Blast From The Past

Geoff

Hi Geoff, thanks for posting mate, it is interesting to see things like this and when we have a clean up here at work I always find old brochures and the like.

I have a mate that has his own websites that he has some very cool old stuff on. If any Raider is interested goto the web addresses below but be warned you can easily waste a few hours on both sites.

http://community.webshots.com/user/LIQUIDNIRVANA

http://community.webshots.com/user/LIQUIDNIRVANA2 This the site with most of the old stuff on it.

Cheers,

Huey.

We are talking years gone past Mod's - please don't cull.

I recall late 60's and early 70's the old man purchasing the first real outboard from Knock and Kirby's Marine at Bankstown. Prior to that it was the Seagull. Still remember their test tank. First the 5Hp, then 6Hp then 9.9Hp Johnston - all with the green paintjob. From the date of that Telegraph I was 3 months from comming into this world. Scary thought!!!!!

Would welcome turning back the hands of time.

Too much political correctness, equal opportunity (whether good or bad) and paddle pops were what - 2 cents or 5 cents or something silly like that.

Cleaning out some old cupboards at my Mum's place & came across the boating page from the Daily Telegraph dated May 1962.

Here are a few pic's of interest.

Geoff

post-731-1221442149_thumb.jpg

post-731-1221442194_thumb.jpg

post-731-1221442238_thumb.jpg

Geoff

As one of my projects when I retire, I have in my possession a 7.5 hp scott outboard motor and cosidering that it was probably made in 1962 its in reasonable nick.

I should bring it over one day and show it to you.

When you think about it though, back then people used to get paid I think about 20 pounds a week so, at 550 for a fibreglass machine that was only for the rich.

David.

Geoff

As one of my projects when I retire, I have in my possession a 7.5 hp scott outboard motor and cosidering that it was probably made in 1962 its in reasonable nick.

I should bring it over one day and show it to you.

When you think about it though, back then people used to get paid I think about 20 pounds a week so, at 550 for a fibreglass machine that was only for the rich.

David.

Dave A guy I used to knock around with in the early 60's had a 14' runabout with a 25hp Scott. It had a hard life , very noisy moter but considering the treatment it got was reasonable reliable.

I did a similar cost comparison on the 75hp Evinrude. I used 25 pounds per week which equates to 17 weeks pay back period.

Not sure of the cost of a 75hp E-Tec but guess around $10,000 to buy off the shelf. A $1,000 / week is not an uncommon salary these days so 10 weeks pay back.

If we assume the above is reasonable calculation that would make the 1962 Evinrude worth 250 pounds

All very interesting to compare but generally could be filed under the heading of useless information

Geoff

Dave A guy I used to knock around with in the early 60's had a 14' runabout with a 25hp Scott. It had a hard life , very noisy moter but considering the treatment it got was reasonable reliable.

I did a similar cost comparison on the 75hp Evinrude. I used 25 pounds per week which equates to 17 weeks pay back period.

Not sure of the cost of a 75hp E-Tec but guess around $10,000 to buy off the shelf. A $1,000 / week is not an uncommon salary these days so 10 weeks pay back.

If we assume the above is reasonable calculation that would make the 1962 Evinrude worth 250 pounds

All very interesting to compare but generally could be filed under the heading of useless information

Geoff

Geoff

Yes its useless information but I reckon its at least got some truth to it and its better than the spin pollies give us about how well the State is going or what their real agendas are.

David