Broken Bay Salmon

the1murph

Got up early this morning and went for a buzz round broken bay to see if there was any surface action around, after not seeing anything I went to box head and tried to sound out some fish, then as i passed round the other side of the head saw the water exploding and quickly fired of a cast and started to crank it back straight threw the school...... nothing. it was strange i was using a tiny metal lure and the school was going ballistic and not even a touch. So the next cast got it right into the school and started working the metal lure really slowly like a SP and bang I was on straight away, did this twice and got two fish then they disappeared great fun on the light gear.

Every other time ive casted lures at schools of salmon they only usually take it if its going fast so it was a bit weird. Same thing happening for anyone else?

post-5839-1222750423_thumb.jpg

Only ever tried eating them a few times but never liked them so i thought i would give them another shot tonight. Anyone got any good ways to cook them up??

post-5839-1222750469_thumb.jpg

Jack

Got up early this morning and went for a buzz round broken bay to see if there was any surface action around, after not seeing anything I went to box head and tried to sound out some fish, then as i passed round the other side of the head saw the water exploding and quickly fired of a cast and started to crank it back straight threw the school...... nothing. it was strange i was using a tiny metal lure and the school was going ballistic and not even a touch. So the next cast got it right into the school and started working the metal lure really slowly like a SP and bang I was on straight away, did this twice and got two fish then they disappeared great fun on the light gear.

Every other time ive casted lures at schools of salmon they only usually take it if its going fast so it was a bit weird. Same thing happening for anyone else?

post-5839-1222750423_thumb.jpg

Only ever tried eating them a few times but never liked them so i thought i would give them another shot tonight. Anyone got any good ways to cook them up??

post-5839-1222750469_thumb.jpg

Jack

WHen the salmon are fussy try plastics from 3" bass minnows on 1/8th jig heads to 6" sluggos on worm hooks. Most important is to watch which way the school travels, move the boat infront of them and cast back to them. They seem to not like peeling away to eat but if it's infront of them they will chase it down.

If all else fails the fly rod is deadly!

G

Sounds like fish are moving in everywhere.

I've tried salmon once and can safely say i won't again. Its too strong and oily, way better fish to eat than that if you ask me.

I've heard from other people that they can make pretty good fish cakes and can be ok when baked but i wouldn't expect anything special.

Jack

Hey Mate,

Fillet the sambos, throw them into some boiling water with a brick, when the brick softens, throw the sambo away and eat the brick :1prop:

Sorry Mate... Not a big fan of the sambos at all!! Best served in the arvo out of the smoker with fish in one hand and a beer in the other!!

Cheers

Ben

Jack

Hey Mate,

Fillet the sambos, throw them into some boiling water with a brick, when the brick softens, throw the sambo away and eat the brick :1prop:

hahaha yeh thats the sort of impression i got from them last time thought there might be some secret recipe that could make them taste OK

Thanks mate

Jack

Hi,

I rate salmon if prepared properly.(I baked one whole once and it was atrocius!) They must be Skinned and filleted.

Dust in flour, dip in lightly beaten egg, roll in crumbs (I throw a few weet bix in the blender for crumbs) and gently fry in olive oil. Don't over cook.

Alternately, I posted a very good curry recipe for salmon in the kitchn section.

A mate of mine cooks the fillets, lets them cool and shreds the cooked meat for fish cakes...I reckon they were excellent.

I have had them done as Thai fish cakes too.

Another mate reckons you soak the flesh in milk and it makes a big difference. The curry recipe I posted uses a yogurt marinade and it's a great feed.

Enjoy your tucker and tight lines,

Koalaboi

Nice catch mate. I don't know why every one complains about salmon. It's not Snapper, so why expect it to tast like Snaper. I skin and bone Salmon, dice it about 1cm squares, marinate it for a few hours in: Ketjap Manis (sweet soy), sweet chilli, a squeeze of lime juice and fresh choped Corianda. Pan fry and serve in a lettuce leaf. (like fish San Chow Bow)

Interesting you should say that;

I have just rediscovered fishing having done plenty land based as a youngun. I went surf fishing about a month ago and after getting the shits with pilchards falling off hooks spent a couple of hours with the lures. I started off with fast steady retrieves for the 1st 45 min then decided to get some more rhythm into my retrieve planning to allow the lure to dip/ hop a bit. On the second cast with the changed method I had a 47cm "salmon", within the next hour 30 min I had another about 38cm. Everyone else on the beach was using bait and no one was catching although there had been a run about 5 hours earlier.

