Checking The Health Of Your Live Bait When Trolling

Kruzenvax

Hi all,

With the season opening I'm going to start trolling (kingfish, etc). My question is: say, I rigged the yakka, deployed it on the downrigger and started trolling. Assuning I don't have visble bites, how frequently should I raise the bomb and check is the livebait allright? Don't want to waste time and trouble the livebait too often, yet don't want to troll with dead livebait (or no livebait at all). Anything changes if I use a live squid?

Thanks

Hi all,

With the season opening I'm going to start trolling (kingfish, etc). My question is: say, I rigged the yakka, deployed it on the downrigger and started trolling. Assuning I don't have visble bites, how frequently should I raise the bomb and check is the livebait allright? Don't want to waste time and trouble the livebait too often, yet don't want to troll with dead livebait (or no livebait at all). Anything changes if I use a live squid?

Thanks

Mate Yakka's are that hardy , as long as their getting air and

you haven't put the hook too close backbone they will last for days,

on bad days, I have changed them all, put them in a keeper

and used them next day.

Hi all,

Thanks

Have you thought about buying the Walker Strike Vision Downrigger?

With the camera you can see the condition of your bait and record the strike also.

Check this link

http://www.walkerdownriggers.com/strike_vision.html