Anchor Winch

novice

Hi raiders,

I am looking at having an anchor winch put on the boat (stejcraft monaco), but have been told that more glass may be needed to mount the winch.

Do you guys know of anyone in the smithfield area (or surrounding areas) that does this sort of thing ??? or install winches, glassing , the whole lot ????

Cheers,

Taps.

Hi raiders,

I am looking at having an anchor winch put on the boat (stejcraft monaco), but have been told that more glass may be needed to mount the winch.

Do you guys know of anyone in the smithfield area (or surrounding areas) that does this sort of thing ??? or install winches, glassing , the whole lot ????

Cheers,

Taps.

I have a Muir winch on both my pleasure and commercial craft.

Try this link for the info you require.

Hope it helps.

http://www.muir.com.au/

Hey Taps

My boat is stored at Fairfield and I have had a bit of work done on it by Precision Marine at Bankstown; give them a call I'm pretty sure they can sort this for you. Oh and I get nothing for this, jsut a happy camper with their service.

Cheers

Jiggy

Hi raiders,

but have been told that more glass may be needed to mount the winch.

Cheers,

Taps.

Suggest you ask the person who advised the above to provide further definition , ie , glass on top of the deck or underneath. How big an area requires additional glass , how much glass ( thickness ) is required etc.

If the front deck is strong enough to walk on then I would be looking at adding some timber under the deck, say about 300 - 400mm square by 15mm thick.

This will spread the load similar to having extra glass.

Mount the winch through the deck & bolt the winch through the timber

Geoff

Is it a Bowrider or Cruiser.

By the looks of the Cruiser, the only place to fit a winch would be where the bollard is in the anchor locker.

It would be reinforced sufficiently for the bollard, therefore one could only presume that it would be suitable for a windlass. I think you would need to look at a vertically positioned winch to be practical.

After looking at photos of the Monaco there appears to be little space (deck) available to mount a winch without compromising the integrity of the deck and cabin.

I would suggest that you contact the manufacturer and ask of similar installations before I considered mounting anything aftermarket on such a great looking rig.

Good Luck.

As the others have stated chack and see if there is enogh room to mount it and if there is then you can reinforce the deck with a piece of timber underneith, does not need to be fibreglassed in.

Looking at a pic of your boat i cant see how you will fit it ?

I dont hink you have the room, you need 400mm below the underside of the deck to allow enough room for the rope and chain to fall. You also need a flat area to mount it.

I am fitting a Muir Storm 850 winch to my Bertram 25, all i need to do now is connect all the wiring, fit the switch at the helm and i am ready to go.

Good luck

Cheers :beersmile:

Go the anchorball or get at young energetic decky. Always tough to retrofit a anchor winch in a smaller boat.

What's the reason you want to fit one and in what depth of water do you normally anchor?

I have found them to be more hassle than they are worth on smaller boats in a lot of circumstances and yet a well set up one (stress free) impressed me recently but stll found the power down to slow to anchor accurately but with a bit more practice??

Pel

Edited by pelican

I have recently fitted a muir drum winch to my 2006 caribbean intruder, I added about 2kg of f/g resin and about 4-5mt of chopstrand matt and about 1mt of woven matt and a kilo of flow coat to the bulkhead in the anchor well. The bulk of the glass went into the corners where the bulkhead joins the hull and about 5mm of glass accross the bulkhead where the winch is. I was quoted about $800 for the fiberglass work but it cost me about $100-120