Big Salmon From Davistown Wharf

Ray R

G'day Raiders, just got back from my flattie flicking arvo, tried around Lintern St channel Davistown for zero , so I moved to another spot , Eulalia Wharf Davistown, I started flicking plastics hoping for a flattie and whilst there started chatting to an old guy there , introduced myself to the chap , his name was Don from Saratoga, well we chatted away as he was really interested in my style of fishing , he was checking out my plastic and jighead and how I retrieved, and as we are talking I get an enquiry I said to Don "MATE I JUST GOT A LITTLE TAP" well then all hell breaks loose the little stradic is getting a lot of line ripped off and then about 50 meters away this thing takes a flying leap, it is now that we realise I've hooked into a salmon, old Don is coaching me now, he was as excited as I was, well after 5 mins or so this big fat salmon had tired and I was able to bring him to the jettys edge where Don had his net ready, and with a masterful net position, old Don had him.

We were both stoked with the catch , never before had he ever seen a salmon caught from the jetty, Don took a couple of pics of me and the salmon, then we sent it back, I swam it for a moment and then it took off.

Well there you have it a most unusual catch, a great fight , and very grateful that Don was there with his net cause I never would've got it in. By the way the salmon we estimate to be about 65cm's..

Cheers...

post-3371-1220942718_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1220942753_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1220942781_thumb.jpg

Another great report Ray :thumbup: That was fortunate having a keen and CAPABLE bystander available to net your salmon for you!

That's a very nice loking outfit you were using ... what is the rod? I particularly appreciated the photo showing off the glove! ;) Did you find it helpful?

Keep 'em coming mate

Cheers

Hodgey

Another great report Ray :thumbup: That was fortunate having a keen and CAPABLE bystander available to net your salmon for you!

That's a very nice loking outfit you were using ... what is the rod? I particularly appreciated the photo showing off the glove! ;) Did you find it helpful?

Keep 'em coming mate

Cheers

Hodgey

Yeah mate the glove worked a treat, and yes I am glad Don was there firstly to net it for me and secondly to catch a salmon from that area would have raised eyebrows in a suspicious manner so I was glad to have a witness, I still find it strange that a salmon was so far up the Brisbane Water system, and the rod is a Berkley Pro Tactic Pro Select Series 2-5 kg 7' a great rod I've had it for about a year or so now.. Cheers

Nice Sambo Ray,

good to see someone can actually catch a decent size fish from Eulalia. I have only ever caught baby bream & squire from there, I launch the boat there fairly often now.

From your pics I would say he came in with the tide, looks like a high tide to me.

Love the clear photos, what camera do you use ?

Steve

Nice Sambo Ray,

good to see someone can actually catch a decent size fish from Eulalia. I have only ever caught baby bream & squire from there, I launch the boat there fairly often now.

From your pics I would say he came in with the tide, looks like a high tide to me.

Love the clear photos, what camera do you use ?

Steve

G'day Steve, at the moment I have a Canon Powershot a720 , my big Sony died and this is just a fill in camera.

I dont fish Eulalia much but it was out of the wind so it was pleasent there. Cheers..

Edited by Ray R

That's a beautiful fishy looking spot and a great catch - even better when someone's there to share the occasion.

Just to add to the questions list - what size / weight jighead and line / leader combination do you use when targetting flatties? I fish landbased a lot in similar areas and am interested in what others are using ...

That's a beautiful fishy looking spot and a great catch - even better when someone's there to share the occasion.

Just to add to the questions list - what size / weight jighead and line / leader combination do you use when targetting flatties? I fish landbased a lot in similar areas and am interested in what others are using ...

G'day Pmak, info for you, squidgy fish shape 11 gram jighead, berkley chartreuse 100mm minnow, 3.6 kg stren glacier blue braid, 3.6 kg berkley vanish flurocarbon leader, shimano stradic 2500 , berkely pro series pro tactic 2-5 kg 2.13 m one piece.. There you have it pmak , hope this helps you out.. Cheers