How Do You Maintain Your Gear? + Albion Knot

shefford

Well after seeing the state of my oldest rod, I'd like to know how you guys clean your gear!

I'll be honest i don't look after them as much as i should, but always give them a big hose down with fresh water, and spray light lubricant oil every nut and bolt the reel owns :1prop:

So what can i do to better maintain my reels?

1. Fresh water to clear the salt water out

2. Lubricate the reel

3. avoid dirty thoughts about number 2

HELP IS Appreciated!

Most of my rods are my dads so i got them in the condition they were in, but have been slowly adding new reels to his rods and chucking out his stuffed reels.

-------

Albion

I have a okuma epix 80 reel and i have it spooled with 250 metres of 20lb mono, but i have trouble every time i put a 6-8 metre 30lb leader on it.

The knot breaks/slips out at the join when a 3-5kg fish takes a dive, has happened about 4 times, since then i have been using a short leader with a swivel for bottom bashing, but need to know how to do the knot properly when summer comes around for lure casting!

dsc01642qr8.jpg

I threaded the braid around the mono leader line starting left to right, did 5 loops and then passed the braid back through the open ended loop at the top and did 5 back down the opposite way to the loop.

Is there any other knots that i can try, or a better picture to describe the knot. I think stewy or someone showed me one on my first post but i can't remember how to do it :wife:

Can't go wrong with an improved albright knot when tying a Mono/FLuoro Leader to Braid....

has only let me down once.. though I suspect it was due to my drag not being set! would've won that battle otherwise!

:1fishing1: AJ

unless stated you can flush your reels with fresh water like the daiwas, i would just use a damp cloth to wipe down the salt. But i still use a damp cloth to wipe my daiwas. You don't want to have water mixed with the residual salt seep into the reel. then spray over with Inox. finally wipe of any excess Inox

if you don't mind, give me your email, i've got full of pdf's how to clean and maintain your reel.

With respect to the knot I use the Albright as stated by AJ; however, I double the braid (usually with a small bimini twist). Doubling your braid will prevent it from cutting through your mono or fluro.

With respect to the reels I never hose them down under pressure as this can force salt into them. Instead, if my reels have been subjected to salt I take them along with my rods into the shower..... Yes, laugh if you will, but not only do I end up clean but so does my equipment..... and a bloke just has to have clean equipment. :1prop:

Squizy

Edited by Squizy

Does inox or similar degrade line? I see a mate spray it everywhere and he has more knot breaks and bustoffs than he should. Could just be his line?

Iricangi...

Pelican as raised a very relevant observation and you will find that most sprays

that are commonly used actually do more harm than good...

and in the majority of cases result in denegradation to the line..

a more friendlier product you can use designed in mind to not do the above

is CRC Tackle Gaurd...

use that with a little bit more confidence...

Cheers Warnie.....

I use warm soapy water (mild soap) and sponge the rod and reel over before rinsing off with a fine spray from the garden hose.

Make sure to lock the drag tight up before washing.

Make sure to slacken the drag after washing completed. :biggrin2:

Iricangi...

Pelican as raised a very relevant observation and you will find that most sprays

that are commonly used actually do more harm than good...

and in the majority of cases result in denegradation to the line..

a more friendlier product you can use designed in mind to not do the above

is CRC Tackle Gaurd...

use that with a little bit more confidence...

Cheers Warnie.....

Thanks Warnie and Robbie

Asked my mate how old his line was when having a beer last night and Ithink in his case it might b age and sun damage related. He must just drink instead of rerigging when the weather is crap.

Thanks

Pel