Salting Beach Worms

blue marlin

never salted worms but i've salted just about every thing else

standard salting setup

steel a baking tray and half fill with salt spread the bait out and fill with salt

now the fun bit

with bait you may wish to dry out to differant levels off de hydration

eg,2 days for slimmy and bonito ferms the fillets up so they don;t fall to peaces

1 week and the pickers stuggle to pull the bait apart

so with worms i would check every day and freeze when they are just right for you

i would guess 1 day would be plenty

never let the salt get wet if it does replace it and reclame the used salt and keep using it

to dry out the used salt you need a good sunny day and a slab off concreat and move it around with a broom

through out the day

your used salt will eventuly become saturated with oil and become useless for salting that when we put it in the burly mix

salting is fun on a shitty day

hope this helps just experiment with time in salt and it will all be good

cherrs gary

Nudge with worms the go is to soak them them in metholated spirits for a very short while. Bit of an old boy trick that no-one seems to do anymore...many old skool beach jew fishos reckoned metho'd worms outfish fresh. Gary's salting technique is the bomb for any fish flesh :thumbup:

Hi nudge

Half fill an ice cream container with water then saturate it with salt (keep adding salt until it doesn’t dissolve). Put the worms in for a few hours or until they shrink a bit and go hard. Pat dry the worms, then put them into those snaplock bags and into the freezer. I found they last for a few months. They’re not as good as fresh worms, but still work okay as a backup.

As Jigholio suggested, the metho technique does work, but I found I generally caught more fish when the worms were just "salted".

Cheers

Peter