Ettalong Beach Sunday

copa catch

Hi all, It's my first post but have have been reading many great fishing post and the one's that have got away, keep em coming as it keeps me amused at work :D

It went to ettalong beach with my girlfriend and the dogs sunday morning around 9:30-10am. Got some servo prawns and pillies and went almost to the point. I put 2 hooks on with the prawn on 1 and the pillie on the other.

Realing my bait in and i saw 2 squid chasing my bait so i tied a squid jig to the line as well as the bait and through it back out. It sank to the bottom got pushed aroung in the current and BANG pulled in a 30cm+ size squid cast again and the same thing. I was exceted as it beens years since i'v'e pulled one in.

I took the hooks of and just left the squid jig and after 50 casts with no result i put the hooks and the bait back on and straight away another squid on the jig. then it was dead low tide and all whent quite.

When thinking about it later the squid most of been attracted to the bait and had a go at the jig, maybe also the weight made it get to the bottom where they where hiding as the sun was getting high, but what do i know it was proberly just luck.

Keep up the good work,

Peter

Welcome to Fishraiders Peter, a good story for your first post too. May have been a bit of luck but it sounds like a good idea to me, will have to give it a try next time Im out. Have often hung a jig out while fishing but not one with a bait on/near it.

Hope to hear more in the future.

Cheers Steve

Well done Copa Catch! And :1welcomeani: to Fishraider!

I was down there yesterday & someone had caught 3 nice squid, put them on the BBQ & walked off! :1yikes: I couldn't believe it! Wish i'd known they were there ...... I had my squid jigs in the trailer!!

Cheerio

Roberta

A couple of months ago I saw a guy using a technique I've never seen. A float with a light (flouro stick) and about a metre trace a dropper in the middle with a squid jig on it and running down to squid spike.

The week before I'd gone down and just jigging landed two big squid so I was wrapped. The day I was squiding next to this guy He pulled in three good ones and I ended up with bird nests snags and didn't even get a look in. So I tried it last Saturday night and it was very slow fishing but ended up with my biggest squid to date definitely over a kilo. Funny enough it took the jig instead of the squid spike and the three guys squiding next to me I only saw one landed in the three hours. Could be just luck but the pillie might have been the difference.

However I'd advise using another bait than pillie unless maybe if they are salted on the squid spike they soften up to much I used rubber bands to keep them on which worked but I reckon a fresh yakka would be great.

Anyone else have good luck using this technique

I've only occasionally picked up squid in Brisbane Waters but each time it has been due to them following up a bait. When I've specifically targeted them with jigs I've not had any luck.

Maybe this is one of the 'secrets' of BW? Squid need to be teased to be caught.

Peter - quick question - were you anywhere near reef or was this capture over sand? I ask because I'd be surprised to hear that squid ever ventured far from a reefy habitat.

Well done, it's called being resourseful.

You guys jigging for kingies at the peak should consider it also.

I never jig without some form of "bait" attached to the hook. Especially when over reefs.

Drop down the jig, lift a couple of turns, wait 10 to 20 seconds - then reel in.

You will be surprised at the results.

Cheers

Mariner

:biggrin2:

I've only occasionally picked up squid in Brisbane Waters but each time it has been due to them following up a bait. When I've specifically targeted them with jigs I've not had any luck.

Maybe this is one of the 'secrets' of BW? Squid need to be teased to be caught.

Peter - quick question - were you anywhere near reef or was this capture over sand? I ask because I'd be surprised to hear that squid ever ventured far from a reefy habitat.

I think it was over a mixture of sand and weed, i was fishing from the shore and i know defenetly no reef, theres a big drop off and the current can flow strong throught there i even saw a big squid come swim by my feet. I will be up there next week for some more action and maybe put out a livie and see what i get.

Peter