Jew On Blades.

Red

G'day Raiders,

Fished Botany today with Steve "Rodholder" on his swanky Triton fishing machine. The plan was to spend 1hr trying to get a few calamari and to try and convert them into kings. Well the first part went well with 24 calamari doing time in the bait tanks. 18 of the calamari were tanks with one absolute monster and only two being small enough as live baits.

The kings weren't home so we decided to have a go at bream on the blades. They too were on holidays :074: .

We persist and half an hour later, bang.....hooked up to something solid on the 4lb tackle. After a deep slugfest an 82cm jew is boatside and netted.

After a few high fives and a quick happy snap, we go back to the possie where the hookup came from and the very next cast.....BANG! This fish was on a mission and obviously of a much better class. There was only a couple of metres left on the spool so we chase it down but were seriously undergunned. After a great fight, the fish wore through the 4lb and thoroughly deserved its freedom.

Steve, thanks for another memorable day out. I can feel a good season coming on :thumbup:

Cheers

Red

Edited by Red

G'day Raiders,

Fished Botany today with Steve "Rodholder" on his swanky Triton fishing machine. The plan was to spend 1hr trying to get a few calamari and to try and convert them into kings. Well the first part went well with 24 calamari doing time in the bait tanks. 18 of the calamari were tanks with one absolute monster and only two being small enough as live baits.

The kings weren't home so we decided to have a go at bream on the blades. They too were on holidays :074: .

We persist and half an hour later, bang.....hooked up to something solid on the 4lb tackle. After a deep slugfest an 82cm jew is boatside and netted.

After a few high fives and a quick happy snap, we go back to the possie where the hookup came from and the very next cast.....BANG! This fish was on a mission and obviously of a much better class. There was only a couple of metres left on the spool so we chase it down but were seriously undergunned. After a great fight, the fish wore through the 4lb and thoroughly deserved its freedom.

Steve, thanks for another memorable day out. I can feel a good season coming on :thumbup:

Cheers

Red

Hmm just put a couple of new blades in the tackle box been reading some of the mag articles on this topic,

may need to think of a bigger quarry, great report and thanks for the feed back on the blades.

Cheers guys and happy blading to all. Went out for a quick calamari session this morning and once again had a ball. This time they were even more ravenous with 25 hitting the deck in 40 minutes. Had to be home by 8am which meant no further fishing but at least the bait freezer is stocked and ready for the jewie season ahead. The calamari are rather large at the moment and the challenge will be to find jews large enough to engulf them. Hope the pic works.

Cheers

Red

post-799-1223805223_thumb.jpg

Looks like your stocked up with bait for this season!

Wish you luck turning them into jews/kings!

Thanks mate. Got enough for a few sessions so will give the calamari a break for a while.

My jewie form hasn't been great in recent times, however between my brother, Aero, Rodholder and JJ......one of these guys is going to nail a cracker.

Cheers

Red

Well done Red,

Bout time you stayed connected to one, after the run of bad luck you've had with these fish on 4lb, things were bound to swing in your favour.

Lucky Mick and I cleaned out all the pesky bream from that area 8 hours prior, and left the jews no option but to eat the blades !

Nice southerns too !

Chris

Well done Red,

Bout time you stayed connected to one, after the run of bad luck you've had with these fish on 4lb, things were bound to swing in your favour.

Lucky Mick and I cleaned out all the pesky bream from that area 8 hours prior, and left the jews no option but to eat the blades !

Nice southerns too !

Chris

Thanks Chris, it had to happen one day. Both you and Steve have been putting me onto quality fish whilst breaming but stopping them before they find the structure has proved impossible. It was good to land the small one just to put an end to the frustration.

Thanks for cleaning out all the bream too :074: I hear you had a blinder session saturday arvo with both numbers and size. Steve and i were cursing you as we couldn't get a sniff but the jewfish encounters made up for it.

Still spewing about the bigger fish we've lost, especially that keg in the Roseville flats that beat us after being in it with a great chance but won't be making the same mistakes again. From here on its minimum 8lb leader on the blades :thumbup: .

Cheers

Red

Excellent catch Red

I suspect we will see many jews caught on blades once more people throw them further away from bream holding structure and into deeper areas. Specially now there are some bigger models instores. Can't wait to try them out on the wrecks for snapper and jews.......

Great stuff Red. Shame about the larger model winning it's freedom & now wearing some very nice jewellery! :biggrin2:

Top squid to mate. They're big alright! :1yikes: Wish I could find them up this way. :(

Can't wait to see the pics of the 20kg+ model jew one of you boys are sure to nail soon.

Cheers,

Grant.

Very nice Jewie and some fine looking squid, especially in those numbers.

With the success you are having on the blades I think the squid would be a better option on the dinner plate.

Off topic a little - but where do you get that safety netting for the trampolene. Great idea for the kids.

Cheers

Mariner

Grant, if you ever come down to Sydney, feel free to drop in for a beer and i'll give you some squid to take home.

GregL, hope you enjoy your bluewater years. Its a whole new world and can be much tougher than river/estuary fishing at times but also much more rewarding with the variety and size on offer. I'm sure the reds will nail the blades. Looking forward to your reports :thumbup:

Chris, i like the way you think :074: Pulled in to the local tacklo yesterday and bought some 8lb flouro. No doubt the heavy leader will only result in a reduction of bites and we'll be back down to 4lb before too long :1prop:

Just had visions of the blade eating jew that done you over in the Harhour. Pure class :biggrin2:

Mariner, the safety net came with the tramp. From memory, the brand is called Action. The scallywags have a ball in it and i have piece of mind. It doubles up as a great bargaining tool which is a bonus.....homework must be completed before they get to use it :thumbup: Works a treat!

Cheers

Red