Hairtail (with Pics)

abiasin

Well done, Adrian!! Top looking Hairtail!!! Better mark the spot as 'Secret X' ...... leading up to the social ;)

Roberta

Top pics!

Edited by Roberta

Great fish mate. just one question, can u eat them, what r they like too eat, and how do you clean

and fillet them. Cheers :beersmile:

you will get varied opinions i bet but i lov to eat them, i gut them, rub off the sliver and cut them into sections about 15cm long. can be cooked any which way really, i wrap them in foil with various herbs, spices etc.

Been trying to catch these buggers in the Hawkesbury at coal and candle over the years, just a general question.

Did you catch these in the Hawkesbury system? Im not after a specific location but the answer to my question will help

cheers sparky77 :1fishing1:

Nice fish there, they are weird lookin buggers arent they!!

Sparky - Hawkesbury is one of THE ONLY places to get hairies around sydney now. There are isolated reports from the harbour but are extremely far and few between to the point that i believe they no longer exist in the harbour. In the hawkesbury system there are only a few places that regularly produce. Check out the posts for the social, but any research will lead you to the same places.

Been trying to catch these buggers in the Hawkesbury at coal and candle over the years, just a general question.

Did you catch these in the Hawkesbury system? Im not after a specific location but the answer to my question will help

cheers sparky77 :1fishing1:

yeah mate all caught in the cowan.

Nice fish there, they are weird lookin buggers arent they!!

Sparky - Hawkesbury is one of THE ONLY places to get hairies around sydney now. There are isolated reports from the harbour but are extremely far and few between to the point that i believe they no longer exist in the harbour. In the hawkesbury system there are only a few places that regularly produce. Check out the posts for the social, but any research will lead you to the same places.

What is the life cycle of hairtail and why arn't they in the harbour? Where they ever in the harbour in big numbers ? and is it something that should be naturallly returning as every year the harbour looks cleaner at the minute except for the traffic on weekends.

Pel

Edited by pelican

What is the life cycle of hairtail and why arn't they in the harbour? Where they ever in the harbour in big numbers ? and is it something that should be naturallly returning as every year the harbour looks cleaner at the minute except for the traffic on weekends.

Pel