Could have been a coincidence?

Nice catch mate. I don't know why every one complains about salmon. It's not Snapper, so why expect it to tast like Snaper. I skin and bone Salmon, dice it about 1cm squares, marinate it for a few hours in: Ketjap Manis (sweet soy), sweet chilli, a squeeze of lime juice and fresh choped Corianda. Pan fry and serve in a lettuce leaf. (like fish San Chow Bow)

hey mate that sounds awesome i might try that with the second salmon tomorrow.

I just had the first one now and it was SOOO GOOD! haha better than any brick. (did fish cakes) i think ill be keeping them for the table more often.

Jack

post-5839-1222769810_thumb.jpg

Just finished eatin my salmon i caught sat morning.

Poach it, my chef friend showed me over the weekend and it actually tastes quite alright.

1. Put bout 2 litres of water in a pot and put it on the heat. Add the rind of a large lemon and that of a lime. No need to grate it off. Just cut the skin of and dump it in. Add bout 20mls vinegar to the water and a few decent pinches of salt. Bring it to the simmer. Do not boil it. the water should be kept at bout 70'C for the cookin bit. just lightly steaming but no bubbles or boils showing

2. While its heating up cut of the head and tail and dump em in the pot too. Then fillet the fish. Nice large chunks bout 3 inches long. I shanked it either side of the bone and then filleted such that i removed pointless skinny bits of flesh and cut away any bones.I was left with nice large cuts of fish.

3. Once ur done filleting you can remove the fish head and tail from the pot but leave the bits of lemon and lime. The water should have been hot for bout 15 mins to let the flavour get thru it. Now immerse the fish chunks in the water. Cook them between 5 and 10mins depedning on how thick they are.

4. remove with a straining spoon thingy. not tongs else they break up..slice up the lemon and lime thinly and put em on top of the fish to serve. eat with salad or woteva else u feel like.. i actually made this lemon butter sauce which went down sweet.

tasted great. I used to hate it but since being show how to poach it i actually enjoy eatin it..i ended up eatin almost half a 55cm salmon haha.

also u can swap the lemon lime for woteva u want. my mate sed that the water will pick up the flavours from woteva u use. he did it with orange peel and it seemed to work great. try puttin any herb u like in the water aswell..

Hey Mate,

Sorry Mate... Not a big fan of the sambos at all!! Best served in the arvo out of the smoker with fish in one hand and a beer in the other!!

Cheers

Ben

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOO HAHA

Hi kingy kid.

where abouts do live in Avalon. Ive lived and fished up round here for 15 years .we should catch up for a fishing session.

What i like about this site is that people have veriety and people seem to really like cooking fish. Keep up the good work everyone.

Kingy kid ive caught plenty of salmon , i dont really keep them often but cooked in the right way as you have they taste great .

I caught a stomper up off nth Ballania wall a few years ago when i was staying with a few chef mates . I made a thai red curry , grilled the salmon steaks and served the steaks in the red curry. I have cooked them a few times but this dish was amazing. The secret is to bleed and gut the fish straight away chill it so as not to let the flavour develope to much. another point is when you skin it make sure you take off as much of the blood line as possible ,lots of oil in this area. Oil = flavour but most important is not to over cook it thats when it dries out and all the oils in the flesh taste bitter and strong.

good luck and hope to see you out on the water one day.

cheers john

Hello Kingy Kid,

Like a few of the other posts ensure you bleed and gut straight away and my fav is straight out of the smoker on toast with cracked pepper and a squeeze of lemon. This is a great breakfast if you have had an early morning session.

Cheers