Daiwa Tierra Or Stradic Fi

nzwarriors

Sorry to knock your reels Steve,

The tierra are not a bad reel, but whats funny is Daiwa do offer basically the same reel with nearly the same/similar features for less dollars.

If your after a reel of similar quality to the tierra for $60-80 less then a Daiwa CY would be the answer. They have air bail, CRBB (rust proof bearings), abs basically all the Daiwa jazz that the tierra has.

The tierra is a little lighter and with the blue and silver colors they look great, daiwa claims the tierra is

washable.....to be honest i don't wash my reels. I have seen to many tierras seize because people think washable is hose the shit out of it and then hang it back up.

NZ if your chasing bang for your bucks then the CY is the answer ( i have 3 of them) and i swear by daiwas build quality and value for money. Shimano do offer some great gear such as the stradic, but the reel is a little over priced for whats on offer and even though some blokes are set in their ways and biased daiwa is leading the tackle market with great value for money.

Overall i think that there is more reel for your dollars and would crank a daiwa before i do shimano if in doubt NZ go and visit the sponsors they will be happy to help.

Good luck

Cam

Edited by soft-on

i think i'm going to have to disagree with you there cam, there is a difference between the daiwas despite them all sporting similar features, the difference being build quality(longevity).

with the cy and exceler (both similar reels) there's no doubt that you get a lot of bang for your buck, but i think that after a year or so of using them, they will be relatively worn whereas the Tierra/Advantage/Sol will still be performing as new. the more expensive reels can take more punishment and for longer whereas you may find the drag failing etc in the cheaper variants.

just my two cents

back to the topic at hand...daiwa offers more for your money in the mid range reels i believe. so Tierra gets the vote for me, although there is a bit of a price difference between the two, so a better comparison for the price would probably be the Daiwa Advantage/Sol vs Stradic

Edited by WillN

I have only 'played' with a Tierra at the tackle shop and did not particularly like the feel of it (but I was comparing to a Sol :1prop: ) but obviously, it's not the same as owning and using one.

To put a spin on things, have a play with a Shimano Saros. I have one and can't fault it. Comparable to a Stradic, but I believe less max drag.

Does the Tierra come with 2 spools ? That may be another consideration as I know a few Daiwa reels only come with 1 spool. Stradic x2 spools.

Hope that helps mate !

Stylo the Terria dose come with 2 spools i own a 1500 and recon its well worth the money. :1fishing1:

Well, there you go nzwarriors, straight from the horses mouth. I really do not think that there is a lot between the reels at that price range, between any of the brands. It's really up to your personal preference as to which reel you get.

EDIT

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.ph...c=32240&hl=

how convenient

Edited by stylo

I suppose it also depends on the size of reel you're talking about as well. I haven't tried a Stradic but do have a Tierra 2500 with one spool of 6lb fireline and the other spool running 10lb Spiderwire braid. I love this reel for my style of fishing and am very happy with it.

Daiwa says this reel has 8.8lb of max drag pressure where as the Saros 2500 has a max drag load rating of 11lb and the Stradic 2500 at 15lb max drag pressure. I'm not sure what that equates to in the real world but the Shimanos seem to have a beefier drag for this particular reel size.

The Tierra is nice and light however.

Just my $0.02

Marty

G'day NZ,

There is no such thing as a 'best reel'. Daiwa and Shimano reels are all good... you'll only get as many opinions as you get people replying.

Any question comparing Daiwa to Shimano gets about the same response as asking 'holden or ford?'. Either of those reels are bloody good. You just need to decide based on the features of each vs what you want. Even deciding based on which one you think looks better is valid.

The new Stradics have some new features that improve performance, the Daiwa's are constantly being developed too and I think look sexier.

I use almost exclusively Shimano reels but not because I think they're better than Daiwas. I've just got a lot of confidence in them based on past experience.

No one can tell you which is best for you except you... you're not comparing apples with apples. You just need to decide whether you'd rather have an apple or an orange. (just don't get a lemon :biggrin2: )

Cheers, Slinky

Hi NZ,

As most people have said both are good reels that are pretty similar in terms of features and price.

Just go with what you think seems best to you and what you're going to be using it for.

