,not much luck on the reds though,tht was our main target,we headed to sealrock on wednesday arvo in hope for some big reds with no luck ,just flatties on plastics,weather turned bad with a storm heading our way as well as a twistr you can see from a far so we jetted back.

:thumbdown:

was told a lot of bream being caught as well as whiting but the bream are not the best eating over that way

Edited by Crazy John

well done on the snapper,

we fished broughton island last week from monday and left for home thursday mid-day

we caught kings on soft plastics and a bonnie on a soft plastic ,not much luck on the reds though,tht was our main target,we headed to sealrock on wednesday arvo in hope for some big reds with no luck ,just flatties on plastics,weather turned bad with a storm heading our way as well as a twistr you can see from a far so we jetted back.

:thumbdown:

was told a lot of bream being caught as well as whiting but the bream are not the best eating over that way

Saw a guy at the boat ramp cleaning 2 big reds around the 75-80cm mark he had caught on SP's up at Seal Rocks, gotta be lucky I think sometimes they are there and sometimes not...