Fishing With Et And Tetsuya

Ross Hunter

FISHING ON BROADBILL WITH ET AND TETSUYA

Had a great day today fishing with ET and famous Japanese chef Tetsuya.

His restaurant in Sydney is very popular and recognised world wide as one of the best.

I have fished with Tetsuya a few times before and he has caught some pretty nice yellowfin to 50 kg with us. I have also fished with ET several times with Troy Casser Daley and a recent segment at Pt Stephens when we caught a paraplegic guy in a wheel chair his first marlin. That was a great personal thrill for us all that day We ended up with three marlin overall and a great segment was run on ET’s Escape program last year.

Today, the plan was to go tuna fishing but with 16 degree water it was agreed that kingfish would be a safer bet. We wanted a good quality sashimi fish and kings are in that catorgary. We have been very successful on the kings for the past fortnight and although smallish would get the yarn done.. So off to the peak we ventured in the 20 knot Sou Wester.

At first the kings were tough and had not schooled, however we persevered and caught several unders and then a few keepers.( the average fish at the moment is 4 to 5 kg, they are small, but they will also find their way to Tetsuya’s restaurant where he will prepare them on camera as sashimi for the show. It was hard to stay over the fish in the wind but by lunch time had caught enough on film to try something else.

We had caught a nice pinkie and a few jackets as a bit of variety. So we then head to the ever reliable flathead grounds and finished off the yarn with a reasonable catch of blue spot flathead.

Weather is major factor when it comes to a successful day and the early winds did make it tougher on the kingfish, but we ended up, with a little tenacity having a great day.

I find it hard to believe that ET has been a legendary footballer all his life, but barely has a scar on his face You gotta admit girls He’s a bit of a hunk!

Both ET and Tetsuya are beaut blokes to fish with and I will look forward to the segment on Escape in summer sometime.

post-2782-1218619147_thumb.jpg

post-2782-1218619292_thumb.jpg

post-2782-1218619439_thumb.jpg

post-2782-1218619463_thumb.jpg

FISHING ON BROADBILL WITH ET AND TETSUYA

Had a great day today fishing with ET and famous Japanese chef Tetsuya.

His restaurant in Sydney is very popular and recognised world wide as one of the best.

I have fished with Tetsuya a few times before and he has caught some pretty nice yellowfin to 50 kg with us. I have also fished with ET several times with Troy Casser Daley and a recent segment at Pt Stephens when we caught a paraplegic guy in a wheel chair his first marlin. That was a great personal thrill for us all that day We ended up with three marlin overall and a great segment was run on ET’s Escape program last year.

Today, the plan was to go tuna fishing but with 16 degree water it was agreed that kingfish would be a safer bet. We wanted a good quality sashimi fish and kings are in that catorgary. We have been very successful on the kings for the past fortnight and although smallish would get the yarn done.. So off to the peak we ventured in the 20 knot Sou Wester.

At first the kings were tough and had not schooled, however we persevered and caught several unders and then a few keepers.( the average fish at the moment is 4 to 5 kg, they are small, but they will also find their way to Tetsuya’s restaurant where he will prepare them on camera as sashimi for the show. It was hard to stay over the fish in the wind but by lunch time had caught enough on film to try something else.

We had caught a nice pinkie and a few jackets as a bit of variety. So we then head to the ever reliable flathead grounds and finished off the yarn with a reasonable catch of blue spot flathead.

Weather is major factor when it comes to a successful day and the early winds did make it tougher on the kingfish, but we ended up, with a little tenacity having a great day.

I find it hard to believe that ET has been a legendary footballer all his life, but barely has a scar on his face You gotta admit girls He’s a bit of a hunk!

Both ET and Tetsuya are beaut blokes to fish with and I will look forward to the segment on Escape in summer sometime.

ross thats mad about time someone with knowledge showed him how to fish i'm sick of watching him fish for barra i'll be watching for that episode

cheers warren

its great to hear stories like that

what is andrew like?

ET is a great bloke. As a high profile sportsman and a TV presenter you could excuse him for being a little airy, but that's not the way it is he really is a nice bloke and a good fisherman to boot.

We have fished with many famous sporstsman over the years cricketers Merv Hughes,Mark Taylor. Lille Thomo, Len Pascoe,Brett Lee ,Glenn McGrath. Footballers Peter Sterling ex Wallaby Bill Young and many more over the years. It is a little daunting when they walk on the boat, having maybe held them up as your sporting idols for years, but I can honestly say that each and every one of them have always been a total pleasure to fish with.

Ross

ross thats mad about time someone with knowledge showed him how to fish i'm sick of watching him fish for barra i'll be watching for that episode

cheers warren

Warren,

Thanks mate, I am not sure when it will be aired but will advise on the site when I know.

Ross

[Great report mate

but it went way too far when you said he's a hunk

i said your joking

Stay calm,

I said "Girls think he's a hunk" but you have to admit He's not a bad looking bloke for someone who's played How many tests for Australia, State of Origin and thousands of club games over along career. Been bashed and smashed by all and sundry on the footy field and still is a Hunk

Let's hear from the girls on their thoughts?

And No! I am not turning.

That's terrific Ross - so glad you were able to put them onto fish under trying conditions!! Hope you get an invite to the restaurant!

Et is a lovely bloke - he gave out the prizes at the Forster Fishing Carnival (first time he had been here & had so much fun he reckons he'll be back again!) THe footage taken of him fishing here will also be on his show when it is on air again. A couple of young locals stuck to him like glue the whole time he was on the water & they will no doubt be on it as well. After returning to SYdney, he sent both of them a top level Shimano combo with the latest Gulp professional sps!! :1yikes:

I was chatting with him & showed him my Hobie Kayak & he was most impressed & keen to give them a go.

