Jigging Outfit

Wigg

hey wigg i'm in the same boat just can't part with the cash[to tight]

but this is what i'm looking at

shimano calcutta te 400l jv

tescata rod

and a bag full off lucanus gigs

well we are already over the thou mark

i may just buy the jigs and use something i already have that will still set me back 250 odd

cherrs gary

Shorts and a singlet would be the go with this warm weather i reckon.

seriousy though a spheros 14000 is a good reel for jigging and you can upgrade to the stella the drag and handle later when you have more cash at your disposal. try find a t curve 400 deep jig second hand or on special.

i use the 400 with my avet and it jigs magical, have got a mates spheros too at the moment and its awsome for jigging.

Cheers,

Adrian.

Gotta agree with Adrian,

I have an upgraded Spheros/Tcurve combo and its great to jig with, nice and light too (bloody tiring work though).

from memory I got mine for around $400 spooled that was a year or two ago aswell, so you'll probably do much better than that now if you shop around.

Good luck with it mate.

Allen

the sustain is a great reel and i own both the 8000 and 4000 in the new models, but for deep water jigging i feel that the 8000 does not have enough spool capacity when you are using lines above 50lb braid. this is only my thoughts though and the sustain is a great reel and will stand up to anything

Sustain spools corrode prematurely according to some raiders, ironic name...

I would buy Dodgem's Z20 saltiga, spend the rest on a rod: daiwa, shimano, pflueger are all good. You then have a top reel/line NO upgrades or fiddling required well below replacement cost. Lightweight & powerful, much better suited for downrigging than threadline.

Do you want a NEW hyundai with riceboy wing & sports exhaust or a quality USED sports car designed for performance from the ground up?

That is the question!

Sustain spools corrode prematurely according to some raiders, ironic name...

I would buy Dodgem's Z20 saltiga, spend the rest on a rod: daiwa, shimano, pflueger are all good. You then have a top reel/line NO upgrades or fiddling required well below replacement cost. Lightweight & powerful, much better suited for downrigging than threadline.

Do you want a NEW hyundai with riceboy wing & sports exhaust or a quality USED sports car designed for performance from the ground up?

That is the question!

Id have to agree with Jigholio. Go the Z20 and look for a quality rod. They do pop up here from time to time - or give the site sponsors a call. Im sure they can point you in the right directon

Evets

Thanks for the input but I would prefer an eggbeater

This setup will be used occasionaly for jigging and mainly downrigging

Unfortunately I dont have enough coin for 2 seperate outfits

What does everybody think of the Jigwrex rod?

I have just spoken to Pete from Go Fish ( would rather spend the money with a site sponsor than elsewhere)

Cheers

Wigg

wigg,

as others have said if you are going to use it mostly for downrigging, go with that second hand saltiga z20. Overheads are so much easier for running with downriggers. And with the very narrow spool of the Z20 when you jig you dont have too many problems with having to lay line on evenly.

I have a Saltiga Z30, a Z4500, Torsa, and Sw20000 stella.

The Z30 and the torsa are my favourites by far!!! No need to flick bail arms over etc. Just put it in free spool and drop the bomb, Set your drag and away you go.

just my $0.02c

vince

Mate go with a Eggbeater as overheads are not the best to jig with......and the z series Saltiga's do not have a rachet built in which dont make them the best downrigging reels, You can be navigating through some moorings and not keeping an eye on the rod and then a kingy hits and you would never know.

A rachet is a must for downriging if you plan to do it alone or if your like me and my mates where we are more focused on where we are going and chatting away then watching the rod like a hawk

Ditch the Jigwrex as they are too stiff, Replace the sustain with a Saragosa and then whack it on a T-Curve Jigstick.....awesome outfit that was designed for jigging and would double up for Livebaiting and downrigging no problem.

Edited by netic

Netic,

you have a point on the ratchet thing on the Z saltiga bit i find that i mostly just hear the hookup.. Tends to make enough noise when the rod totally loads up and doubles over in the holder.. I also fish solo quite a bit and dont find this too much of a problem but i suopse when your making as much noise on the water as you guys do.. well it would never be heard... :074:

sorry, couldnt resist. :thumbup: