Fishing The Hawkesbury This Sat. Night

tryhard

g'day all,

Looking for some Opinions / guidance.

Given that I have not been out for a while, I am fishing Sat. Night rain , Hail or snow !

Is it worth going out ?

Is there any spots anyone would recomend given the amount of rain?

I am specifically targeting fish - thats any table fish with the specific exclusion of catfish & Pike eels or Toads !!!

I dont know if I'll put in at Berrowra or Apple tree or Parsely Bay, that will depend on any of the feedback I get.

thanks

I reckon there will be a lot of debris in the water. I don't know the Hawkesbury very well but you might be in with a shot targetting flatties downstream where the water isn't quite like Willy Wonka's chocolate river.

Good luck

Dont bother mate, there will be carp and eels all the way down to the heads!

From past experience the rivers will be off limits for decent fishing for a couple of weeks at least.

thanks for the responses, but you dont seem to understand.................

I must go fishing on Saturday night !!!!!!!!!!!

Oh well, looks like cat fish & eels logs & mud again!

Hi tryhard. I agree with Humesy and Musty. I don't know about the carp tho they would survive under a foot of excrement, I reckon. Although there's been a lot of rain in the Windsor Penrith section, if these carp had to hit the salt they would spew up blood and that's all well and good for an out of control species that kills thousands of freshwater fry in the marshes especially in good country in the north west.

tryhard, if the swell has settled down a bit which it may well do even by late tonight, I'd give the head of Lion a go about 150metres out and slightly round the corner from the river side bait ground, from around two hours before the top and I'd fish there for all the run down. There are two bait holding areas off Lion Island, one is when you are looking square on at the Lion from the river out from the bay that goes in to Patonga wharf, and the other bait ground or refuge is the small alcove shape in the centre of the Lion on the Brisbane waters side.

Good luck on Saturday, but I would keep out of the upriver sections as Humesy and Musty indicate and you have to fish deep.

Cheers

Jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

think the other raiders hit it on the head. will be full of eels and catties after all this rain. checked this arvo and the water was coffee coloured. maybe give round broken bay a go it might be a bit clearer as it flushes out well.

flatty.

Edited by flatty hunter626

If you have to go - you have to go. My family understands.

I actually think the Hawkesbury is not too bad......not the best.... but there's still good table fish and reasonable pockets of bait in it. Whether they bite is another thing. A big run in tide before midnight on Saturday will help your cause a little bit. Try Cowan Creek which retains its salinity better after rain, or any other area out of the main current flow. As you are fishing at night try shallow water (less than 3 metres), which has features on it such as rocks, weed, sand pockets, back eddies (preferable all of them), and fish light line with baits such as fresh peeled prawns, nippers, worms and muscles. Fish in present conditions tend to hug close to the bottom. If you start to catch catfish don't worry - simply fish lighter before you try somewhere else. This means less lead, lighter line.

Hi tryhard. I agree with Humesy and Musty. I don't know about the carp tho they would survive under a foot of excrement, I reckon. Although there's been a lot of rain in the Windsor Penrith section, if these carp had to hit the salt they would spew up blood and that's all well and good for an out of control species that kills thousands of freshwater fry in the marshes especially in good country in the north west.

tryhard, if the swell has settled down a bit which it may well do even by late tonight, I'd give the head of Lion a go about 150metres out and slightly round the corner from the river side bait ground, from around two hours before the top and I'd fish there for all the run down. There are two bait holding areas off Lion Island, one is when you are looking square on at the Lion from the river out from the bay that goes in to Patonga wharf, and the other bait ground or refuge is the small alcove shape in the centre of the Lion on the Brisbane waters side.

Good luck on Saturday, but I would keep out of the upriver sections as Humesy and Musty indicate and you have to fish deep.

Cheers

Jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Thanks Jewgaffer,

Any chance you can draw me a diagram ?

I am thinking that I'll put in at Apple tree & will give the areas up around the mouth a whirl.

with the weather lookng good thismorning, we might get enough tidal flush to make it OK.

Bring on the catties !!

thanks

Fish for Jew at the top of the tide & the runout at half tide rocks with a big, smelly pike for bait. :biggrin2:

Jew like dirty water & feed higher up in the water column in these conditions. When that first run of muddy water comes through you will be in with a shot.

Cheers,

Grant

tryhard, my answer to your question about fishing the hawkesbury on sat night for the high tide change is do what i do go fishing rain hail and darkness. I know its been raining and the water is dirty and the catties and eels love that but a good fishing night can and will be had tonight , so what im trying to say is fishing is about getting out on the water and having a good time and i love winter time fishing, in fact i to will be out there with you tonight looking for that big jew or even a hairtail or two would be nice. tryhard you cant catch fish sitting in front of screen. Mate i have my boat hooked up and im ready to go around 3pm and i will be on my own cause the mates say its to cold to fish ( girls ) . I have a blue and white 385 Feathercraft tinny JV646N with a 15hp Mercury on it so if ya come down tonight stop and say Gday. Launching boat at Apple Tree Bay and first stop across from Cottage Point yacht club . JOHNNO