Our Holiday

Josh88

Hi All,

Just come back from a great trip in Maui, Hawaii.

We did 3 charters whilst over there 2 on the same boat which were awesome and the other was not very good.

Details of the Trips

Our first trip was great, Skipper Patrick and deckie Brandon had been out since midnight catching the live bait for us!! and myself, brother and step dad left Lahaina Harbour at 330am to head 36 miles out! to the far FADS. Nearly 2 hours later we reach the first FAD and out goes a dead mackeral bait and within seconds line in screaming off the TLD 50, I take the rod and have a nice battle with my first dolphin fish, brought on board and is the biggest one of the trip weighing 20lb and about 1.2-1.3m long.

We managed 4 dollies at that first FAD and with the sight of some pilot whales arriving and bite slowing we decided to head off to the next FAD. It was at this point where I start verbally :puke: emptying the contents of my stomach into the toilet which is the first ever time I’ve experienced motion sickness :ranting2: from previously believing I had a stomach of steel, perhaps to blame were the facts I was recovering from glandular fever, had just come off a 10 hour plane ride 15hours prior to waking up at 2am to go fishing and I sat inside on the way out....

Anyway we scored 2 more dollies at the 2nd FAD and none at the third so we trolled our way back in and I managed my first Wahoo weighing 20lb and being 1.2-1.3m in length.

The 2nd trip was a more inshore trip only heading a few miles out from the harbour, we had to catch our own live bait=1 mackeral compared to 20 caught for us and the boat wasn't driven any faster than 11knots the whole trip which was disappointing. The determination shown on the first trip was clearly not evident as my step dad caught a bluefin trevally and I got busted off by a shark...

Our final trip was out with the Capt. Patrick again and deckie Steve, Much longer trip this time heading around the island to the other side of it which was a solid 3 hour trip but rougher swell forced us to go slower going out. This time it was my step dad who as a neurosurgeon is the calmest most level-headed person I know who everyone thought had the most solid stomach of steel until after about an hour and a half :puke: experienced his first bout of motion sickness.

We just fished the one FAD this time and managed 7 dollies from it all average of about 12-15lb.

Trolled back again and I managed my 2nd Wahoo and the best fish of all trips weighing 22lb (looking a lot heavier) and measuring 1.3m give or take a few cm.

Overall we had a great time and are planning to head back to Maui in the future.

Here are some of the pics.

My PB Wahoo

post-6719-1215592416_thumb.jpg

Us with Capt. Patrick & fish from first trip

post-6719-1215592453_thumb.jpg

Dollies we caught

post-6719-1215592428_thumb.jpg

My first and PB Dollie

post-6719-1215592468_thumb.jpg

Deckie Brandon with my 2nd best dollie

post-6719-1215592439_thumb.jpg

Brother Louis with his PB dollie

post-6719-1215592477_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Josh

Hey Josh,

Fantastic report mate. Great to see you got into some good fish. I wouldn't worry about the sea sickness. There aren't many of us who it hasn't hit as some time. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. The important thing is you kept fishing and got some great results.

Cheers, Slinky

Thanks guys.

It really was a great holiday and i'd recommend anyone who gets the chance to go there to take it. We're certain that we'll be heading back in a few years or so but next on the list is probably the Bay of Islands, NZ. Hopefully rip into some serious snapper and kingies.

Cheers

Josh

Terrific holiday, Josh!! Great fish! We only got a couple of skipjack tuna when we went on a charter off Kona some years back! :( Well done - shame about the :puke: tho - I can relate to that! Not pleasant, at all! I usually just call it 'free Berley' :074:

Cheerio

ROberta