I like both brands and currently have a Daiwa Exceller Plus which is like the next model down from Tierra, and find it quite nice to use and seems well worth its price (depending where you get it) as should any reel.

I'm looking to upgrade within the next few months as well and will probably stick with Daiwa, maybe an advantage or sol.

Cheers

Josh

ps-sent you a pm also.

Hey guys,

Just wondering which one would you recommend.

Many thanks.

Regards,

NZ

If its a small size your talking about ie 2500, I would be getting the Stradic. You cant beat the 6.0 ratio. I personally think this is important in a small reel. You can always crank ur metals faster, keep line taught easier on a hooked fish swimming flat out towards you etc. Just getting your line/ lure where you want it quicker in general.

Quality wise, there both pretty good, but I still like Stratic better.

Well, there you go nzwarriors, straight from the horses mouth. I really do not think that there is a lot between the reels at that price range, between any of the brands. It's really up to your personal preference as to which reel you get.

EDIT

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.ph...c=32240&hl=

how convenient

How convenient indeed :074:

Its a shame the one im selling is a 2500 and too big for what im after.

Stylo if your going to get a terria id go with the 1500 or 2000 size.

How convenient indeed :074:

Its a shame the one im selling is a 2500 and too big for what im after.

Stylo if your going to get a terria id go with the 1500 or 2000 size.

I am all for the promotion of my own goods :)

I have filled up my rod rack with 9 combos - can't fit another one sorry ! :mad3:

NZ,

Mate I have both Shimano & Diawa reels as well as a couple of Penn & Okuma. So as you see I have no strong alliances with any manufacturer.

To me it comes down to what you want from your reel & how much money you are prepared to spend on it.

I have a 2500 Stradic for plastics & 3000 Sol for chasing kings ect & now a 2000 Advantage. To me there is a split hair between them. All are fantastic reels & perfom their tasks exceptionally well.

You need to weigh up what size you want/need for the task you want it to perform. How it feels on the rod you are going to put it on. And don't discount picking up what you want second hand either. You can get some really great deals if you are carefull.

Paul

Like the last post, I own majority Shimano and Penns. I have a couple of Okumas and the one Diawa.

Frankly I can't fault any of them as they are all used for a different purpose. I had never owned a Diawa previously, pretty much for the reason that Slinky says (Holdens and Fords).

Saying that, I would be more than happy to own more Diawa reels if Slinky will buy them for me on his next tackle binge. :tease:

Like the last post, I own majority Shimano and Penns. I have a couple of Okumas and the one Diawa.

Frankly I can't fault any of them as they are all used for a different purpose. I had never owned a Diawa previously, pretty much for the reason that Slinky says (Holdens and Fords).

Saying that, I would be more than happy to own more Diawa reels if Slinky will buy them for me on his next tackle binge. :tease:

you'll get people supporting both models here but for me it was a no brainer

- stradic felt smooth but alot weaker build compared to daiwa.

- even the stellas dont have air bails? wtf is up with that? even a 30 dolla daiwa regal comes with airbail!! im sure they have their reasons but i would personally prefer one rather than not!

- my old stradic 1500 had massive wind knot problems, basically because of the small size of the reel it was not laying braid on the reel very well at all when they was the smallest ammount of slack. the daiwa cy, which i have on the other hand, wound braid flawlessly.

- the only thing the stradic had going for it was it does sound alot nicer when the drag screams. and also, the daiwas only come in really slow speeds

im personally boycotting shimano, the only reels id ever get from them would be the 10000 and 20000 stellas. or maybe a stradic if i needed a bit of speed in my retrieve it's just personal,

Edited by my03

- my old stradic 1500 had massive wind knot problems, basically because of the small size of the reel it was not laying braid on the reel very well at all when they was the smallest ammount of slack. the daiwa cy, which i

This is a well documented problem (from a lot of users anyway !!) and has been sorted out with the new range of Shim. reels - I think with the SR Bail or S-Arm Cam .. Ceph will be able to tell you which exactly it is.

I am not biased to any which brand of reel ... if I could afford it, I would have one in every brand in every size class in order to make my own comparisons.

I started with Shimano and their reels have never failed me .. very hard to switch brands when you are confident with your gear.