Yellow Fin Fever!

R_Zee

Hello guys,

fished off sydney this afternoon aboard Donko Bros with skipper Kelvin and our friend Sean.

Tried to get out around mid day but we had to turn back due to big seas.

Fished the harbour for 4 kingies then headed to 12 mile as the conditions got better and jigged half a dozen kings. We were running out of time if we wanted to put the pillies we had in the kill tank to use.

after second thoughts due to sloppy conditions got to our mark and started cubing at 5:15pm.

about an hour later a school of stripies bust up was greeted by our casting outfits and we had 2 on as soon as the poppers hit the water. While we were hooked, one of the livies takes off, 2 minutes later a jelly bean of around 10kg was boated.

I checked the other rod to find the livie has been robbed.

Big bust ups behind the boat indicated there were more fish.We could see the fish feeding on the cubes.We were all on in no time.

After landing half a dozen fish i dropped a 250gm knife jig and i was on!

After a couple of hookups on jigs i was having a drink and i see this mass approaching the boat..

A big striped marlin was right on the surface 5m away from the boat. the fish was lit up and by then we had ran out of livies. Kelvin had colour on a yellowfin around 10kg when all 3 of us saw the marlin take the jelly bean whole and take off. Kelvin had him on for about 3 minutes until the 70lb leader wore through.

We were fishing with our jigging braid outfits and we didnt have any bigger leader to suit a beakie..not that we were going to leave our cube trail in a hurry.

All up we hooked up about 30 fish, landed 20 or so and kept enough for food.

Thank you to Kelvin for great company and a magic day out

and for Stewy for the tip last night... i made sure i stocked up on pillies and all up we went through over 15kg of cubes in 3-4 hours.

They are out there go get em!

R_Zee

post-2217-1223215396_thumb.jpg

Edited by R_Zee

Nice work Tony , about time you caught a decent fish ( i.e. not a kingy )- I can't believe how keen the YFT were on the jig on Sunday either , just wish I'd given it a go 3 months back when the bigguns were around ....

Hey Andrew- I am still spewing about losing one of my favourite jigs to that bloody marlin!.

I almost had a sluggo or a gulp out in the cube trail. The only problem was that we were running out of outfits. Sean who was our cuber had broken one of the rods and all the other 30 and 50lb outfits were either hooked on a fish or being used. Thought about throwing one of these plastics on 15lb gear but it would have bored the other guys to death seeing me battle a fish on this. Was very tempted however.

I had to pull the plug on the action as Tony and Sean would have stayed out all night. They were thinking about cubing up the YFT but I just started the motor and headed home.CHeers Kelvin

Nice work Tony , about time you caught a decent fish ( i.e. not a kingy )- I can't believe how keen the YFT were on the jig on Sunday either , just wish I'd given it a go 3 months back when the bigguns were around ....

HA HA very funny! kingies aren't too bad :D

The tuna were hitting the jigs on the drop every time.. I can't wait to do it again!

post-2217-1223350205_thumb.jpg

Tony

Well done on the fish champ..... a little birdy told me you guys did ok...... Did Kelvin let you take the fish out yourself??? i know he becomes aggressive when the fish are on a bite??? i also hear some snapped a rod on that trip.

Either way top top stuff...... you should start posting some pics of the kings your have been getting recently

Tony

Well done on the fish champ..... a little birdy told me you guys did ok...... Did Kelvin let you take the fish out yourself??? i know he becomes aggressive when the fish are on a bite??? i also hear some snapped a rod on that trip.

Either way top top stuff...... you should start posting some pics of the kings your have been getting recently

Hey Greg

after the first half a dozen no one was responding to the "get the gaff" call...

we wer gaffing our own fish.. and yes we had some close incidents and a few pulled hooks as we couldnt wait to land the fish to get another one.

it was action packed for a couple of hours. i wish i had taken a couple of pics of the marlin so close to the boat...

i think people are getting bored of kingfish reports. We will be targetting YFT and may be some snapper on plastics in the next few days when the weather wont allow us to get out further.

I took stewy's advice and rigged up my 50w tiagra with 37kg line and some heavy traces with size 20 hooks incase another beakie turns up. i have bought some heavy metal traces with suitable crimps as well...

i think the Donko brothers are getting abit of a feel for the deep blue... i also wiped the dust off my

outriggers.. my diary at work has never had so many cancellations and rescheduling.

there's a chance i will be out there tomorrow, thursday, friday arvo, saturday and sunday..

i think im beyond addicted :wacko:

R_Zee

You can keep your 50W! My 50W's are all retired. Getting too old to lug around heavy gear.

This is a better way to catch marlin-

post-2057-1223418101_thumb.jpg.

We are fishing at port stephens for small blacks and stripes. This my daiwa saltiga gear with 50lb braid with a mono top shot. Nice and light but heaps of power.

post-2057-1223418155_thumb.jpg

No need for harnesses and you are fighting the fish not the gear. The paper light and finger thin jigging type rods can dead lift 20kg. With braid there is no line stretch and all the power is put on the fish. I have seen the light and will not be going back.

The Donko Bros just keeps on racking it up. Just hope the gel coat stays intact! CHeers Kelvin

You can keep your 50W! My 50W's are all retired. Getting too old to lug around heavy gear.

We are fishing at port stephens for small blacks and stripes. This my daiwa saltiga gear with 50lb braid with a mono top shot. Nice and light but heaps of power.

No need for harnesses and you are fighting the fish not the gear. The paper light and finger thin jigging type rods can dead lift 20kg. With braid there is no line stretch and all the power is put on the fish. I have seen the light and will not be going back.

The Donko Bros just keeps on racking it up. Just hope the gel coat stays intact! CHeers Kelvin

:1yikes: i can but dream what a rush

Top quality session...

That woulda been an awesome day/night out...

Good to see the 'fin are back...

Should see if maybe some fishraiders want to try and hook up with Ross Hunter and chase some fin again out of Botany...

Like a lil raider outting...

Cheers

Ben

The day we had 50lb iron braid wrap around the motor while fighting a small black.

Someone had to jump out of the boat to untangle the line!!

and we still landed the fish!!

cant wait to do it again this year

i am just surprised that no one has asked who the Donko Bros are LOL!!! they sure seem to be doing good on the fishing front i mean they have only been around a few months and i am SURE that close to 1000....Yes One Thousand kings have been landed whilst in the company of the Bros.... When i was with them we got over 50 in 1 outing........i am only spewing as to when i caught my P.B my happiness was short lived because with 30secs Kelvin pulled out a hoodlem and put me to shame :1badmood::mad3:

Tony seems time for the trophy to start working the inner waters... any decent specimens around?? have you sounded around sailors bay lately???

Wish i could have been there with you guys but i am stuck in canberra....Spewing... maybe next time

I think you are short changing the Donko Bros as that tally is old news. The real count is the hoodlums and that is going very nicely.

The best aspect about the Donko Bros is that it allows us to try new things in fishing and allows us to get out and in fast. Experimenting with new ideas is the best fun. No good just hammering old nails.

Getting an inshore electronics up grade in the next couple of weeks with a new 997 side scan and an electric. Trying to get the best of both worlds. CHeers kelvin