As you said - a real hunk, but nice to boot. He gave freely of his time to anyone who approached him for photos (including me!) or a chat. That is almost unheard of with some of the current 'stars' believing too much of their own publicity & behaving badly regularly. Over paid & idle hands = TROUBLE! I don't think I ever heard of ET behaving badly either on-field & off-field when playing footie. He was a bigger star then than any current player ever will be, I reckon!

post-2231-1218665375_thumb.jpg

Cheerio

Roberta

That's terrific Ross - so glad you were able to put them onto fish under trying conditions!! Hope you get an invite to the restaurant!

Et is a lovely bloke - he gave out the prizes at the Forster Fishing Carnival (first time he had been here & had so much fun he reckons he'll be back again!) THe footage taken of him fishing here will also be on his show when it is on air again. A couple of young locals stuck to him like glue the whole time he was on the water & they will no doubt be on it as well. After returning to SYdney, he sent both of them a top level Shimano combo with the latest Gulp professional sps!! :1yikes:

I was chatting with him & showed him my Hobie Kayak & he was most impressed & keen to give them a go.

As you said - a real hunk, but nice to boot. He gave freely of his time to anyone who approached him for photos (including me!) or a chat. That is almost unheard of with some of the current 'stars' believing too much of their own publicity & behaving badly regularly. Over paid & idle hands = TROUBLE! I don't think I ever heard of ET behaving badly either on-field & off-field when playing footie. He was a bigger star then than any current player ever will be, I reckon!

post-2231-1218665375_thumb.jpg

Cheerio

Roberta

Thanks for the back up and Yes he is a great human being.. I'm glad you found him a little Hunky.. PS Went down the river on Tuesday got 7 nice blackfish..No photos

Ross

Some people are just born with talent and modesty.

ET is a great fan of mine.

Seems that anything he does he is good at, damn champion.

Didn't do too bad yourself there Ross, your reputation is obviously widely known amongst the stars.

Great effort and look forward to seeing the programme.

Trust you didn't take any photos in the shower!! :wacko:

Some people are just born with talent and modesty.

ET is a great fan of mine.

Seems that anything he does he is good at, damn champion.

Didn't do too bad yourself there Ross, your reputation is obviously widely known amongst the stars.

Great effort and look forward to seeing the programme.

Trust you didn't take any photos in the shower!! :wacko:

Mariner 31

Have you seen the shower on Broadbill?

You are right he is a good bloke

Ross

Congrate Rosscoe. :thumbup: Looks like you had a great day fishing with the two stars.

Ross where you filmed as well. You will be famous mate. :yahoo:

Cheers LALA

La La

Not really mate I just put the grubs on the hooks.. I am looking forward to seeing you catch your first marlin at Pt Stephens in '09 with The Raiders team

Roscoe

Well done I like watching E.t's fishing shows, very entertaining and comes across as a nice guy.

I remember one time he was catching kingies around the heads a few years back.

I'll fish Sydney one day and hopefully on one of your charters :biggrin2:

G'day Ross,

Glad to see that you put ET and Tetsuya onto some great table fish :clapping: .........sound like a nice day on the water, cant wait to see the video.

But I must say that I'm a little envious to hear that you manager seven blackfish on Tuesday, after Mondays very poor showing. Stewy is still spewin about the couple he lost!!! Did you get them on the same weed we were using the day before ;) ?

Cheers,

Chris...

G'day Ross,

Glad to see that you put ET and Tetsuya onto some great table fish :clapping: .........sound like a nice day on the water, cant wait to see the video.

But I must say that I'm a little envious to hear that you manager seven blackfish on Tuesday, after Mondays very poor showing. Stewy is still spewin about the couple he lost!!! Did you get them on the same weed we were using the day before ;) ?

Cheers,

Chris...

Chris,

Yes! the fish did bite a little better and a couple of good ones in the catch.. Bear in mind I worked hard fpor them, they weren't snapping their heads off.. I used your weed and a mix of Kelso weed They bit on both.

Ross

Hey Roscoe,

Whats the Hunter technique for Kingies? do you Jig them or Live/dead bait?

Dont tell me Emu cubes em with pillies!!??

top effort in that kind of wind on broadbill eitherway... :thumbup:

Tobyw

We pretty much do it all a bit of jigging and if they are on jigs then we'll perserver. Live baiting is always the best but you have to have the live bait and that can be hard out of Botany Bay.Anchoring and cubing will always work we use whole pillies and float them down, always good on rat kings. Hope that answers your questions.

Ross

G'day Ross,

Cheers,

Chris...

Chris,

A mix of Kelso and your weed Mind you we worked hard for them

Ross

Great story Ross,

Havent had the pleasure of meeting ET but i do watch his show when i get a chance. As for Tetsuya's i've heard many good things over the years so now i am in the books to dine, i'm sure its worth the wait!

Cant wait to check out the show reel!

Good luck this weekend guys!

Ben

Hey Roscoe,

Whats the Hunter technique for Kingies? do you Jig them or Live/dead bait?

Dont tell me Emu cubes em with pillies!!??

top effort in that kind of wind on broadbill eitherway... :thumbup:

WE jig and if that works we persever But anchoring and cubing and fishing with whole squid and pillies will see better results if the currents are right They are all pretty much rats at the moment

Ross

Nice work on the flatties and kings mate. :thumbup:

Took my wife to Tetsuyas for her 40th,it is unbelievable!

I had the single most amazing mouthful of food

ive ever had in my life there!

Never forget it

hookem

I have not been to Tetsuya's but will try soon I believe it's pretty good verging on emotional

Will let you know after I try it

Ross

When will the show be aired? Good fish.

Sa fisho

I am led to believe sometime in mid November Will advise when confirmed

Ross